Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1891   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 05:30

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome back Eno! I am wavering a wee bit about calp - not because it doesn't work, or isn't fast enough for me, or doable for a lifetime, it is. But because of a new health concern, Ketogenic is recommended. I am not sure there is any way to meld the two given how low carb keto is, and frankly, not sure I can do that kind of lifestyle. I probably won't.

I adore this plan. I am, after a massive dive off last Fall (and most of all, a creeping dive since July 2015), within an averaged couple of pounds of having lost the fall 2016 gain. Oddly, it works out to my usual pound a week, which if I keep up, means I will meet a little goal by next January.

It's my birthday tomorrow, so my goal right now is to enjoy it without being off plan. That would be an awesome gift
Sponsored Links
  #1892   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 13:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I follow the whole LCHF Keto discussion. I do think it's probably better, but I am stable on CALP and it works for me and it's now 14 years. I didn't celebrate while I was away, but I passed 14 years a couple of weeks ago.
I like the DIET DOCTOR website a lot- I think I sent you a link? The best source of info I've found. I wish I could help more, and if you want to email me or PM me about what's going on with you - I'm listening.

E
  #1893   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 13:26
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hello!
Tonight's RM (planned): salad, steak (flat iron that I've been marinating), corn n the cob, coleslaw.
later-
E
  #1894   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I follow the whole LCHF Keto discussion. I do think it's probably better, but I am stable on CALP and it works for me and it's now 14 years. I didn't celebrate while I was away, but I passed 14 years a couple of weeks ago.
I like the DIET DOCTOR website a lot- I think I sent you a link? The best source of info I've found. I wish I could help more, and if you want to email me or PM me about what's going on with you - I'm listening.

E

Hi Eno - thank you! I will do that.
  #1895   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 01:14

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Wishing you a belated happy birthday Pat! Hope you had a good day & everything went to plan for you!

Welcome back Eno & congrats to you on your 14 year CALP anniversary.
What a tremendous achievement.

I really don't think this plan will ever fizzle out because if people try it; it stands on its own merits.
If anyone asks if there's any diet i believe in; it's this one; for preventing obesity getting the upper hand, for weight loss and also for certain types of eating disorders; i think the CAD is a miracle worker.
It solves so many problems.

My big problem however is consistency! I just can't seem to get on plan and stay on it. CAD is my plan A, but i also need a plan b for those times i just can't do it. I have to prepare for the worst. The worst being---being off-plan.
Am way too temperamental and turbulent for various reasons. So that's mostly why i don't post more. Its' not pretty all my jerking about!
Anyway:

Patricia; i would think CALP would help you to achieve Keto would it not?
I heard people can enter Ketosis at carb intakes of around 40g or so.. maybe more or less?
Eno: Do you think your in Keto for some of the time since you are so
well controlled with your carb intake at the RM?
  #1896   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 02:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
no, I don't think I am in ketosis. I eat too many carbs and too little fat. I think I eat more than 20 carbs a day, and that seems to be a good threshold for ketosis. That's the limit Dr. Westman gives too. I also eat any type of carb I want- and most of the people I follow who do some type of ketogenic plan would never eat the alcohol/bread/corn/sugar that I do.

Last night's RM was a large salad, grilled chicken breast marinated in a sweet and hot chili sauce, sautéed kale, a slice of read and butter, very small glass of white wine, and about 6 blackberries. More than 20 carbs!

Tonight we are going to a very nice steakhouse. I am planning on salad, bread, steak, green beans, and berries. The friend we are going with stopped eating sugar or gluten last year, so she'll have potatoes instead of the bread will also ask for berries instead of the regular dessert.
  #1897   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 06:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/carb cycle/IF
Stats: 226/213/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've been following CAD and had vowed not to weigh in for 2 months. I broke my vow not to check the scale and weighed in after 2 weeks. I've dropped MAYBE 1/2 lb. Disappointing. HOWEVER, I'm feeling good, sleeping well, my mood and energy are up, cravings are gone, and I'm not hungry. Best of all, I'm not tempted to go off plan. That's huge! The only missing component is weight loss. For 3 days next week (Mon., Wed., and Fri.) I plan to incorporate CAD's Plan D and skip one CM (breakfast). That's the same as IF (intermittent fasting) or 16:8 (fast for 16 hours, eat during 8-hour window). We'll see how it goes.
  #1898   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 06:11

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Like Mary, I follow along with this thread but don't contribute much because I am too inconsistent with it. I am not good at following rules, especially with my eating. The closest I get to CAD/CALP is that I usually only eat carbs at dinner, and any other meals are low carb. I don't start my dinner with a salad all the time because salad tends to send me to the ladies room. If I had not developed diabetes, I would probably not be limiting my carbs as much as I do.

I think this is a very good plan. There's not a lot of participation because so many people are into keto/zero carb right now. Some people just cannot eat carbs without starting a binge, so staying away from them altogether works best for them. I think eating carbs only at one meal, and knowing which carbs to choose is a big key to success, and you ladies are proof of that.

I hope the thread does not die out. I enjoy reading along, and if you look at the number of views, a lot of other people do, too.
  #1899   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 11:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
thanks, Carol. Welcome Sharon!

I don't follow strict CALP, as it was written in the 1990s and we know more now, but I do follow it's (IMHO) main principles: carbs at one meal/day; balance those carbs with protein and veggies- lots of veggies. The other two meals are protein or protein + veggies. This is a LC way of eating, if you really balance the carbs with the salad/protein/veggies and eat them as a meal. For me it's also real food, no artificial sweeteners or sodas (every once in a while but not typical, and then only stevia), very limited snacking and alcohol. I read labels and avoid HFCS, all sugars that are added in, and all the crap additives and fake foods. Like I only buy jams that have fruit as the first ingredient and then only sugar as the sweetener. I tend to follow the hour limit for RMs, but if I'm at a fancy dinner (like tonight) I won't.
This basically works for me.
  #1900   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 08:14

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I have a question that might sound stupid. i love veggies. A lot of plans say that your plate should be half veggies and then the rest of the plate balanced between protein and carb. With the 1/3 rule, I am limiting my veggies to make them balance with the protein and carb. Would this still work if I ate a lot more veggies than the 1/3 allowance? Or, if I wanted more veggies after I finish my meal, could I eat more without having to also equal them with more protein and carb?
  #1901   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 09:10
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
not a stupid question. Remember the 1/3 rule doesn't include the salad, so of course you can have more veggies. IMHO have as many of the CM veggies as you want- the balancing is to limit the CARBS and eat them with protein and veggies.
E
  #1902   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 06:06
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
went out to dinner last night with my sisters- very unusual event. They had martinis and wine - I passed. I had a wedge salad with blue cheese and spiced pecans, and a crab cake. I also had a piece of warm bread and butter.

For CM breakfast today I had 2 slices of turkey bacon , 1 scrambled egg with swiss cheese, iced coffee.

I'll be at a meeting for lunch. RM dinner tonight will be wither fish or chicken on the grill, with salad and cucumbers and fruit for carb. DH got a watermelon and peaches at the farmer's market. If the watermelon is REALLY good I'll have some, otherwise I'll have a peach.
later-
E
  #1903   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 07:17

Eno - congratulations on your 14th anniversary - that is an amazing achievement.

Thanks MaryH, had a great birthday - but not good the two days after, so back to business today. I do not think you can do calp as a keto plan since it would require a max of 20gms carb per day and that is too low for me. The lowest I've seen (just happened, wasn't trying) was 50+ gms carb one day last week.
  #1904   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 10:19

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

There is nothing like getting back to business Patricia!

I'm trying to do the same today too.

I read an article about keto recently where it said that it really does involve quite intensive planning to make it work. Its hard to put it into practice.
I had no clue it was so restrictive at 20g Carb, - years ago i read this diet called 'the Scarsdale diet' & the author was a Dr. who said following this diet of his, you could reach a state of ketosis. I analysed the diet and i think it worked out
at around 35-40g carb but very low fat and low calorie into the bargain. Something like around 800-1000 calories.
So I was hoping that Ketosis was perhaps on some kind of continuum.
There was things in it like a protein bread and fruit. Mostly those kind of carbohydrates.

I think the best diet is one that is healthy and sustainable too..so maybe Keto wouldn't work out long term. I would still love to try it though just out of curiosity.

Hi to Sharon & PaCarolSue!
Sharon; i love to hear your enjoying the good side effects of the CAD/CALP diet.
This is what motivates me to stay on it too. There's no better feeling that feeling in control & free from bad habits.

PaCarolSue: I love to hear how your doing too and how your getting on with managing the diabetes. I can relate to those blood sugar struggles at times too.
I don't exactly do IF, but i realised that having the RM about 9 hours after my first CM really does miraculous things for making me feel more balanced.
Even if i don't stay on plan thereafter.

Eno; i love reading what you choose for your menus'. V.inspirational.
  #1905   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-17, 13:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
did have watermelon for carb last night. It was delish.

Tonight's planned RM: salad, cucumber (from farmer's market), grilled leg of lamb, and wither more fruit or a slice of bread or a half of a bagel for carb. DH will also have quinoa.

Later-
E