Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-12, 02:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/320/165 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello! I need lots of help here.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to lowcarbing. I have lost 100 pounds 4 times in my life and gained it all back plus some. I was on Atkins for awhile and I did pretty well on it, but as usual, I fell off the wagon. I simply cannot be on any other food plan because everytime I lose weight on a low calorie/low fat diet, I wind up gaining the weight back. I have about 120 pounds to lose. I am old and my health is failing me now. I am really desperate. I also am handicapped so that makes it even more difficult. I have terrible neuropathy in my feet making it extremely painful to walk--it feels like I'm walking on sharp shards of rock. I know if I could get about 80 pounds off it would make walking a lot easier.

I read recently that the "new" Atkins diet is restricting the amount of meat for each meal. Is that true? I thought you could have as much meat/protein as needed.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and to be starting a WOE that I can live with.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-12, 07:32
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Welcome!

A lot of us older people are going back to the old '72 version of Atkins. It works better for us.

'72 Atkins
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-12, 21:17

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Welcome! Nothing works like LC. I call the other dieting doing it the hard way. The difference for me this time around (as opposed to the other diets I've yo yo-ed on all my life) is the support. I have a go to place for information and support. So you are not alone in this and will find just about everything you need.
Good luck to you!
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 02:16

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I just lost 80 pounds on a low-fat/low-calorie diet and promptly gained it all back within a year. It is so discouraging. I was being guided by a dietician--and of course, she was all low-fat/low-calorie guru. I ate 3 oz. of protein, whole grain carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) and lots of veggies. I like the veggies, but the carbs reaked havoc with me. I remember when I was losing on the low-carb program that I lost the cravings--and that has so much to do with being able to stay on a program. It's the cravings that drive you to the high carb, sugary foods. *Sigh* I just want to get back to being healthy. As it is, I am partially disabled and because of the weight I have a very difficult time walking and getting around.

Ok...here I go! I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow for my low-carb foods. Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 15:14

Plan: Primarily Atkins
Stats: 312/297.5/169 Female 5ft 8.5 inches
BF:58.8%/ 54% /20%
Progress: 10%
Talking Hiya Sadie

Hey SexySadie, I just started too. I gotta get this weight off. You're right, nothing seems to work as well as lowcarb. If we could get this weight off we could reverse or eliminate many of the health problems we have. But, you can do it! And I can too! So good luck! And I'll be looking out for you.

JennyBQ
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-12, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBQ
Hey SexySadie, I just started too. I gotta get this weight off. You're right, nothing seems to work as well as lowcarb. If we could get this weight off we could reverse or eliminate many of the health problems we have. But, you can do it! And I can too! So good luck! And I'll be looking out for you.

JennyBQ

Jenny: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't get out to the store today because of my knee and feet. So, I will have to wait until tomorrow. But, I made myself some chicken legs and thighs in the slow cooker and I've got lettuce and cukes to go with it.

So, you're from the midwest, eh? Where about? I'm originally from Chicago, but I'm living in Akron, OH right now. I miss Chicago, though.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback! I look foward to "seeing" you around!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-12, 14:07

Plan: Atkins/Custom
Stats: 208/158.1/142 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Welcome

Hi and Welcome! You can do this. It's a lifestyle that's absolutely doable for life.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-12, 00:05

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySadie
Jenny: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't get out to the store today because of my knee and feet. So, I will have to wait until tomorrow. But, I made myself some chicken legs and thighs in the slow cooker and I've got lettuce and cukes to go with it.

So, you're from the midwest, eh? Where about? I'm originally from Chicago, but I'm living in Akron, OH right now. I miss Chicago, though.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback! I look foward to "seeing" you around!

Aw, sorry to hear you have a hard time getting around. Good for you on making something LC you can eat.
Akron OH? I am from Geauga County. I moved to a different planet - I mean CA. LOL I miss how pretty northeast OH is.
Kat
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-12, 13:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

Welcome and best of luck....When you hit your goal you will have to change your name to sexier sadie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 10:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmrickman
Welcome and best of luck....When you hit your goal you will have to change your name to sexier sadie

Thanks to everyone! I do appreciate your help and encouragement. SexySadie is not how I view myself right now. It is the title of a Beatles' song. (I love the Beatles!) But, when I finally reach my goal, then I can REALLY claim the name!

Is there a recipe spot on this forum? I remember there used to be something called "Revolution rolls" that you could make while on induction. I've since lost the recipe. What do you guys think about Dreamfields' pasta? Of course, I know you can't have it on induction. What about that Shiritake noodles? They're supposed to have zero carbs. I just don't want to get into the old habit of rationalizing foods that my body simply cannot tolerate.

Again, thanks for your help!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 11:18

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 368/277/200 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default feet

Hi Sadie;
Can you get to a pool? I've been doing water aerobics for years now. It's wonderful if you have any joint or foot troubles.
It's not just the water that helps. I go to the Y in the mornings for class with about 40 other folks that all have similar problems. The support is amazing. Just having someone to gripe to that understands really helps.
A dear friend who swims with me has something similar to your problem.
She has found that those boots that they use in the hospital, the ones that squeeze your lower leg, have helped tremendously with her circulation.
She got some from a medical supply and the insurance even paid part.
If you have trouble getting to the store don't you have a nearby Safeway that delivers?
I'm in San Francisco so I kinda take such things for granted.
Take care
Marian
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 11:25

Plan: No grains, no sweeteners
Stats: 240/200/- Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

I lost 40 pounds in 5 months following the following program. It is not atkins per se but it is grain free.

Food = no sweeteners(no sugar, no artificial sweetener), no grains, no egg yokes. Fruit is allowed and so is beans. Exercise = walking at least 5 days a week between 2 and four miles a day. Exercising every other day doing pushups, ab exercises, wall sits, pull ups ... only one set and not many repetitions of each exercise.

Above is the program I followed. It was very mild.

This is a link to my after photo. At this link you can also see my before photo.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...age.php?i=35823

Last edited by Humbaba : Sun, Sep-09-12 at 11:43.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 04:40

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySadie

Is there a recipe spot on this forum? I remember there used to be something called "Revolution rolls" that you could make while on induction. I've since lost the recipe.

Here is the Recipe section
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...&daysprune=&f=2

And there are several variations on the Rev roll here as well as many other bread style recipes
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=221144
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 06:43

BF:

Thanks for the help! There is a place in California called "Julian's Bakery" which sells very low carb bread. I've tried a number of them and they are VERY good. Any comments on the bread? There is one that is no-carb, and one that is one-carb per slice. The one-carb per slice is actually quite good. Yea or nay??
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 06:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Here is the Recipe section
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...&daysprune=&f=2

And there are several variations on the Rev roll here as well as many other bread style recipes
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=221144

So sorry to hear about your illness. My aunt had the same cancer. How long have you had it? My aunt did pretty well on chemotherapy.