Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/217/160
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile Depression

Is there anyone else out there that is fighting depression and trying to diet?

I would appreciate support for the diet and a shoulder for the depression.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 09:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 302/299/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Tonmur!

My name is Kelly aka angelwings and I am a newbie to this site, but love it. There are SO many neat people here and great advice. It's wonderful because they have ALL been there and understand the ups and downs of it.

I too, have been fighting depression, which I'm not particularly prone to. Mostly, I'm an optimist, happy-go-lucky. Now, though, I have been FIGHTING it because of financial reasons. So, yes, I understand what it's like to try and do this lo-carb woe and struggle with depression. It's hard, I know. Since I have NEVER stayed on a diet for more than a day, I'm pretty darn proud of myself now. It's been since the 2nd of January and I'm still hanging in there. Alot of comfort foods look tempting, but I know they will make me more miserable with guilt after I eat them. I wish you loads of good luck, Tonmur, and will be more than happy to buddy up with ya seeing that I need all the buddy's I can get, too! You can do it and I can do it, only take it one day, one hour, one emotion at a time.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 09:34

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Greetings tonmur,

I too am prone to depression, and when I lived in Europe and before that, I had to take meds. In Eastern Europe, I also had SAD very badly. However, when I came back to Ohio, my system recognized that it was much lighter here, and the SAD I used to experience in Europe is gone.

I have found a problem with dieting while depressed, which can actually be used to make it better.I'm not talking so much about checmicals in the fo od, but about eating behaviors and patterns.

If my eating is out of control, I feel that my whole life is out of control. I feel hopeless, and can't get motivation to do anything. If I'm already depressed, it feeds into it and makes it worse. Then I overeat (I usually overeat when depressed or bored) and feel like crap for having done so, and get more depressed, and overeat more, and so the spiral goes.

However, I have learned that if I can even get one day of eating in a healthy way, and if I can repeat that pattern for a few more days, it usually makes me feel better about myself, and I don't feel so out of control of my life, and I start to feel some hope, and the depression feels lighter and I feel better.

The problem comes in when I've been doing well, and then slip or overeat or see that I've gained instead of lost, or some such thing. If I'm not in depression mode, it's not that big a deal. If I have an underlying depression, a bad moment becomes a bad day, and could develop into a bad week if I allow the feelings of darkness and hopelessness to overcome me.

For the past month, I've been plugging away, in a mild depression, trying not to mess up my WOE. I did on New Years, but with the help of this forum I was able to not get into a downward spiral, and a bad weekend remained there...I didn't carry it into the future with me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 10:15
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Tuesday

I am hoping to get some major help from my new doc. I have been getting no where for the last three years or more. I just hate it that anything and everything sets me into zombie mode. I am sick of the anxiety. I just want help and hopefully I will get it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:50

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 226/217/155
BF:
Progress: 13%

Tonmur,,

Hey we talked earlier today when I was asking for advice on LCing. Well let me tell you I have experienced depression first hand over the last year. MY entire family(both parents sides, and all of my siblings)have delt with depression for years and have been on meds for it. I never had to deal with it for myself until my marriage ended this last year, and it hit hard. I was unable to see how low I had gotten, but fortunetly I have wonderful friends and family who saw and got me to the doctor. I never wanted to take anything for it, because I should beable to fix it myself, or so I thought. However when I saw that it was effecting my girls I ran to the doctor. She started me on Paxil, which did nothing, however we kept trying until I got on Wellbutrun and Prozac, it works wonderful for me, I'm like a completley different person, I swear. I don't know what will work for your system, but my point is to keep trying until you find what works for you----you will be amazed at the difference. Good luck.
almost30
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:24

Stats: 142/128/128 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi there...

Hey Tonmur,
I too battle depression and like almost30, so does most of my family. Definitely ask your MD about medication. My depression hit the hardest in my mid 20's (I am 33 now) and I tried to deal without meds for a year. Finally, I was in a "black hole" that I could not find my way out of by myself. I started zoloft and I have never looked back. It has completely changed my life. When you find what works for you, it will feel as though a fog has been lifted and you can think and see more clearly. It is hard to explain, but it sounds as though it is worth looking into for you. I wish you a happier and healthier 2002! I'm around if you need to "talk!"
Hugs,
Carrie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:45

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up

Hi Tonmur,

Congratulations, you've taken the first BIG step, admitting that you are depressed and need help.

All the folks who responded b4 me gave some very excellent advice. I can only echo what they say. Rx meds have saved my life. I have no idea how I would/could function without my Luvox. If I get the weepies (it happens!) it is usually a result of a missed dose. I find it amazing that missing 1 dose results in a bad case of the weepies but it's true.

One thing I'd like to add, with a little explanation. Please consider some counselling if there are issues in your life you may need help with. While I have a classic case of chemical depression (ie serotonin re-uptake inhibitors are needed to keep me on an even keel) there are some serious issues in my life that I'm dealing up, with the help of a psychologist.

Ann Landers would say, get thee to counselling if there are events or issues in your life, past & present, that are causing you pain/problems.

I hope your new doctor is supportive and helps you find the right meds.

Good luck & keep us posted on how you are doing.

PS Being in control of my food intake does make me happier, stronger and more positive!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 23:30

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 205.2/193.4/155
BF:
Default Diet & Depression

Tonmur,
I also suffer from depression. Sounds like you're getting some interesting advice so far. I took Zoloft for 2 & a half years and the effect was the same as described by DoodleBug - for most of the time - my life was great. This past summer the fog in my head started to come back - but not the depression. I spent 3 months getting off my meds & now suffer from headaches that feel like I'm having a stroke. Going for a CT scan this month.
I've been in induction almost 2 weeks now. My headaches are not as frequent and the other withdrawl symptoms are all gone. So is the massive fog!!!!!
I work in community mental health, with many psychiatric survivors. The ones that I know that have tried LC-ing, have had similar difficulties - depression vs. dieting. However, they've also noted that their depression (for those suffering from it) subsides if they can make it through induction. Also, med-free.
So I figured, 2 weeks of withdrawl from carbs can't be anything near as bad as (now) 4 months of withdrawl from meds.
My advice, I guess, is to try & tough it out without the meds, if you can.
I rarely give advice about mental health questions related to dieting, but this time, I felt that I had to give you another perspective about the meds.
I also agree that "talk-therapy" is great for depression. Try it.
As rediculous as it sounds (I've been there), try to keep your focus on LC-ing, not the depression.
I haven't looked around the boards enough yet, but I have discovered a few mental health related postings - I wonder if we should start another board?
Hope my view on this helps. Sincerely.
Charmainia
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Depression (I will put this in my journal)

Well, I have suffered from depression/anxiety since I was in High School - so for the past 15 years I have been fighting this. My most recent problems is depression with severe anxiety. It is so hard to even get out of the house. But, I go today to see a new doc and I hope that she will help me or know of someone who will. Loosing some weight really has boosted my spirits - but it sure doesn't take care of the mental side of me. I just want to live a normal life and I am just waiting for that. I have a wonderful, supportive husband, wonderful, supportive mother and wonderful, supportive sisters. WE TALK, and talk, and talk. I think that is what makes my family so close.

I really need something for the anxiety attacks. I have taken Buspar - but it makes me feel like I wish I were not alive. That is a terrible feeling. I take Celexa and it helps somewhat - but doesn't take care of it all and it does have sexual side effects folks. (Once again, glad I have such an understanding husband).
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 09:53

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 205.2/193.4/155
BF:
Default Dieting & Depression

Hi there tonmur.
Sorry. I didn't mean to offend with my post. From following the other posts with advice on taking meds, I thought that an alternative should be presented. I realize that losing weight alone won't take care of the "mental side" of life completely, but LC-ing, from what I understand of it, does force chemical changes within the body. By logic only, I think that this also has an effect on the chemical balance in the brain. Not the same (or as effective maybe) as SSRI's for example, but some sort of change.
My experience with depression has gone on for about 20 years now. Zoloft was the first & only med that I ever took for it - if I hadn't, I wouldn't be here to talk about it. I really appreciate what you've said and am glad that you've opened this discussion.
I will keep my 2 cents to myself. Good luck and good mental health with the new doc today.
Charmainia
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:05

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Unhappy misunderstood

charmainia -
i think you misunderstood. i did not, from tonmur's post, get that you offended. quite the contrary, i think she was just giving us more information.
your 2 cents was insightful and well thought out. i hope you do not refrain from posting.

in regards to depression, i will give my 2 cents, and what has worked for me.
i was on 400 mg of wellbutrin (daily). during that time i was in counseling at least 2 days a week. while i do not promote the rx issue, i certainly would never dismiss it. i would not have survived that year without them, and they enabled me to WORK my problems.

i came to terms with my rx use with the thinking that i have a chemical imbalance in my brain, and the meds help to balance that. just like if i had an infection, i would take meds for that.

every single person is as different as snowflakes. each one beautiful in it's own respect.
hth,
regards,
brenda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile anxiety and me

Hi, I'm an anxiety person
I've been lcing for 5 months and I've actually had to lower my prozac level after 4 months so there is good news for us!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default Oh - you didn't offend me at all!

Charmainia

Oh - you didn't offend me at all!!!! I am sorry that you think that. I agree that sometimes you can get off the meds and then there are some like me that I sure don't know what I need. I sure wish I could be meds free. Hopefully, one day, mentally I won't need meds. I'll just have to keep praying for that. Believe me, I appreciate all your input. I say - keep them coming. I need all the positive energy I can get.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 221.0/219.0/190.0 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile Nutritional Supplements

Get yourself a copy (or drop by GNC and use theirs) of Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James and Phyllis A. Balch. Although St. John's Wort hasn't worked for me, I've had some success with 5-HTP and with Kava for anxiety. One of the nice side effects is a drop in appetite! I only use them occasionally to supplement my Zoloft (like many of the others that replied -- it's been about 7 years!) Family history often plays a big part -- I had to wake up to the fact that depression is often beyond the individual and not always something you can control through "just trying to feel good" Good luck with it -- sometimes just getting something like your diet under control can be a big step as well -- also make sure you're getting some form of exercise daily -- even if it's only a 20-30 minute walk!

PW
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 06:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default I am wondering?

Could all my depression and anxiety be caused from sleep apnea? I wake up several times in the night not breathing.