Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:39

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Jammie

It's nice to hear about your Alaska wedding trip. Sounds really fun. Glad you did well and stuck to LC, even if you ate a bit more than usual, you did good

It's always nice getting back to our own kitchens
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
Hi All,

Hope you are all having a super day! Got back last night from our week in Alaska.
So glad to have you back, Jams! I missed your posts!
Quote:
It was a great trip-lots of fun, family wedding and FOOD. SO MUCH food! \I was on-paln, but def ate TOO much! Breakfasts: scrambled eggs, butter, 2-3 bacon, L: usually tuna salad and lettuce or meat sandwhich or hamburger with no bread/bun, and dinner was usually meat and salad. Lots of delicious Alaska salmon, seafood, beef, cheeses...some greens and a few glasses of wine (I know, wine is NOT on plan)... We went to the Alaska Zoo, the Wildlife Conservation Center, to the glaciers (mostly melted and VERY much retreated , we spent a day at the museum (absolutely awesome!), rode the 1970's no-guard bar chair lift to the top of the mountain and of course, the WEDDING! DD was ADORABLE as a junior bride's maid. SO much FUN!

It was a CRAZY week of staying up WAY TOO LATE. The sun sets at 11:30pm and it doesn't get dark until like midnight in summer up there!!!
Sounds like you had a super duper terrific time! Great job staying OP even with the occasional vino! Better than face planting in carb-laden dishes, IMHO!
Quote:
I am happy to be back home, in total control of meals, food, eating frequency and back to my own kitchen!
I know exactly how you feel!
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:56
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Good Morning Warriors..

It's good to see you back online Jo.
Good Thursday Morn, to you too, De!
Quote:
Why We get Fat is at the top of my book list and Good Calories, Bad Calories is at the bottom just my personal opinion.

I've mentioned before I read a lot of LC books, not just Atkins. Knowledge is power.
Share more of your personal opinion about why "Good Calories Bad Calories" is at the bottom of your list. Your opinion matters greatly to me...
Quote:
Sadly, I found out yesterday that my brother was diagnosed with diabetes. His wife was diagnosed a year or two ago. I have been encouraging them to eat low carb, but apparently they aren't willing to give up crappy carbs...makes me very sad. He also has very high triglycerides. That's another sure sign of too many bad carbs. I will not stop trying to get them onboard, but I just don't seeing it happening
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that!

Just continue to be a shining example of how you prevented T2 and who knows... maybe one day they'll come around to the LC WOE as well!
Quote:
I have thought about it and I think that once you have T2 then reverse it with low carb it's controlled and not cured. JMHO....
Well yeah, but you're CURED if you STAY 100% OP... just messing with ya, girlie! But I agree, it's controlled by diet instead of taking meds!
Quote:
It's coffee time! Yep, love my coffee
Imma having mine virtually right now since Imma pedalin' my azz off!
Quote:
Have a super duper Thursday all...
Thanks, my dear friend and you as well!
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 08:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Good Thursday Morn, to you too, De!Share more of your personal opinion about why "Good Calories Bad Calories" is at the bottom of your list. Your opinion matters greatly to me...Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that!

It's boring and I couldn't get through it. You might have a different view of it, but that's my opinion. Why we get Fat is awesome, I read it over and over. My DH will say "you reading that again?" Lol
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:19
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
It's boring and I couldn't get through it. You might have a different view of it, but that's my opinion. Why we get Fat is awesome, I read it over and over. My DH will say "you reading that again?" Lol
I only do "boring" reading when it's related to getting my edu-ma-cation! Thanks for your much valued opinion...

Already have all those books you emailed me tagged on my Amazon "wish list". Will get them one at a time and probably save GC BC for last if I want to read another one...
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 06:24
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Wow it's awfully quiet in here this morning... so lemme get the ball rolling!

Hope everyone is doing well & wishing you all a totally Kick Azz BAD Azz 100% OP day as usual!

Just finished reading "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung.

I cheated and found a wonderful review of the book (see URL below for the source). It's what I would have written if I were a wordsmith! It's just shy of 300 pages and I took copious notes and re-read, etc...

It's most excellent, in my opinion, for what that's worth!
Quote:
It's a good quick read.... and it's not about "obesity" per se but about the metabolism of fat reduction (and increase), backed by many authoritative studies and by Dr. Fung's own medical practice and observation.

The book is almost entirely about the science and Dr. Fung's own observations and ideas about insulin as the main driver of weight gain/loss. There are only a few chapters toward the end of the book that are about fasting and weight loss specifics. But this is more than enough, and understanding the principles behind hormonal regulation of fat is really a revelation that many will appreciate.

By fasting one is dealing directly with insulin resistance (a major cause of obesity and fat gain/loss), and giving the body a chance to reduce insulin resistance. Which by the way, also changes the "set point" - which is really the body's hormonal regulation of insulin.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comme...e_obesity_code/

Here's what Amazon says:
Quote:
Everything you believe about how to lose weight is wrong. Weight gain and obesity are driven by hormones—in everyone—and only by understanding the effects of insulin and insulin resistance can we achieve lasting weight loss.

In this highly readable and provocative book, Dr. Jason Fung sets out an original, robust theory of obesity that provides startling insights into proper nutrition. In addition to his five basic steps, a set of lifelong habits that will improve your health and control your insulin levels, Dr. Fung explains how to use intermittent fasting to break the cycle of insulin resistance and reach a healthy weight—for good.
As you all know I've been doing a daily 24 hour Fast probably 99.9% of the days of my FINAL re-start since July 2013.

Actually I can't tell you the last time I ate twice in one day... it's been that long!

Apparently doing my daily fast is the right thing to do! Well, I know it works for me & really does take care of all my food related issues! We all have to find what works to not only lose the weight, but keep it off forever!

There's a discussion thread here about the book called Dr. Jason Fung ~ The Obesity Code! I've read the first few pages and that got me hooked on reading the book!
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 07:02

BF:

Good morning

T G I F

My week is winding down. Today will most likely be kiddie pool time my son bought a bigger kiddie pool so I will be trying to set that thing up for kiddos.

I have a steak waiting to grill when I get home and today will be a couple of eggs and tuna.

Enjoy your upcoming weekend everyone
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 10:02

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

Arrived yesterday afternoon at the dells. We have already done arts and crafts and a earlier morning trail walk. Heading for the water slides. Grandkiddies are having a blast!

100% on plan and just enjoying the good times.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 11:35

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi everyone!

It's Friday!!! YAY!!!

Spent the day yesterday up in Vancouver!!! A VERY long drive (4 hours through morning rush hour, and three hours home)...but TOTALLY worth the trip to see my BFF. SHe and her DH and DD live in Kiev (teaching) and they get back home to Canada each summer. We always try to have a "GirlzDay" each July. Last year we missed out due to my major surgery, but this year we made it happen!!!

A full 14 hours of FUN!!! walking and talking and drinking coffee and eating salads... we went shopping (something I usually hate, but I found two SUPER cute dresses and a litttle sweater) and just hung out all day and all evening.

I got up at 4:45 and I got home just after midnight, so, on top of the sleep deprivation of Alaska, yeah, I'm pooped!

At Stbx now w DD, she's snacking and writing, and I'm "on muh brrrds" sippin' and snoopin'!

Hope everyone has a Warrior Weekend! I and looking forward to some down time.
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 14:48
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Good morning

T G I F
Hiya De!
Quote:
My week is winding down. Today will most likely be kiddie pool time my son bought a bigger kiddie pool so I will be trying to set that thing up for kiddos.
at DS buying a bigger pool! That's priceless & so very sweet of him! I guess he felt sorry for you in that lil' pool you had!

I didn't think you had the grands on Fridays...but what do I know!
Quote:
I have a steak waiting to grill when I get home and today will be a couple of eggs and tuna.
You are a shining example of what it means to be a Warrior member of TEAM 5%! Woot! Woot!

Hey girlie, I know you enjoy your mornin' cuppa joes like I do!

I wanted to share this part of "TOC" [location 3152] with you. When I read it, I thought of YOU:
Quote:
Coffee: Healthier than We Thought

DUE TO ITS high caffeine content, coffee is sometimes considered unhealthy. However, recent research has come to the opposite conclusion, perhaps due to the fact that coffee is a major source of antioxidants, magnesium, lignans and chlorogenic acid.

Coffee, even the decaffeinated version, appears to protect against type 2 diabetes. In a 2009 review, each additional daily cup of coffee lowered the risk of diabetes by 7 percent, even up to six cups per day. The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study estimated that drinking at least three cups of coffee or tea daily reduced the risk of diabetes by 42 percent.

The Singapore Chinese Health Study showed a 30 percent reduction in risk. Coffee drinking is associated with a 10 percent to 15 percent reduction in total mortality.

Large-scale studies found that most major causes of death, including heart disease were reduced. Coffee may guard against the neurologic diseases Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.

A word of caution here: While these correlation studies are suggestive, they are not proof of benefit. However, they suggest that coffee may not be as harmful as we imagined.
As with all parts of his book, he cites the sources by adding numbers to each study, fact, etc. I removed the numbers for ease of reading.
Quote:
Enjoy your upcoming weekend everyone
Thanks and you too, dear friend!
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 14:50
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Hello warriors,

Arrived yesterday afternoon at the dells. We have already done arts and crafts and a earlier morning trail walk. Heading for the water slides. Grandkiddies are having a blast!

100% on plan and just enjoying the good times.
So glad you made it there safely! And it sounds like grandma is having a blast too!
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 14:58
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
Hi everyone!

It's Friday!!! YAY!!!
Pssssst....it's always Friday in our world since we're on summer break!
Quote:
Spent the day yesterday up in Vancouver!!! A VERY long drive (4 hours through morning rush hour, and three hours home)...but TOTALLY worth the trip to see my BFF. SHe and her DH and DD live in Kiev (teaching) and they get back home to Canada each summer. We always try to have a "GirlzDay" each July. Last year we missed out due to my major surgery, but this year we made it happen!!!

A full 14 hours of FUN!!! walking and talking and drinking coffee and eating salads... we went shopping (something I usually hate, but I found two SUPER cute dresses and a litttle sweater) and just hung out all day and all evening.

I got up at 4:45 and I got home just after midnight, so, on top of the sleep deprivation of Alaska, yeah, I'm pooped!
How very cool that you got to spend time with your BFF! I love GirlDayz!

WOW you did what sounds like a lot in a 14 hour block of time!

Sweet that you found some really cute dresses! Yeah, shopping isn't my thing either...
Quote:
At Stbx now w DD, she's snacking and writing, and I'm "on muh brrrds" sippin' and snoopin'!
I had to translate Stbx... I guess that means Starbucks? I've only been to one once... Yeah I don't get out much...well NO I get out plenty but I live in a very small burg & we don't have one...I KNOW huh? That generally SHOCKS all the tourists!
Quote:
Hope everyone has a Warrior Weekend! I and looking forward to some down time.
Thanks and you too! And I hope you get plenty of R&R b/c it sounds like you really need it with all your travelin'!
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 09:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Good morning Warriors, It is a Saturday morning and we are starting off cloudy.

Yesterday DH and I took a day trip to Seaside Oregon. I love that place. We walked the beach and window shopped in some of the stores. We brought our own lunch. DH thought it was romantic I thought it was practical. It insured that I stay on track.

Thursday I finally changed my curtains. We've lived here for 20 years and of course the curtains disintegrated to the touch. When I worked I had odd hours so I never took the time. I have been retired for awhile so the time was right. My next project is putting down hard wood floors.

I also took a 2 mile walk on Thursday. That is huge for me since I have developed joint issues. I have degenerative arthritis. It has hit my hips, back, and shoulders unfortunately, but I keep moving around. I won't let this beat me.

Haven't had any breakfast yet, not sure what I am hungry for.

I have read Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It, and a few other books on carbohydrate restriction. Protein Power, A couple by Dr Atkins. I reread them when I find myself discouraged.

Hope everyone has a great OP weekend.

Blessings and Peace;
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 11:46

BF:

Morning Warriors,

I am very happy to hear that coffee is healthy, Jo. I am a coffee freak, so I am delighted that is one thing I really like that I don't have to give up. Cheers!

Judy, it's nice to enjoy a walk on the beach. Seaside is awesome this time of year. Happy carbaversay to you! I too am happy with this WOE for health benefits. We are heading to a beach vacation soon, can't wait to dig my toes in the sand.😎

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone and coffee drinkers...ENJOY! ☕️
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 14:41

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY SATURDAY, All!

Got to sleep in this morning- ahhhhh! 10:30!!

Not that hungry today...had a little left over lamb and COFFEE for breakfast. Will do up some tuna bread for later, and tonight, out for dinner at one of the greatest French restaurants in the city. Know exactly what I am having too; "Grande Assiette (assorted cold meats and Frecnh cheeses) et la salade vert" yum! It's so unfathomable, what happened in Nice, France. All my colleagues and school families are accounted for and safe. Even the ones who were there, on Rue des Americas... they are okay. An act of madmen, to be sure. There really are no words.

sigh

gonna refill my coffe, sip n snoop before we take DD to her Bday party sleepover and we will have our "date night"

best, all
j
Closed Thread