Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question transition to OWL

Hello all. I have a friend who is having trouble incorporating more carbs into her daily meal plans. She wants to make the transition from induction to OWL, but is afraid to mess up and ruin her results. Anyone have any good ideas on how to very gradually increase without going overboard, or gaining back the weight? This may be some good advice for me some day too.

Thanks!
KC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 23:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, KC. This is a good question. I've seen more people mess up on OWL than anywhere else. Induction, with its strict rules, is relatively easy.

Atkins' book covers this quite well, though, I think. He suggests adding 5 grams of carbs a day. This can be an extra cup of a low carb vegetable -- a different one every day. Or a low carb shake. Or something different each day. (It doesn't mean 1/16 of a Snickers bar I think that's where most people get into trouble. They think they can go back to Old Food.)

If, after a week or two, you still lose weight with the 25 carbs rather than 20, then add another 5 carbs in, etc. Go slow, experiment, add the things you miss the most -- that are still healthy foods.

I'd love to read some lists of things that people did add back in. I think we all like to think there's a scientific solution out there! (If I add back 1/2 cup green beans this week, and add a shake next week, then I'll keep losing, etc.)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 09:27

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

great advice, alto.

What to add back in? Artichoke hearts, berries, melons, kale (so healthy for us but a slightly-higher carb veggie)

Later still, peas and carrots in small amounts (a 1/3 c. of frozen peas added to a salad that will serve 3 isn't many carbs, but it's sort of fun to see different veggies), tomatoes and tomato sauce, onions

Later still a half a moderate-carb fruit every now and then--peach or apple, perhaps, if fruits aren't the LCer's personal danger foods.

Veggies and berries are the healthiest choice...but once a week or so, mixed nuts or the higher-carb nuts can be a fun treat. I've found I do best if I limit anything I think of as a LC treat to once a week--otherwise I could be picking cashews out of mixed nuts every single day!