Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/205/185
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default New Member - Ketosis question

Hello everyone! I am a new member here. I have been using Atkins for the last two years and initially lost 40 pounds on the diet. I continue to follow it to maintain my weight. My question is, I don't seem to be able to get back into ketosis. When I first started on the diet I would go into ketosis after about 3 days on the induction diet. But, if I had even a little bit of carbs I would go out of ketosis. Now I cannot seem to go into ketosis even when I stay on it for 5 straight days at less than 20 gm/day. Is it possible for my body to adjust to a low carb diet so I can no longer go into ketosis?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey hambone

welcome here! If U are staying 20grs of carbs or less a day U will be in ketosis even if they dont register. There could be different factors. 1. maybe the strips are old or tainted? 2. If U have a high consumption of water then the ketones are flushes right thru. Some people never show any color on there strips and yest lose weight and inches.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 16:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/vegetarian
Stats: 184/178/126 Female 1.57m
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi,
Just a quickie..how often should ketone checks be made? I've only been on the Atkins for 1 week, so have just tested mine today..found its between 1.5 and 4...not sure which...but wondering just how often most ppl check theirs..

Michele
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215.4/209.9/150 Female 5"9
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default O.C.D. re: keytone test strips

Hi Michelle,

I seem to have a rather impulsive tendancy to check my keytone level each time I go to the washroom. While I realize that the strips may not always register that I am losing weight, they sort of help me to remain conscious about my intentions to change my eating lifestyle.

It is a bit of a crutch, I know, but a productive one for someone like me who tends to be an impulsive type of person (exactly why I gained weight in the first place).

Susan
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 23:38

Plan: Atkins/CKD?
Stats: 183/160/130 Female 5'5"
BF:36%/30??/15-18%
Progress: 43%

There are many reasons why the sticks may not turn color, but that does not mean that your not in ketosis.

But...keep in mind that certain foods may knock you out of ketosis, even if you "think" you're eating under 20 grams of carbs...especially sugar alcohols, and sometimes even artificial sweetners.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 07:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 336/278/145 Female 5'3
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 30%

I get upset if i dont see the color change, i am new here as well and its nice to know that i may be in ketosis even if i cant see a color change.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 07:20
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

The best thing someone told me on here (I think his name is Build something or other) is that you needent worry about the keytosis thing, he said that there are all kinds of factors that can equate to no keytones apparently showing up on your keto sticks - like you're burning them all off so efficiently that they don't get chance to show - or that you've drunk a lot of water and they're so diluted that you don't register. I wouldn't fret too much about it - as long as you're losing the weight and inches then you're obviously doing everything right.
Good luck
xxxx