Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 19:35
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I didn't equate the alleviation of dry eye with going wheat free for almost 3 months. The lack of dry eye snuck up on me. A few nights ago, I awoke with dry eye and the realization hit me that it hadn't happened in months. I think the dry eye then was caused by dry air; it was the first time this year that I had the air conditioner on at night.
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 04:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I also found that there is an auto-immune disease called Sjogren's syndrome in which the body attacks its own moisture-producing glands. The most frequent symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth. This syndrome is most common among post-menopausal women (about 2% of women over 60 have it and 9 times more women have the disease than men) and among suffers of celiac disease. Like celiac disease, a treatment for Sjogren's syndrome is a gluten free diet.

Sjogren's can progress to a daily nightmare; the constant sandy eye/dry mouth can drive one crazy. And yet, officially, the only thing medical science offers is immune suppression drugs like steroids; which is not a long term solution, and is a pretty poor short term one, too.

It's something that drives me nuts, because auto-immune disorders are on the rise, and yet very little, besides symptom suppression, is offered.

And so much of it is probably a gluten reaction.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Apr-20-12 at 04:08.
  #273   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 04:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Put dry eye in the www.wheatbellyblog.com search box, it comes up with the Success Stories post, so others have had this improvement too. Dr. Davis would likely enjoy reading of other successes. My skin improved after going wheat-free, lifelong eczema disappeared within weeks, and about five months later, I realized that the bumps on my upper arms (KP or keratosis pilaris) were also gone.
  #274   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 02:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Wheat Belly Recipe Book

In an email newsletter I received from Dr Davis this morning:

Quote:
I wanted to let you know that I will be releasing a new recipe book sometime in late May. The book will be available at www.trackyourplaque.com. Stay tuned and have a great weekend!

It is also featured at Amazon.com, though it does not appear to be available until late December:

Quote:
Wheat Belly Cookbook

Book Description

Publication Date: December 24, 2012

This cookbook companion to the New York Times bestseller Wheat Belly serves up 150 great tasting wheat-free recipes to help readers lose weight and beat disease.

Wheat Belly shook the foundations of the diet world when author and renowned cardiologist William Davis revealed that an epidemic of adverse health effects—ranging from minor rashes and high blood sugar to the buildup of stubborn belly fat (so-called "wheat bellies")—could be banished forever with one simple step: Saying goodbye to wheat. The Wheat Belly Cookbook takes readers to the next level with over 150 fresh and delicious wheatless recipes, including Breakfast Quesadillas, Braised Pot Roast with Vegetables, velvety Peanut Butter Pie—and surprising wheat-free hits like Blueberry French Toast, Bruschetta Chicken on Angel Hair, Spaghetti Bolognese and velvety Scones.

Additionally, readers will also learn how to:
  • Dodge symptoms of "wheat withdrawal" experienced by about 10 percent of dieters, ensuring a smooth transition to this new healthy eating plan
  • Set up their wheat-free kitchen, including important prep techniques, shopping lists, and strategies to get the whole family on board
  • Avoid regaining a wheat belly while eating out at restaurants and parties—plus exciting meal ideas guests will love

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-C...35601946&sr=8-1

BTW, for any UK readers, it's also available at Amazon. co.uk.
  #275   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 08:44
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've inadvertently given myself a wake-up call about wheat. My knees are starting to ache and my eyes have gotten very dry at night. I haven't had joint pain or severe dry eyes since I stopped eating wheat in February 2012. But, I've let too much wheat slip back into my diet. In the past two weeks, I've had about a dozen pieces of fried chicken lightly breaded with flour and 1 serving of gravy thickened with flour, plus 1 hushpuppy and 1 small corn muffin, both of which probably were made with some wheat flour. That's more wheat than I've had in all of the previous 5 months.

Maybe this inadvertent experiment is for the best because it now tells me with certainty that as tasty as wheat can be, I have a better life without it!

Last edited by CarolynC : Mon, Jul-23-12 at 08:57.
  #276   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 12:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I happily made Davis' mock granola a couple of times before admitting that I couldn't exercise any restraint in portion control. If the other recipes in his book are as good, he should have a runaway best seller.
  #277   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 12:39

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm curious....does he substitute other starches for wheat? If he does, there is no point in me buying the book because all starches make me starving hungry. Quitting them was the best thing I ever did for my sanity.
  #278   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 12:42

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

No, he doesn't and specifically addresses that in his book, advising people not to just go "gluten free" and substitute tapioca flour and such for wheat flour but to go grain free.

Perhaps this is the granola recipe?

Quote:
Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashew fragments
1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons whole golden flaxseed or chia seeds
½ cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil, coconut oil, or walnut oil
¼ cup sugar-free hazelnut syrup (or sweetener equivalent to ½ cup sugar)

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Mix cashews, coconut flakes, almonds, and cinnamon in bowl. Add oil and hazelnut syrup and mix together.

Spread mix on baking sheet approximately ½-inch thick. Bake for 25 minutes.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/...almond-granola/
  #279   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 13:17

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. In that case I'm interested, and that granola recipe looks delicious and non-craving-making.
  #280   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 13:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Yup, that's the recipe. The fat in the coconut and cashews plus the taste render me powerless to eat just a single serving.
  #281   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 15:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
Maybe this inadvertent experiment is for the best because it now tells me with certainty that as tasty as wheat can be, I have a better life without it!

I have come to believe wheat is not tasty at all; for instance, sandwiches made with bread will mask the intense flavorings of the filling, blanding down the whole thing.

Our brains think it's "tasty" because it likes the chemical rush we get from it. Having stayed away from it for a year and a half now, I find the smell of the bread aisle kind of nauseating.

I'll admit when people toast something that smells kind of good; but I regard it as a pleasing scent, as I do scented candles or apple blossoms. Doesn't mean I want to chow down on some.
  #282   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 19:15

Bill O'Reilly agains mentions all his health improvements since giving up wheat...Factor Tip is Don't eat wheat.
How un-American is that?

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreil...d=1740294866001
  #283   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 05:35

Dr. Davis has posted on his blog that this Monday, July 30, he will be on Live! With Kelly talking about the book. Good to see mainstream media open to the health issues with wheat.

Add: Wow, I just checked Amazon. His book had been holding at #1 in Nutrition for the almost year since publication. Amazon has now moved it to the Diet & Weight Loss list, where it is still #1 & 2. But even more stunning, it is #7 for ALL books! Right behind multiple editions of Fifty Shades of Gray is a book about the problems with eating modern WHEAT.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-28-12 at 05:50.
  #284   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 09:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

"Right behind multiple editions of Fifty Shades of Gray is a book about the problems with eating modern WHEAT."

I almost read that as 50 SoG being about eating modern wheat; had a bit of a giggle.
  #285   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:06

Dr Davis was just on Kelly!...maybe his wheat message will now actually overtake the sexy novels on Amazon's bestseller list. Kelly ended with "Get the Book..it will Change your life". Wow.
I thought he was excellent in the short amount of time they gave him. Stayed on message, compared alternate foods, brought some of his good recipes for bread and remained focused and calm.
Only problem was I had to watch the whole hour, he was last on the show. The rest was mindless drivel, but hey, his message seemed well-received...or is everyone forced to clap wildly?