Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-00, 21:58

Plan:
Stats: 107/107/94
BF:
Progress:

Hi...this is Energy.

I have been low-carbing for a while now, and find that the lack of BRAIN-FOGG is my greatest friend.

How about an apple before working out? Will those carbs not be depleted within 30 minutes of CARDIO?
Breakfasts are scrambled eggs with cheese - and that lasts till lunch.

Can we get a printable list of YES and NO foods??

I loved the site about HIDDEN carbs...very informative.

Lots more to tell YOU all....

Love
Energy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-00, 23:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Energy
How about an apple before working out? Will those carbs not be depleted within 30 minutes of CARDIO?

High-Energy

You might be interested in Lyle McDonald's book, the Ketogenic diet (last I checked it was out of print). Plenty of discussion of carbs and exercise while low-carbing. Some actually eat carbes after work out to assist in recovery.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-01, 22:55

Plan:
Stats: 180/180/180
BF:
Progress:

Actually protein is better for recovery after working out since it is what builds muscles.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-01, 23:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Dyo,

Please tell us more, which plan do you follow and what kind of workout do you do? I noticed you're at your goal weight (Congrats!) Are you in maintainance?

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-01, 20:21

Plan:
Stats: 107/107/94
BF:
Progress:

Actually, the fruit before Exercise is great for initial boost....esp. being a low-carber , your body seems to REACT instantaneously....and pure protein right after the workout...food within 30 minutes.....!!

I have managed to replace muscle, reshape and the workout programme is part of a daily committment.

Would love to hear from other EXERCISE enthusiasts, how their PERFORMANCE is enhanced through intelligent nutrition.

Love
ENERGY.....hmmmmmmmmm! :-)

#6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-01, 22:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi Energy

Haven't heard from you in a while; how are you doing with your lowcarbing efforts? You must be nearly at goal...

I am definitely NOT a fitness expert, except for recognizing how important it is. On the subject of energy during exercise, I found this interesting article at Acefitness.com http://www.acefitness.com/fitfacts/...y.cfm?itemid=57

I Need More Energy!

You're in the middle of a long workout and you're wondering how in the world you're going to muster up enough energy to finish. We've all been there. It's as though someone has unscrewed the cap and let all the fuel out of our tank. So what should you reach for to help you comfortably finish your workout? Sports-product manufacturers have come up with all sorts of new items to help you do just that. But are they really any better than the old standards: water, a banana, or a bagel?

Before we answer that question, a caveat: There is no single solution that works for everyone. After exploring your options, you can determine which is the best for your body's individual needs.

Choices, Choices, Choices

There are few things more essential to maintaining performance than staying hydrated throughout your workout. Water is an obvious first choice, but you may need extra energy in the form of carbohydrates to get through a particularly long or strenuous exercise session. If this is the case, energy bars or gels and sports drinks may be the answer to your depleted energy supply, but each choice has their own pros and cons.

Water

Water is a calorie-free source of fluid your body needs to keep going. There is no better way to compromise performance than to exercise while you're dehydrated. Research shows that your heart rate increases eight beats per minute for every liter of sweat lost during exercise. This can occur in as little as 30 minutes of exercise depending upon the environment and your intensity. This increased heart rate, combined with inefficient cooling, causes your temperature to elevate. This not only compromises performance, but can lead to heat illness as well.

Most experts recommend drinking at least a cup (4 to 10 ounces) of water every 15 minutes of exercise.

Sports Drinks

Activities lasting longer than one hour can leave your body wanting more than just water. Sports drinks, which typically contain about 50 to 70 calories, plus vitamins and minerals, are an easy answer to both the fluid and carbohydrate drain that comes from prolonged activity. Research shows that runners and cyclers who consume sport drinks during races not only finish quicker, but rate their exertion levels lower than those who consumed a placebo beverage. It is important to realize, however, that this was true only during longer-duration activities. You should be able to complete your 30-minute run or 45-minute step class without the aid of additional carbohydrates[/b].

Energy Gels and Bars

Energy gels are a relatively new alternative to traditional sports drinks or bars. They feel similar in texture to pudding and are easy to eat and easy for your stomach to digest. They typically contain about 70 to 100 calories and may also include caffeine and other ergogenic aids.

Energy bars have been around for a while and are eaten more often as a snack than as an energy replacement during exercise. Today, the market is saturated with numerous flavors and types, each with a different ratio of fats, carbohydrates, and protein. The key is to find one that tastes good and doesn't upset your stomach. At 110 to 250 (or more) calories each, energy bars also provide extra vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which increases their nutritional value considerably. But eating an energy gel or bar is not enough. You must still consume enough fluid to replace what's been lost as well as to help speed digestion.

How you choose to refuel during a workout depends on your body's reaction to what you put in it. For sessions lasting less than an hour, water is sufficient as long as you consume at least 4 to 10 ounces every 15 minutes.
==========================================

I realise this only addresses fuel/energy, and not muscle-tissue recovery post exercise. But I hope it's useful in some way.

Doreen