Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 21:10
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

DTs. Yep. Got 'em going on. I'm hanging in there with broth, tea and club soda, but it's a bit difficult. I'm trying to occupy myself with a Mecum auction and Microsoft solitaire. As for broth, I cheated and purchased organic chicken broth. The ingredients looked okay. Homemade bone broth would offer better, I'm sure. I'll make some at some point.

Don't you love getting a good deal on your technology? I sure do. I usually manage to get discounts at my local Fry's Electronics, as I buy a lot there. They are good to me in return. It works.

I got my hair cut tonight. I got a short cut before my trip to Toronto in early June. I liked it so much, I've been sticking with short locks. My new avatar is a selfie I took in Toronto. (I don't typically take selfies, but it was a pic for me to text Jim, back at home, one evening.) Much easier, especially in this heat. And, bonus, Jim really likes it, too.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 05:39
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

I'm up a tad. (For those who are unaware, that's Blue-speak for .2 pounds.) Three lousy ounces. That's the thanks I get. Okay, I'm expecting better today. Hey, it's haircut date night tonight. I should lose 3 ounces with a hair cut.....maybe? Okay, maybe not but it can't hurt.

I drank my coffee black this morning. I think I just heard a gasp or two. Yeah, I know. The great sacrifice. It didn't taste half bad either.

Dang, Lab, I don't know if I have it in me to fast for days. I'm thinking about it. I tried some organic boxed broth from Wegman's ( a mega-supermarket on the east coast) but I couldn't down it. I took one sip and every cell in my body shouted "Oh hel.........um.......heck no!" It's the only brand I've tried, though. If I found one I could tolerate I wouldn't mind "cheating." I'm not into this paleo stuff anyway. I still call it broth. Hey, call me old fashioned. I get squeamish thinking about carnage.

I've packed up broth for "lunch" today and am armed with black coffee and tea. I'm hoping to crack this cycle of fluid retention by the anti-inflammatory. I've noticed my mouth isn't blistering and the inflammation is less since starting the meds. What a freakin' relief that is besides not as many aches and pains. Hmmmph, now my mouth isn't as sore so I decide not to eat. Brilliant timing as usual.

Does anyone have a fitbit type gizmo and do they like it? I keep thinking it would be something to prod me into moving more but I'd probably just hang it on my exercise equipment anyway. Why can't they make them more like jewelry? I don't want to wear some big plastic thingy. Of course I'd give the impression I'm a fitness freak wannabe.

Okay....gotta scoot. Have a good 'un.

Later 'gators.

Edit: I forgot! Lab, from what little I see.....I like your hair. That one picture of you in the garden has it pulled back so I sort of know what short hair looks like on you. (Is this making any sense at all?!?) You have gorgeous eyes so the short hair would bring them out. Will we get to see more than a postage stamp size selfie?

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Tue, Aug-18-15 at 07:19.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 13:42
Real food!

BF:

Blue, I add a few spices to the boxed broth I bought, and it is pretty good. I am hoping the broth will help keep me from getting sickly feeling this time around. I did make it through last night, and haven't eaten today, either. I feel less hungry than I did yesterday. I realize was retaining a lot of fluid, as I dropped 4-1/2 lbs overnight! I know it's all liquid, but that seems like so much to be retaining. I am definitely drinking a lot so I don't dehydrate. The weather here is quite hot yet.

I didn't realize you were now taking anti-inflammatories regularly. Yes, those can make retention an issue. But, it's good to know you aren't suffering so much pain.

I don't wear a FitBit or anything like that. I don't really keep track of my activity. I walk a lot on weekends and bowl, as well. I run around at work a lot, it seems, as well. I don't know how much I need to worry about "organized exercise." I just try to stay active.

I suppose I'll have some more pix at some point. I do tend to be a bit camera shy. Thank you for your kind compliments, Blue.
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 08:35
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Scale is.......down today. Just wanted to add to the suspense. I know you all just wait for the daily report. I'm still retaining fluids but I'm down a pound and a half.

We got some really nice fresh veg at Costco yesterday along with some nice meat that should last us a while. I also got one of their roasted chickens. No additives or hormones. They were huge and was it ever tender and juicy. I'm going to make broth with the carcass this weekend. I have some turkey necks in the freezer I need to use too.

Today I brought the last of the broth. It's a fasting day today. Is that cheating? Fasting, to me, means water, tea, or black coffee. Fung allows broth and he used to say cream was okay in coffee but I think that isn't true fasting. I do it anyway. Yesterday I went without cream. Today I'm having a little but really don't seem to like it much today. Maybe I can live without it. We'll see. I'm not ready to X it off my list just yet.

I hate "organized" exercise. If I weren't stuck here at a desk I wouldn't even think of it but humans are made to move so I have to get it in some way. Why does it have to be exercise. Why couldn't reading or painting be enough.

Hope you all have a successful day at whatever you're doing.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Aug-19-15 at 09:03.
  #140   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 09:21
Real food!

BF:

Love the picture, Blue. Congrats on the loss. That's always good to see.

I lasted about 48 hours on the fast. I ate dinner last night - mostly meat and fat. No gain or loss on the scale, so I'm okay with that. I am going out to dinner tonight, so will not eat the rest of the day, then fast tomorrow. This is probably my best bet to manage my weight and feel well. Eating three meals a day sure doesn't work well for me. I know this from trying. And, the older I get, the tougher that one plays out.
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 12:42

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Good morning Lab, Blue and Kathy and any lurkers out there. I wonder if everyone will come back after the summer is over. I miss you guys.

Well, my son and family will be in the air soon on their way to London via Chicago. We won't see them again until October. I reminded John that we would not see them any more often than that if we had not moved here. We are so glad we did. They are so busy we would have had to come here to see them anyway so we figured we might as well join them. They will be coming home in mid December. They are fortunate to have a woman living in their house who will take care of everything including the dog, cats and goats. Her dog gets along with my granddog which is good because otherwise she would have been coming to live with us. I love her dearly but she is an old lady and set in her ways.

Blue I am always glad to hear when you are down even a tad. Every tad is important. I am down a tad the last two days. I am being quiet about it because I am below 160 for the second day. I am afraid if I say anything it will go away.

I do not fast and don't ever plan to. It just isn't how my body works. I admire those of you who can do it. Good on you!
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 17:16
Real food!

BF:

Hi Susan, it's so good that your son and family and someone to take good care of their animals. That's a big deal.

Your last line is exactly what it's about in Lab Rat Land - finding out what works best for each individual's own body and life. Sure beats trying to made the unworkable work!
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 09:15
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Weight is the same but my face was all puffed out. I guess I retained fluid. That means a loss in the future.

Rain came last night and with it came heat and high humidity. I guess the storm swept up the coast. I hate humid. With this weather change I'm experiencing miserable joint pain. I don't want to take anything for it because I'm on that daily dose of Meloxicam. I ache all over. Isn't that just swell. Bad hair day with the humidity AND a kick in the pants to boot. Hmmph.

I'm glad your son and daughter-in-law found someone to guard the flock, Susan. That's quite an undertaking but I wouldn't mind doing that for just a short time. None of this year-round business, though.

I have cream in my coffee today. I first poured it black but after the first sip I just couldn't do it. I wanted to forego the cream because last night I had a bout of the hungries so I wanted to see if doing without cream would make a difference. Well forget that experiment. I needed cream today and this lab rat told science chick to take a hike.

I didn't want to fast either but I was desperate to get something to work. It seemed to be the trigger for me. We're all different which is why citing lists of "musts" is blatantly stupid as is "new science."

Hope Linda, Kathy, and ronchin pop in. I need updates. I could use a dose of Mary and Lois too but I'm not holding my breath unless, of course, it helps me lose weight.

It's Friday Eve. Yippeeee!

Later 'gators.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 10:30
Real food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2

We're all different which is why citing lists of "musts" is blatantly stupid as is "new science."

Ain't that the truth? One of the things I truly appreciate about Dr. Fung is his understanding that weight issues stem from a variety of factors, so treatments will vary from person to person. He wrote an entire blog post on this. How refreshing.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with so much pain right now, Blue. Truly the pits.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. We've been in bad data file hell for the past several days. I know there will be more of it for a bit longer, until a proper fix is implemented on the client's side, but a break from funky work-arounds on our end is welcome.

I am down 1.3 today. I had a nice Cobb salad with chicken and wonderful bleu cheese dressing last night for dinner. It was great to get together with some friends and enjoy a nice meal. Today, I will fast. I'd like to fast overnight again if I can. But, I won't beat myself up if I eat something this evening. It will still be 24 hours.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb/ IF
Stats: 185/175.2/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

So,my good progress went downhill when I went to my 83 yr old mom's for a few days,helping her with her garden and helping her pick out a new fridge (hers was a 25 yr old one that just recently wasn't keeping as cold as it should....she was hoping to find another almond one like she had so it would still match her 25 yr old stove LOL)

Of course, while there, I indulged in her 100% Italian cooking.....so wonderfully delicious, but not on plan. Once I returned home , it was reflected on the scale, back to 185. Yup, Blue, you and Iwere yoyoyoing at the same time.

Lab, so great to see your posts. When I read your fasting experience,it really caught my attention that maybe an extended fast would work better for me than alternate days. Happy to report this is my 3rd day of fasting (only coffee with 18% cream once or twice a day,water,bone broth). The first 2 small waves that weren't calmed by coffee/broth, I pushed through and then was fine again. I am down to 179 and feeling good for now.

Sorry to hear about the aches and pains, Blue. I have suddenly developed heel pain in both feet.....plantar fascitis, I think. Started after walking in flat, unsupportive shoes on the hard cement floor of Costco, for several hours.
Hoping the fasting will help bring down the inflammation.

Enjoy your evening everyone.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 15:33

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Blue, I am so sorry that you are experiencing so much pain. You don't complain very often for a person who is going through everything that you are. I hope that the doctor you have recently seen will be a big help. It sure has taken a long time to get to the right doctor.

I learned 10 years ago that I am not a farmer, or the farmer's wife. I came to Iowa the summer that Miles was born to help Guinevere while Eric was gone for 3 weeks. I thought I could be of help, but I quickly figured out that I am not good at anyof that stuff. I already knew that I did not like to garden and I also knew that I did not like chickens. For a couple of weeks John and I did the goat milking. It was really hot and miserable, and those darn girls are good at kicking the bucket over. We were supposed to collect the milk to feed the babies.

So, since then I have not been asked to do anything on the farm. Everytime something big comes up I always say I will baby sit while the rest of the family does farm work.

I am down a tad today and still below 160, on this, the 1 year anniversary for being on this WOE.

Eric's family all came by yesterday when they came to town to pick up the rental car to take to the airport. The boys came in and gave each of us a big hug and then disappeared back to the car. Eric said he had told them that the visit had to be short. I went out to the car to say goodbye to the whole family. I asked the kids if they were exicted. Ty was sitting in the back seat sucking his thumb (a habit that he is trying hard to give up) and just shook his head no. I don't blame him, it's a big world out there for a 6 year old. This was his first long distance flight.

Eric sent a photo of them in the London taxi and that is the last I have heard. It was 4:30 am here when he sent the message. John and I both slept restlessly last night. At 4 something I woke up and checked the flight tracker on my phone. Yes, the plane had arrived.

My quilts for the Saturday show are all finished. I am still thinking of a final embellishment for the art quilt, but if it doesn't happen it will be fine.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 08:05
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Hooray for the losses! Y'all are doing great!! I'm down a mere two tads. I'm hoping for more! Last night a front moved through again with heavy downpours but brought cooler and less humid weather with it. I feel SO much better. The aches disappeared. I'll tell you one thing, I don't like being a barometer one bit. That outright sucked yesterday. And Susan, I complain plenty. It's one dang thing after another. I hope to graduate from all doctors and healthcare facilities pronto.

Susan, you're staying below 160. (I whispered that so as not to jinx you). Just a tiny "rah" and imperceptible shake of the pom-pom. Well done on your one year journey!!!

Ronchin, we've all been there a time or two or seven or twelve. <sigh> It's called life and we deal with it the best we can at the time and you know what? You had a great visit with mom and that's a memory moment. I had to laugh about the refrigerator. I could so see my parents doing that. Lord, is that what I'll become? Maybe. Hope the feet get better after your Costco Workout. That hurts like the dickens and takes time to go away.

Lab, you're losing like gangbusters. Way to go, girl. As for the data file issues........they frustrate the daylights out of me and it's why I have to call in the big IT guns like you to figure out what isn't talking to what correctly. I couldn't do what you do. It annoys me and you all know what I'm like when I'm annoyed.

Susan, I'm glad the fam made it safely to London. Now the adventure begins! Good job on making your gallery deadline. I know that has to feel good. I admit to chuckling about the farm chores. I'm good with feeding and mucking, and the like but I haven't milked a goat and am not sure how that would go but I'd give it a try. Of course they'd learn some swear words if they kicked over the bucket. I'd be a bad influence on the little buggers.

I'm so glad it's Friday. I want to be home painting today. Hmmmph.

Enjoy this wonderful day.

Later 'gators.
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 17:25
Real food!

BF:

Good afternoon, all. It's nearly time to head out of here, so I figured I'd post before I run.

Ronchin, the thing I keep reminding myself is that, no matter what, we can always continue where we left off. It's great that you were able to have a good visit with you mom and help her pick out that new fridge. I just got a new dishwasher and love it. New appliances are always happy things. Oh, and I hope your feet are feeling better.

Susan, I'm not so great with the gardening and outdoorsy stuff, either. I have a rocked in backyard with mostly succulents. Even I can't kill them, and they always look nice. Enjoy the show on Saturday.

Blue, two tads definitely count. Here's hoping you have an enjoyable, pain free weekend.

My gut isn't feeling all that great today. I ate some dried fruit, and wondering if it is bothering me. I'll just have to take it easy. I imagine the dried fruit won't look so great on the scale, but I can always fast tomorrow. I figure my journey will continue to be a lot of up and down, but I do hope to eventually get to a stable place about 20 lbs or so lower than where I am right now. When I fast, I lose quickly. That may be my saving grace with my inconsistencies.
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 19:57

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Hey, Lab’s back. Oh my, Lab, we have had some times that we really needed your butt kicker – especially me. Anyhoo, great to see you.

A big hello and hug to the ever faithful Blue and Susan and the sometimes Kathy and Linda.

Stopping by and saying something hasn’t been my forte, but I do think of everyone here (and some who aren’t here) very often. Life is still rumbling on, faster than I would like, but it beats the alternative. I’ve reached a plateau (with a big dip in the middle), and I feel like I’m going nowhere fast with my Spanish – just like my diet . I plan to stay with it and hopefully work my way out of the abyss. It’s still fun for me, a super diversion, and allegedly a "mind improver." Believe me, I could use some improving. To quote Blue, “Hmmmph!!” We’ll see.

I hope you all have a scrumptious weekend.

ps: Hi to Ronchin, too.
  #150   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 08:16
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Hola, Sherri!! Que tal? It's good to see your little face again!

I was discussing new language learning techniques with a friend and colleague the other day. We, as children, learn language by hearing first. We have no idea what the words look like but we know the sound and the meaning....in time. As adults we are handed books, see it first, and then try to listen and remember. It's exactly backwards from how we are geared to learn language. My friend mentioned the website Babbel that is designed towards hearing and learning in different ways. I took a peek at it and it looks interesting enough to investigate. I do know that I remember a whole lot more of Spanish phrases I learned in high school and college than I do the French that I learned 10 years ago. I heard the Spanish phrases repeatedly over and over from my instructors and they stuck. I can still hear "Repites, por favor." And we did!

I'm down 2.6 pounds today from yesterday. (That would be 13 tads.) Whew! I also didn't take the anti-inflammatory last night and decided to try taking them in the morning to see if that limits water retention. I feel good, though. Sponge Blue Round Pants. I'm 15.4 pounds less than I was a year ago but 6 pounds up from where I was in January. Futzed away the summer is what I did.

It's beautiful here today. Brilliant blue skies and low humidity. Ahhhhh. It's wonderful!

Lab, I can't "do" fruit. Well....I can and I do sometimes.....but it sure screws up my weight loss. Dr. Westman calls fruit nature's candy. I have to agree with him. It's mostly sugar and I just don't "do" sugar well.

I'm still wondering why 2,3 and 4 hours after eating my highest carb meal of the day my blood glucose is lower than when I first get up. I know about the dawn effect in diabetics, but I'm not diabetic. Really.....postprandial readings lower than 12 hours later? I don't get it. I mentioned it to the endocrinologist I see for thyroid and he said "it's normal, there are surges and spikes at odd times." Well not according to everything I've read. And geeze, to read Bernstein and Fung it's not normal at all. Wish I knew. This morning's reading was 106. My A1C is consistently at or below 5.4. Do I understand? Nope. Not a lick.

Hope you have a great show today, Susan! Hope the feet are better, ronchin! All you other lurkers need to report to avoid the dreaded stink eye.

Later 'gators.