Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 22:05

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Nancy - I didn't know that.

Interesting that I didn't quit losing the hair until she added the T3 also...so I gues the T4 wasn't converting. I am still new trying to understand why this would happen....why it wouldn't convert? If leptin resistnce occurs (and I believe it does) what causes it to happen? The T4 did suppress my TSH to .459 from 1.6. Of course, I am "biochemically euthyroid" and according to the endo, I shouldn't be having all these problems cause my TSH has always been in the normal ranges.

Thanks again JoesFolks! Didn't know they were putting any red in my hair but now that I think about it, my husband comments on the "red" when we are outside. Time to do away with that. Thank you very much!

Last edited by aeroangie : Fri, Feb-05-10 at 01:40.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 08:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 191/189/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Hypo symptoms coming back.

Thanks Nancy and Maile1 for your comments. My last bloodwork was last late summer, I had been upped to .125 mg synthroid last spring. I would go to my GP, but he would never up me from the .075 mg I had began with--saying that my levels was normal.

I think the brain fog is coming back too. Last night I made a great pot of chili. Even my 10 yr old ate some and usually he doesn't. Well, I left it on the stove to cool off before putting in the fridge. I completely forgot about it. Makes me feel bad to see such waste cause of my foggyness.

--Michelle
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 20:39

BF:

Michelle - I have just been diagnosed with a reverse T-3 problem and must get off the Synthroid and onto T-3 to correct this. Google reverse T-3 and also Wilson's Temperature Syndrome. I have had all of these problems of hypothyroid and just now discovered I was on the wrong medication. FInally, maybe, the end is in sight!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know it's always exciting to try something new and different. I've tried several things, they always start out great but didn't work out after awhile. Do keep us updated in how you feel, especially a few months from now. That's about how long I've been able to take T3 before it caused issues.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 11:02

BF:

WHat happened Nancy? Lisa told me that I had to get my iron level back up or it would cause problems, I just jope my endo will be open minded. With all the unexplained rashes, cold body temps, hair loss PLUS a normal TSH which is symptom, why wouldn't she want to try it???

Do tell me what happened!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 11:27
Experimenter

BF:

I just started feeling hyper and tired at the same time. It was when I switched to Armor thyroid. The explanation I got from folks here was adrenal fatigue. I haven't revisited the issue since then because of the expense of paying one of these fancy doctors to treat you and possibly not really solving the problem. I really, really hate hyperT symptoms, they're just incredibly nasty.

I'm trying to be smarter about jumping onto bandwagons. I'll let other people jump on them and follow their progress and see what happens. I can't really afford to do otherwise right now. Unfortunately people jump on the bandwagon, trumpet enthusiastically about it, but then you never hear about what happens later on. So do keep trumpeting!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 15:18

BF:

I do know that I was able to lose weight this year faster on the T-3! I also know I am still hypothyroid and the doctor doesn't care so I have GOT to help myself!!!! I so appreciate your advice Nancy!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 00:27

BF:

Nancy...did you say that you tried Armour, and it made you hyper and tired at the same time or was it the T3 only that did this? I sorta misunderstood what you wrote. Doesn't Armour have T4 in it? If so, couldn't T4 actually make RT3 get worse? That's why I have laid off the synthroid, at least for now. I KNOW the T4 did nothing for the hair loss and I wasn't feeling better with it either. Only the T3 stopped the hair loss! It was massive too...I blew up the central vac in our house.

From what I've learned, if you have leptin resistance you have to deal with that in order to really get better. I found out I definitely do NOT have it but DO have an RT3 problem as my ratio of RT3 to Free T3 is out of whack. I have joined two yahoo groups now that talk a lot about this.

One is http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leptin_Resistance and the other one is Val's T3 Resistance group http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42879/*h.../group/RT3_T3at

I've learned a lot there about "how" to take T3 so that it fixes the problem without making you hyper. I checked on this too b/c I am already too hyper and can't sleep as it is! If nothing else you can get a code (at link #1) that will let you order the leptin test directly online. You can find out if leptin resistance is a problem very, very easily. Didn't cost much for the test either. Now, I am onto learning all about Wilson's Temperature Syndrome because I have ruled out "leptin resistance" as the cause of any of my problems.

I must say though....in a conversation w/ the forum owner, she did say "I don't believe you have a leptin problem" but, it was information I didn't have and wanted so now I am better armed for my endo appt. At least now I know and don't have to even bring this up at all to the doctor. I still wish I didn't have to be learning all this stuff....but it's obvious the medical profession can't be trusted to fix us. Look at what they have done to people with low fat diets and now continue to do with statins! I have no reason to believe our thyroid conditions are going to be treated properly. I want FULL resolution of my symptoms if possible....and I am going to keep on keeping on. Reverse T3 can be cured and even on the Wilson's site, it says it can be unrelated to Hashimoto's.

Whew.....didn't mean to go on and on.....sorry! You have helped me a lot so I had to try to return the favor.

Last edited by aeroangie : Wed, Feb-10-10 at 01:48.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 03:13

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgoble
I left it on the stove to cool off before putting in the fridge. I completely forgot about it. Makes me feel bad to see such waste cause of my foggyness.

--Michelle

Next time, just re-boil it the next morning, and you should be fine.

I haven't lost hair, but my hair has gotten much coarser (not as soft and shiny) as I've gotten older. Still only a few random gray hairs, though. But my doctor told me that most hair problems come from losing estrogen as women get older. Since I am in peri-menopause, it made sense to me.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 10:58
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Nancy...did you say that you tried Armour, and it made you hyper and tired at the same time or was it the T3 only that did this? I sorta misunderstood what you wrote. Doesn't Armour have T4 in it? If so, couldn't T4 actually make RT3 get worse? That's why I have laid off the synthroid, at least for now. I KNOW the T4 did nothing for the hair loss and I wasn't feeling better with it either. Only the T3 stopped the hair loss! It was massive too...I blew up the central vac in our house.

I don't have a functioning thyroid at all, it was killed with radiation (on purpose). So my meds need to replace T4 (which is the main thyroid hormone) and arguably T3. Although pigs and humans don't make the same T4/T3 ratio.

Taking only T3 would probably kill me over time.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 22:39

BF:

Wow - you have had to deal with this mess for years then! I feel bad even complaining about an RT3 problem. If you were to get a problem like RT3, is it still fixable without a thyroid gland? Without it, do you still make T4 from foods? When they zapped it, did they have to take it out? It has been mentioned that they may have to take part of mine out but I won't even have that conversation with any endo around here! I'd definitely go to Duke for that. I am just tired of these hypo symptoms mainly and if I could lose 10 more pounds too, I'm definitely game. From what I have read, it doesn't take long to reverse the problem. My feet are ice blocks right now - under covers, in socks. I can't keep living like this is all I know and must try something other than what is currently being done!

Have you ever talked to a Naturopath? I would love to consult with one....but of course, that's hours away.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 11:57
Experimenter

BF:

Thyroid hormone only comes from the thyroid gland, or medicine, you don't get it from food. The only difference between T3/T4 is one iodine molecule and you body can strip off that molecule. I think it happens at the cell level as well as being made by the thyroid. Your thyroid actually products 7 different sorts of thyroid, T1-T7 and calcitonin.

From what I understand the liver can pump out RT3 to slow your metabolism if it thinks you're starving. It's a survival thing. And what is starvation? It's basically the burning of body fat. I don't think the body cares if you do that via low fat/low calorie or low carb, you're burning fat.

I don't think just anyone called a naturopath is going to have answers. I'm always hoping to find a doctor with answers as to why I can't lose this last 20-30 pounds. But I have to be responsible with my money right now so I'm cautious to try ones that were recommended to me. I've been disappointed before. And all these alternative doctors are pushing their vitamins and stuff like made, makes me suspicious of them.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 12:40

BF:

I have wondered about that myself, becaue of all the supplements. I "say" I'd be happy just to resolve the hypo symptoms and keep the 10 pounds, but the truth is, I want that gone too. That's definitely a factor in all of this. We are women after all!!! For my husband though, it really is about his heart health. I wanted to ask you about Niacin in addition to his Co- enzyme Q-10, Fish Oil, Coconut Oil and Vit. D regimen. I'll post over on the Cholesterol board if you think I should. He wants to add Niacin.