Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Anyone tried "Somersizing" as an Maintenance or OWL?

Hi everyone;

I am curious. I have an old Suzanne Somers book on Somersizing which friends of mine have used with lots of success (although not as fast as Atkins). I first found it to complicated to use, but after a successful time with Atkins went back to read it the other day.

It uses some of the same principles, but allows carb/veggie combination; although says you'll lose faster with protein/fat/veggie combination like Atkins is based on. You have to space the transition from types of food by so many hours, etc.

My family is going to Hawaii for Christmas and I was hoping to splurge a little bit and enjoy my holiday - but not gain any weight back and was thinking of using this system which will allow for a few carbs. Has anyone else used it as their OWL transition? Or as maintenance??

It seemed like a good idea to try so I can add some treats to my holiday (or what seem like treats now (pasta with tomato sauce, no cheese); and not loose any ground.

Anyone tried it before??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 05:27

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I would guess you could use it without gaining. But remember that you can still only eat whole grain/no-added-sugar carbs and no fat with your carbs. I would think that would keep you from gaining, and you might still lose. But it's not going to allow you to eat white dinner rolls!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 10:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The trouble with sommersizing is you are suposed to eat fruit and other carby things without protien. That is directly opposite of what Atkins recomends. According to Atkins you should always have protien and fat with your carbs to minimize the effect the carbs have on blood gluclose and insulin levels.

In fact most LC diets recomend this including protien power, the Zone, and BFL. The last two aren't LC really though.

I have thought about going to the Zone when on maintanance, it just looks liek to much of a pain in the rear though. The thing I like about Atkins is it's fairly easy to follow.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 10:08.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks for the responses - I will maybe take a quick look at the Zone; I like Atkins too, because it is so simple and keeps the cravings away.

I know I won't be able to eat any white flour - but even whole wheat would seem a little bit "holidayish".

I am still in induction and thought it may be a way to hold ground instead of being tempted and blowing it all. A little bit more liberal of a program might be a treat.

I'm scared to attempt an all out move to higher carbs because I do not yet know my limit.

Anyways thanks for the advice!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 18:21
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:

I suggest you check undiet1.com it seems easier that Somersizing. I would like to try it someday. Please let us know your results.

Good Luck