Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 13:20

Plan: none
Stats: 184/182/155 Male 5'9"
BF:26%
Progress: 7%
Default Carbs in just the "crust" of a pierogi ?

We buy some at the local farmers market, so no nutritional info on the packages. I've been eating one pierogi stuffed with scrambled eggs and cheese each morning for breakfast and wondered how carb-ascious is the stuff holding the eggs and cheese together via that cute but possibly evil little clamshell of flour and whatnot ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 13:56

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

There could be trace carbs in the filling but I would imagine that if you could completely separate the filling from the dumpling, it would be pretty low.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
There could be trace carbs in the filling but I would imagine that if you could completely separate the filling from the dumpling, it would be pretty low.
Ah yes..."dumpling" is the word, not crust...(cooking is not my strong suit).

On the "separation" yes of course but that's not the point...the dumpling part is what makes it so good.....thus the question...how many carbs in a typical periogi dumpling ?

If the answer is 30 or so then it's hopeless and I'll go back to boiled eggs but if the answer is 15, then not so bad if I don't eat the entire dumpling, maybe I can keep it to 10.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 14:26

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

"...On the "separation" yes of course but that's not the point...the dumpling part is what makes it so good..."
Oops, I was going from the viewpoint that I often find myself facing a food that I wouldn't have ordinarily chosen and so have to find a way to make it fit with the plan. I should have realized that wasn't the context when you said y'all get them at the farmer's market. I read the title as "are the carbs only in the crust or are the carbs from the crust mixed in with the filling?" Some foods are easier to separate out than others. So, the real answer to your question is, "I have no idea". Don't you hate it when someone answers your question but has no idea what the answer is? ; )
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 14:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What I learned from my grandmother was basically an egg noodle, egg, flour, water salt. It could have milk. I'd just use the carb count from a similar sized noodle.

If it satisfies you for breakfast, it sounds like your pierogi are bigger than the ones Nanny made, so I couldn't really guess, either.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
What I learned from my grandmother was basically an egg noodle, egg, flour, water salt. It could have milk. I'd just use the carb count from a similar sized noodle.

If it satisfies you for breakfast, it sounds like your pierogi are bigger than the ones Nanny made, so I couldn't really guess, either.
Just measured a few... a "D" shape that average 4" long x 2" wide x 1" thick
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 14:39

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

The outside of a perogi is all carbs I googled it and they suggested 37.