Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2011   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

I been feeling quite crappy and I did not know why. When I went to the health food store I was asked how I feel. It must show and I said crappy. He said get some sun. I said yeah one summer I walked outside a lot and I felt better.

So I am trying to do that this year and what to do about winter I have no idea of what to do.

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2012   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 02:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Science Daily Online:

Quote:
Is Vitamin D Deficiency Linked To Alzheimer's Disease And Vascular Dementia?

ScienceDaily (May 27, 2009) — There are several risk factors for the development of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia. Based on an increasing number of studies linking these risk factors with Vitamin D deficiency, an article in the current issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (May 2009) by William B. Grant, PhD of the Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center (SUNARC) suggests that further investigation of possible direct or indirect linkages between Vitamin D and these dementias is needed.

Low serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] have been associated with increased risk for cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, depression, dental caries, osteoporosis, and periodontal disease, all of which are either considered risk factors for dementia or have preceded incidence of dementia. In 2008, a number of studies reported that those with higher serum 25(OH)D levels had greatly reduced risk of incidence or death from cardiovascular diseases.

Several studies have correlated tooth loss with development of cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia. There are two primary ways that people lose teeth: dental caries and periodontal disease. Both conditions are linked to low vitamin D levels, with induction of human cathelicidin by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D being the mechanism.

There is also laboratory evidence for the role of vitamin D in neuroprotection and reducing inflammation, and ample biological evidence to suggest an important role for vitamin D in brain development and function.

Given these supportive lines of evidence, Dr. Grant suggests that studies of incidence of dementia with respect to prediagnostic serum 25(OH)D or vitamin D supplementation are warranted. In addition, since the elderly are generally vitamin D deficient and since vitamin D has so many health benefits, those over the age of 60 years should consider having their serum 25(OH)D tested, looking for a level of at least 30 ng/mL but preferably over 40 ng/mL, and supplementing with 1000-2000 IU/day of vitamin D3 or increased time in the sun spring, summer, and fall if below those values.

Writing in the article, Dr. Grant states, "There are established criteria for causality in a biological system. The important criteria include strength of association, consistency of findings, determination of the dose-response relation, an understanding of the mechanisms, and experimental verification. To date, the evidence includes observational studies supporting a beneficial role of vitamin D in reducing the risk of diseases linked to dementia such as vascular and metabolic diseases, as well as an understanding of the role of vitamin D in reducing the risk of several mechanisms that lead to dementia."

Journal reference:

William B. Grant. Does Vitamin D Reduce the Risk of Dementia? Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 17:1 (May 2009)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90526140747.htm
  #2013   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 02:42

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyKat
I been feeling quite crappy and I did not know why. When I went to the health food store I was asked how I feel. It must show and I said crappy. He said get some sun. I said yeah one summer I walked outside a lot and I felt better.

So I am trying to do that this year and what to do about winter I have no idea of what to do.

Barb
I suggest you read Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol on the Vitamin D Council website here: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ and also check out the first page of this thread which has a lot of info and should give you a good idea of what you need to do.
  #2014   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 04:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all, now that you've gone over 2000 posts again, it's time to start a new thread.
  #2015   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 10:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

new thread located here .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=396439

Doreen
Closed Thread