Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Emotional Binge Eating

I am feeling dangerously close to binge eating. As I sit here feeling like..."I don't care." "I'm doing so well, one day won't hurt." "Why does everyone else in the house get to eat pizza...I want pizza too!" Add a thousand other destructive thoughts running through my mind.

And I have found the connection. I am missing my mom so much today. What the good is mother's day when mine is gone!! Feeling very sorry for myself and down in the dumps. She's been gone for a little over 2 years and it's still tough.

I just have to get through the day without derailing. I can do it. It's just interesting how much my emotional state can affect my choices (or at least try to).

For all of you that still have your mom's give her an extra big hug today. Call her on the phone. Tell her that you love her and appreciate everything she's done for you. What I wouldn't give to be able to do that today!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 15:09

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Huggs Blackstone.
Try to hang in there today. If you must binge, make it protein and fats. Way less damage that way.
Noticing that your emotions are playing a part in your eating habits is a huge step in the right direction!
One day of high carbs can hurt. Eating crap won't make you feel better. But getting through the day cleanly will make you feel better tomorrow
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 15:19

BF:

Hi Christina - I know, you're right. And I was thinking...my mom would probably kick me right in the ass for feeling sad. She's in a better place and the world is the way it's supposed to be at this time. Just drinking water and waiting for these stupid feelings to go away. Thanks for chiming in!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 16:14

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

"..my mom would probably kick me right in the ass for feeling sad."...try and remember that throughout the day, im sure she would only want you to be happy and healthy ..
I lost my mum 6 yrs ago and some days its harder then others, we are meant to miss them, it only shows how much you love them.try to remain strong today and if you have to comfort eat then just eat all day if you have to but on lots of dark choc, and fats, you will feel better tomorrow..maybe light a candle for your mum and have 30 mins of where you remember all the good things and her love and strength...tomorrow will feel better..
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 16:17

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I lost my mom too, it was 20 years ago and the feeling of loss never goes away. Not saying I grieve all the time, of course not. But when I think of her, which is often, I miss her. And it can still bring me to tears. So, if you give in to bingeing over it you're going to be bingeing for ever. Can you distract yourself today? Coming on here to write about it was a very smart move, as was drinking water. If you must have the comfort of food, do as Livinright said and make it fat and protein. How about making a trip to the grocery store to buy some low carb comfort: avocados, coconut oil, butter, even pork rinds? Not if the grocery store is a carb-temptation though. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but think how proud you'll be of yourself when you get through this day cleanly.... and how proud your mom will be of you. Do it for yourself and as a Mother's Day gift for her.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 17:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Big hugs!
I bet nothing would bring her more joy than knowing you got through today, without straying. Hang tight- you have got this!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 17:26

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Amber, sorry you're feeling so bad. I hope you managed to get through the day, and that you'll feel better tomorrow.

Just as a suggestion - why not buy flowers in memory of your mum for mother's day, and have them in the house to enjoy. You can still celebrate your mom even though she's not physically there right now.

((((Big hugs))))
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 17:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am so sorry for your loss. But her love will always be with you.

I think you have made a great breakthrough in the connection between bingeing and emotions. I made a lot of progress myself when I realized giving in would make me both bloated and sad!

It's easier just to deal with sad
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 18:16

BF:

Whofan - I am so sorry to hear that you lost your mother. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. My husband is making dinner right now. It's chicken, cream cheese, cauliflower with crumbled pork rinds on top. It's very high fat/protein and comfort food. I know my mom would want me to take care of myself. Thanks!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 18:18

BF:

Robin, Kirsteen & Werebear - Thank you for your thoughts and support. I will make it through!! I just appreciate the support. And I'm so glad that I'm starting to make connections. Yes, I could stuff my face with a bunch of bad food when I feel bad, but then I just feel worse. Food will not bring my mom back or make me miss her any less. So, I will move forward...knowing that I can do this!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 18:22

BF:

aramaya - Thank you for your thoughts. I am sorry for the loss of your mother. You are so right, we are meant to miss them. And I am grateful that my mom had such an impact on my life. She was my best friend, mom and the best grandmother to my daughter. She is always with me in spirit!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-13-13, 09:22

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4"
BF:BMI=23.2

I don't really have anything to add... I lost my mom, too, a few years ago. I keep thinking I'll get used to living without her, but I don't.

I think we're lucky to have had moms who are great enough to change our lives and leave a hole when they're gone. HUGS!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-13-13, 09:59

BF:

Trillex - I am sorry for your loss. I think mom's are just about the most special gift of all. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs back!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-13-13, 18:13

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Blackstone: Just checking in to see how you are. Did you get through yesterday okay? How are you feeling today?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-13-13, 20:38

BF:

Hey Whofan - Thanks for checking in on me. I made it through! And am feeling better today...much better!