Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 13:16

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Cheated and am paying for it!

I've definitely learned my lesson.

I'd been VLC for 2 weeks, and did achieve ketosis according to the test strips.
Well I cheated yesterday.
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I honestly wanted to sort of...test and see if all these new eating rules I've started with Paleo/Primal really make a difference.

So yesterday I had a blueberry muffin and latte for breakfast and lunch. Then for dinner I went out for vegetable sushi, and ordered two dishes that had rice and tofu in them. Veggie sushi is my favorite, but grains and unfermented soy are no-no's on Paleo. Then for dessert I had some M&Ms...that was when I first noticed a difference yesterday. I love sweets. I had binge eating disorder as late as last month and could easily polish of a 'family sized' bag of chocolate. Well I only ate about 2 handfuls of the M&Ms because after a few bites they tasted so disgusting.

Today I'm definetly a believer in 'wheat belly' too because my insides feel bloated and burny...I also have dreadful heartburn.

I didn't weigh myself this morning because I was afraid of what the scale would say and if it disheartened me too much it might turn my one-day cheat into something worse. I did measure myself though, and my waist is a little bigger but that's probably just from the bloating.

I won't swear never again, but I'll definetly try to remember how horrible this feels and that it is possible to feel better if I eat right.

Last edited by s-piper : Thu, Feb-28-13 at 13:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 14:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Take to heart Primal Blueprint's 'carbohydrate curve', not the 80-20 rule! I started on Atkins/Dr Westman's clinic plan limited to 20g TC, and added some vegetables to that, but was always ketogenic, or under 50g total on Sisson's curve. I wanted to lose the weight more than I wanted flexibility. Lately I have been adding sweet potato, but as an older woman with a history of yo-yo dieting, even extra carbs are controlled and nothing with wheat.
Primal eaters don't always lose weight.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-r.../#axzz2MEDuRurD
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 14:54

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

I have already lost some.
Plus, I don't have a huge taste for fat so I don't expect to have troubles with eating to much of it.
I do have a huge distaste for counting though. Carbs or calories, it drives me so crazy. It's worse than scale obsessing for me.

The Primal aspect is really just for optimal health, it's the LC that I'm doing to lose weight.
That's why I was a little skeptical of whether or not wheat and other grains REALLY makes that much difference. Well now I'm a believer!
I also completely acknowledge that I over did it on the carbs. I don't know what got into me, but I sort of...wanted to push my luck. Thank God my body is rebelling. It'll get me back on track.

I really hope you aren't telling me not to expect to lose weight though because I have a lot to lose.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lots of folks get a nasty backlash after they've gone a few weeks wheat free.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 18:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You can lose weight on Primal, if you keep carbs towards the lower end of Mark's curve, and follow his weight loss tips. "Cheating" is allowed 20% of the time on Primal, so it's that part that doesn't fit into weight loss. Eat Only primal foods, don't go crazy measuring, but go light on the fruits and starches for now if the goal is weight loss.