Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 22:01

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Question How has lowcarbing changed your PCOS symptoms and your life???

Well...I started Low Carbing in Jan. and I had a period then. I've had one every month since and I had been going 6 months at a time without one for 4 yrs. My skin tags are lighter, the hair has slowed, my moods are stable, I'm losing weight, and my hair on my head is growing again.

I couldn't understand why after trying to get my hair to grow for years back to the length it was when I was 14-(before my mom cut my hair which was down my back) and my hair would grow only about 2 times a year!!! Even when I tried using special horse shampoo it still wouldn't grow...so now my hair has grown several inches in the past 4 months and it's very noticeable and my hair isn't as thin.

I didn't know when I started LCing that it would change my life so drastically and I didn't know that my PCOS symptoms would improve. I feel much better about my life, I'm happier now...so how has it changed your life?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:04

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Default PCOS changes

Well does I feel better than I have in 15 years help you any!

My moods are great compared to the hormonal raging lumatic I used to be. I think hubby is secretly waiting for the old me to emerge again - and hoping it doesn't rear it's ugly head! He definatley prefers the new me better I'm sure -even though he would never say that in fear of hurting my feelings - and the fact that I know how to operate the backhoe too! (just kidding that's our private joke - "no such thing as divorce that's why there's a backhoe on the farm")

I really think that if I quit taking the bc pills that my cycle would be normal becasue I always start a day before I should since Jan - and that was how my cycle was before PCOS.

As long as I take the pills I know I don't have to worry about any surprises on vacation this way! - I know it's silly - but hey - I live for my Canada trip with hubby! It is our one week of peace and quiet a year with no children - just rocks, water, trees, and hopefully - really big fish!

If I'm still - I mean when I'm still feeling great in August I'll ditch the pills as soon as we get back from vacation and see what happens then.

My skin tags are lighter too and my hair is thicker than before. On top of all I had finally managed to lose some weight 45# to be exact - since January 1st!

YEAH!!!

I went from a 22 to a 14! My goal was size 14's for our vacation in August - Never would I have thought I would actually make it by then - let alone now!

I'm definately flying high!

The only thing that has not have improved is my facial hair growth and I'm hoping that will get better with time! It still grows as fast and as dark as before! Other posts on here though have given me hope that it will eventually change for me too!

Glad to hear it's working for you too!
Barb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 12:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 276.5/262.0/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i hope that ur telling me from being on the meds and being on a low carb diet that ur hair is growing again and that means there is hope for me as well... well hallaleuah my hair has been thinning for the past 25yrs and now is pretty thin and no matter what i do nothing makes it grow back so i am hoping that eventually it will. thanks for an uplifting story
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress: 20%

My mood swings are a lot less and this past cycle I didn't have to take any medication, and usually I have to take narcotics on top of mega muscle relaxers and Motrin 800.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

i got my period while on iductions, skin tags light and almost non exsistent, and my moods are up and I have energy. Some days I get stressed but that is because I am taking care of both of my parents they have cancer. I am hanging in there with this LCarbing, I pray that I get a period next month all on my own!
peace
fg
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 16:24

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Wow, all your stories are so motivating! I think, for me, the most important part of lc'ing is the hope of eliminating pcos symptoms, even more than weight loss. Just to have my hair (on my head) grow back thick again as it did for leasmom, and for my moods to stabilize as they did for barb and others, would be sheer heaven!!

I can't wait!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 15:50

Plan: Own
Stats: 231/225.7/165 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 8%
Talking Yipee

Thanks everyone. It's so good to read positive results from LC'ing. I'm lucky as I don't have hair loss on my head or facial hair (very faint). I do have fatigue like only someone with PCOS could understand, a huge amount of pain, depression, etc. My aim with LC'ing, besides losing about 65lbs is to diminish, and maybe actually banish my PCOS symptoms. Here's hoping - your postings have provided hope and inspiration.
Joce
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:16
Registered Member

Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well LC'ing has allowed TOM to arrive exactly the date he was due day 28, it's almost like a miracle, I have never had 2 TOM 28 days apart, let alone 2 months in a row. This is wonderful feeling!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 22:09

Plan: Own
Stats: 231/225.7/165 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 8%

Awesome. Mine actually arrive reasonably regularly but due mostly to endo as well, causing some other rather nasty symptoms to boot.