Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 14:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default farming=dental crowding

Quote:
Malocclusion and dental crowding arose 12,000 years ago with earliest farmers

Hunter-gatherers had almost no malocclusion and dental crowding, and the condition first became common among the world's earliest farmers some 12,000 years ago in Southwest Asia, according to findings published (04 Feb 2015) in the journal PLOS ONE.

By analysing the lower jaws and teeth crown dimensions of 292 archaeological skeletons from the Levant, Anatolia and Europe, from between 28,000-6,000 years ago, an international team of scientists have discovered a clear separation between European hunter-gatherers, Near Eastern/Anatolian semi-sedentary hunter-gatherers and transitional farmers, and European farmers, based on the form and structure of their jawbones.
"Our analysis shows that the lower jaws of the world's earliest farmers in the Levant, are not simply smaller versions of those of the predecessor hunter-gatherers, but that the lower jaw underwent a complex series of shape changes commensurate with the transition to agriculture," says Professor Ron Pinhasi from the School of Archaeology and Earth Institute, University College Dublin, the lead author on the study.
"Our findings show that the hunter gatherer populations have an almost "perfect harmony" between their lower jaws and teeth," he explains. "But this harmony begins to fade when you examine the lower jaws and teeth of the earliest farmers."
In the case of hunter-gatherers, the scientists from University College Dublin, Israel Antiquity Authority, and the State University of New York, Buffalo, found a correlation between inter-individual jawbones and dental distances, suggesting an almost "perfect" state of equilibrium between the two. While in the case of semi-sedentary hunter-gatherers and farming groups, they found no such correlation, suggesting that the harmony between the teeth and the jawbone was disrupted with the shift towards agricultural practices and sedentism in the region. This, the international team of scientists say, may be linked to the dietary changes among the different populations.
The diet of the hunter-gatherer was based on "hard" foods like wild uncooked vegetables and meat, while the staple diet of the sedentary farmer is based on "soft" cooked or processed foods like cereals and legumes. With soft cooked foods there is less of a requirement for chewing which in turn lessens the size of the jaws but without a corresponding reduction in the dimensions of the teeth, there is no adequate space in the jaws and this often results in malocclusion and dental crowding.
The link between chewing, diet, and related dental wear patterns is well known in the scientific literature. Today, malocclusion and dental crowding affects around one in five people in modern-world populations. The condition has been described as the "malady of civilization."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50204144653.htm

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

edited to add--somebody get these guys a copy of Weston Price's book. Of course nutrition isn't the factor, it's the texture of the food.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:15

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50204144653.htm

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

edited to add--somebody get these guys a copy of Weston Price's book. Of course nutrition isn't the factor, it's the texture of the food.

Teaser, you have an uncanny ability to make me laugh. I too was going to suggest they read Dr. Weston Price's book or check the Weston Price website.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

But aren't these jaw differences from infancy? I don't know many infants chewing on hard tack from birth.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 17:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The jaw changes size and shape quite a bit before the permanent teeth come in. Weston Price showed photos of twins, one breast fed, the other bottle fed. The breast-fed one had more prominent cheekbones and wider palate just from how the harder suckling required to breastfeed causes the muscles to pull on the bones more. The wider palette allows for more space in the horseshoe of teeth, so the teeth aren't crowded. If sucking can change the shape of your jaw, chewing can too. Also, babies not fed grainy pablum would start chewing earlier.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 18:28
Experimenter

BF:

I could be wrong, but didn't WP also point out the lack of D3 and K in jaw formation?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 21:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Stephan Guyunet posted on a possible role for vitamin k here;

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...evelopment.html

Most infants I know find the opportunity to chew/gum on something whether it's food or not.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 11:16
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, it was Price that documented that:
Quote:
Price attributed this physical change to a lack of minerals and the fat-soluble vitamins necessary to make good use of them: vitamin A, vitamin D and what he called "activator X"-- now known to be vitamin K2 MK-4. The healthy cultures he studied all had an adequate source of vitamin K2, but many ate very little K1 (which comes mostly from vegetables). Inhabitants of the Loetschental valley ate green vegetables only in summer, due to the valley's harsh climate. The rest of the year, the diet was limited chiefly to whole grain sourdough rye bread and pastured dairy products.

He didn't have the same name for Vit. K. Also, the fermented bread would have neutralized some of the anti-nutrients in grain.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 21:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Nancylc, I just attended a lecture on this phenomenon. They are doing a lot of work at our local university in a partnership between the anthropology department and the dental school. My daughter was actually invited to intern with them so she's going to be learning a lot about it over the next year.

The jaw actually does not stop growing until about age 20 or so and teeth don't stop coming in until then, either (wisdom teeth). My daughter (who is 12) is having her palate expanded to get rid of the crowding and correct the bite, although they usually do it around age 7. They will now remold palates up until age 20 at the office we go to. My kids were, by necessity, bottlefed because I didn't produce milk so I think that narrowed their palates a lot. Even things we take for granted like using forks cause tremendous differences in mouth structure and deform it. The overbite was unknown before using forks became common about 200 years ago. All of that development goes on for years beyond infancy. Even I, at age 42, have shifting teeth from micropressures I am somehow introducing with the way I move my jaw, maybe related to the idiosyncrasies of modern life, not sure.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-20-15, 07:40
Experimenter

BF:

Yes, I have a very narrow jaw too and crowded teeth. I was also bottlefed. When I was born, nursing was only done by "savages". LOL! Or at least, that's what the people at the time were promoting. Science knows best!