Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Ksrt-
That's funny because I was LOVING my oatmeal this morning with heavy cream in it!! LOL
I did try whole fat plain yogurt the other day and it was a little hard to eat. I did add some strawberries, pecans and tried to sweeten it a little with some Whey Low (low glycemic sweetner). It still wasn't quite sweet enough for my liking--too bitter/sour.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 15:36
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
I may never reach 130, but it may be because I have some great muscle tone.

Same thing happened to me. Thought I should be 125, but where I am now I'm the same size I was last time I weighed 10 lb less.

Quote:
Almost all low fat or non fat yogurt contain sugar additives, especially flavored ones.

Mostly true. Be a label reader. I found a store brand plain low-fat yogurt that is just cultured low-fat milk with added milk proteins. It's higher in protein than the whole fat and has less calories because of the lower fat content. It's the only low-fat one I've found that is only cultured milk. It pays to bring the reading glasses to the store.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 10:44

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello. Artic, m1, Mom to 3 and Krst--

I've been hanging out on the high fatters thread and lost this one until it showed up in my mailbox.

It's super to have some successful veterans who made it to the finish line and are maintaining. You're my heroes! Heroines, too!

I see you make a lot of savvy evaluations. I'm organic as much as I can locate. I'm cooking in organic coconut oil mixed with extra virgin olive oil.

Now I can throw away any teflon pans that might be carcinogenic.

I didn't realize that the ratio of carbs to protein was 2:1--I've actually been striving for a carb to protein ratio of 1:2!

Today's BBC On line News carries a story about a 40 yr old woman on Atkins who is said to have died of acidoketosis (or somesuch). OD'd on cheese and meat, some claim.

With the kind of eating that Artic and Krst are exemplifying, no such charges could be brought. Your way of eating is the soul of reasonableness.

As fat as plain yogurt, the very best sources I've found are either the Greek brand Fage whole fat yogurt or yogurt from local middle eastern dairies. It's as solid as a ball of butter, almost! Creamy? Ohmigosh!

Please keep checking in, even if you have "arrived!"
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi all -

Just wanted to add that you can actually make yogurt out of just plain cream. We bought a yogurt maker at our local Wal-Mart. You need to have a "starter," so I had to buy a container of full-fat yogurt (Dannon) and just used that according to the directions that came with the yogurt maker. Always remember to keep some of your yogurt back for your next batch. You just use cream instead of regular milk. You can even add just a wee bit of Stevia, if you should desire a little sweetness. Delicious on berries and for making smoothies.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

Krst, thanks for posting your story, it makes it easier for me to accept gaining weight (I've got burned out adrenals) as I heal. I hope you keep posting on the boards!!

See you all around
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

how about sauteing some onion and pepper and adding it to your eggs as you scramble them, I do this the night before and pack it up as I go to the gym before work then at work I nuke it and eat while i work

I am getting quite fond of celery dipped in natural peanut butter :-)

for next week I am making a pot of soup, chicken veggies, and beans for the carbs, maybe 1 potato I will see how it looks when i get there :-) I do that and freeze in servings and take it for my lunches

cottage cheese and veggies

rice crackers, string cheese and carrots

yogurt with berries and veggies
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 19:20
Registered Member

BF:

I was really skeptical about the plain yogurt but decided to give it a try, I love it it with berries but use frozen, so the first day I thawed the berries and added it to the yogurt and by my break it was like yogurt soup, tasty but not the greatest texture, so I drained some yogurt( put yogurt in a strainer lined with a coffee filter, on a bowl of course til all the liquid drains out) mixed in the thawed berries added a few chopped nuts...yum, its not really sweet but it doesn't have that bitter edge, and its has a super creamy texture, like a pudding, almost feels like I am having desert :-)
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 18:11
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

And it has fewer carbs because you drained off the whey.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 23:26

BF:

Whey cool.

If you can find a brand of full fat yogurt from Greece called Fage, it's utterly divine. It is strained. It reminds me of Devonshire cream (clotted cream) from England. It is far from our U.S. supermarket brands like Dannon and Mountain High, which seem bitter and watery.

I get the Fage yogurt (it's made in Greece, not just Greek style) at Trader Joe's, but I realize that worldwide there are not that many Trader Joe's yet, though it seems only outdone by Starbucks in the number of new stores that open weekly.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:

its funny but I started this less than 2 weeks ago, and I felt "skinny" ...lol...this morning so I tried on my goal jeans (I buy jeans that i can get on - barely - and its my job to work myself down into them) anyway THEY FIT!! tho the scale does not reflect this loss, needless to say I smiled all day long :-)
by the way these were the first misses (rather than womens) size jeans I bought since i was 21, my 18's are almost to big, mostly I have 16's and I have a pair of 14's on layaway (new goal jeans)
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 08:33
Registered Member

BF:

Tazzieone--good for you!! I love having proof that the scale doesn't always matter So are you still following the Healing plan? Could you give me a sample day menu that you would eat? It would help me to better visualize what a day on the Healing might look like. Thanks!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:

Santabarb--
I went to Trader Joes yesterday and saw the Fage--I was so excited Now they had whole and 2% so I had to decide which to get. I am kind of trying to do low-sat fat so I compared the labels. The whole one has 23 grams of fat, 7 carbs and 7 brams of sugars (and 300 cals). The 2% has 4 grams of fat, 8 carbs and 8 grams of sugar (130 cals).
As you can see, the fat and the cals are a pretty big difference but the carbs and sugars aren't. I chose the 2%. Do you think that's ok or would you have gotten the whole? I just had the 2% with strawberries and pecans and it was soooo rich I can't imagine how rich the whole one must be!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 11:01

BF:

Cool. I'm so glad that tiny bit of info was useful to someone out there!

I've been going with Schwarzbein's caveat to use !00% fat dairy at all times, organic when findable and affordable....

In the SPI book (the only one I have actually), she steers you away from half and half to whipping cream, 2% milk to whole milk, advocates full fat cheeses, etc. So I've been going with that principle. What do I know?

From your label stats the carb and sugar content between the full fat Fage and the lower fat Fage seems negligible to me.

But yeah, from a calorie point of view, spray the pan with PAM, use lowfat milk, lf cottage cheese, ff coffee whitener, lf yogurt...

Olive oil and full fat dairy certainly ups the calories big time!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 17:22
Registered Member

BF:

breakfast : 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 packet of organic oatmeal and some veggies (depends what I have) --if I don't have that I make scrambled eggs the night before (I break up 1/2 corn tortilla and brown it, brown veggies, scramble in eggs, top with a bit of cheese yummmmmmmm)
snack: yogurt with berries and a sprinkle of nuts
Lunch: 2 of my faves are home made soup (that way I control ingredients and carbs) or a big salad with chicken breast and dressing, rice crackers and maybe some baby carrots, or cuke
Dinner: Fish, winter squash, artichoke dipped in butter (also I keep turkey cutlets and turkey burger in the freezer for variety...along with frozen veggies for fast meals)
and I splurged and had a night time snack of apple with peanut butter --usually I don't eat after dinner
other snacks like are string cheese, or cottage cheese with nuts
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 20:59
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Tazzieone...but I thought you weren't supposed to have gluten on the Healing plan (you said you have oatmeal--isn't that a gluten product?)