Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-13, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default No, I'm not that other Fat Girl.

I'm incredibly frustrated. Several times in my life, I have found myself associating with some heavy girl with a similar hair style, and suddenly people *really* can't tell us apart. It's one thing to make an honest mistake when people look similar, but I'm talking about, someone I've known for several years wondering why I haven't looked up at them 10 minutes into their monologue when they've addressed me by the wrong name.

Not only is it incredibly insulting, frankly, these people are usually much heavier than I am. Now, I know, there's like scientific research to back up the idea that we see ourselves MUCH less critically than we see others, and I've certainly been shocked in photos in my life... So, maybe, here and there, I looked a LOT like the person they were comparing me to.

Um. But I've lost nearly 100 pounds now. People are still mixing me up with the same 300 pound girl they were mixing me up with years ago. I've changed my hair, uh, specifically because of this. We carry ourselves completely different; professionally I work circles around her; she has this meek, mild whisper for a voice while I'm on the verge of "too loud" with my assertiveness and clarity... I'm not trying to smack talk. She didn't do anything wrong. But I'm NOTHING like her, and I just can't believe it.

It's not even about appearance anymore. I'm just starting to get the feeling that all fat people are just completely invisible to everyone else in the world. I feel completely written off and ignored. The idea that I could know someone for years; remember that 2 weeks ago, they looked really upset about something; follow up about their sick dog with them... and they could have a conversation with me for several minutes and not realize which fat girl I am. You know. Out of the two that are like 150 pounds apart. Jeez. It really infuriates me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 15:46
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

Been there done that.
Was completely horrified to be compared to other woman.Then She went through divorce and lost 100 #'s.
My personality is better,
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 17:52

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are these people who mix you up merely acquaintances? Most people are self-absorbed and don't pay much attention to others unless they are actually friends, or co-workers they see every day, or family.

I live in an apartment building. The door staff and a few people I know well don't mix me up, but I believe one or two of the other neighbors think I'm someone else, because 40lbs ago I did slightly resemble another woman who is about my age and coloring but even then she was heavier. One neighbor kept asking me how my dog is. I don't have one, but the other woman does. One day I kind of lost patience and I said "Look, you ask me that every time you see me but you never bother to listen to the answer. I don't have a dog." She was so shocked. It would be unfortunate if she tells everyone it was the other woman who was rude to her!

The great thing is you've lost 100lbs! That's amazing. Shrug off the self-absorbed ones and focus your energy on people who really see and like you.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 19:29

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

That sux. It's hard enough trying to claw back your self-esteem and stay committed to your method without people like that!

Don't let them throw shade on you baby, you're doin' it right!