Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/165/150 Female 5'5"
BF:It is scary!
Progress: 84%
Question Is anyone taking diet pills???

I have been on the akins diet for probably 6 weeks and I am also taking diet pills. So I was just wondering if anyone else was taking diet pills?Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:51

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My knee jerk reaction is to recommend that you don't take "diet" pills... But which type are you referring to? Did a doctor give them to you?

I wouldn't, ever. But that's just my .02. But I follow the plan as written. I don't recall reading that diet pills are OK in the Atkins plan.

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:23

I'am taking hydroxycut (ephedrine free), they seem to help. I was just wondering if anyone else took anything similar and if it helped?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:31
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Only an opinion.

They key to why Atkins works is that you are finally allowed to listen to your body. You are suddenly allowed to eat whenever you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied. In fact for some of us, me included, eating more helps me lose.

That is why I believe I can do this for life.

Pills alter what your body is telling you and my concern is that when you stop taking pills you won't understand what your body needs.

All the best to you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:36

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here's a discussion already taking place on the subject that might interest you, SweetSheri:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=98890

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:47

Thanks Donald!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:59

Plan: atkins and zone
Stats: 193/170/155
BF:
Progress: 61%
Talking

Hi, I use EAS betalean ephedra free. The first time I tried atkins, I hit my goal of losing 20lbs, but I did not have the energy to exercise the way I was accustomed to. After the holidays, I started atkins again and started using the betalean. It gives me the energy I need to effectively weight train and do aerobics.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:12

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%
Cool my opinion

HI,
I use to take fastin before this WOL and ended up gaining.I went off it and back low carbing but i do take Metabolife w/ephedrine. It helps with energy.I work 12 hr shifts and i am lucky to sit 10 mins per shift.Not even joking.Thank God i love my job.I think it helps alot. as long as you don't abuse it.

Good luck
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:30

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I take Metabolean (Jennifer) it works way better than Metabolife. I lost 43 pounds using it before Atkin's came along. I find that it gives me more energy and helps with the cravings.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: Who knows!
Stats: 124/117/103 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:20% / 19% / 16%
Progress: 33%
Post Just In Case...

I saw that whole bit on stacking...(caffeine+ephedrine+aspirin) and was interested since all those diet pills are kinds pricey. I think I might try it after I finish this week of Atkins Accel. (I'm gonna wait a week in between.) For any body who is interested...

200mg caffeine (JetAlert at Target for like $3)
20-25mg Ephedrine (Finally found just that here)
81mg Aspirin (Take 1 baby aspirin or .5 of an adult one)

Has any body done this with luck? It's overall cheaper and I wanna get some input before diving in head first.

Last edited by Purrrinces : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 13:04.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 15:57

Plan: Arkins
Stats: 206/206/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started to low carb on the advice of my doctor because I need to lose weight, my triglycerides are elevated, and my blood sugar is a little high (though not close to diabetes yet). I'm taking AM-300 with ephedra. I haven't had any bad side effects yet, so far it's good but it's only my second day. I feel like I have more energy to get things done around my house, that's for sure. And I even exercised today to my WATP video. It was recommended to me by a girlfriend who has used it for years and had wonderful results both in losing and keeping off pounds.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 16:17

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default hey

I hope I don't sound like a sour grandma - - but, ephedrine worries me. Itan mess up your heart & cause stroke, EVEN IN PEOPLE WHO ARE ON RELATIVELY LOW DOSES AND HAD NO RISK FACTORS for stroke/heart disease. Some of these catastophic outcomes ae irreversible.

So, you could be a totally healthy young person,. with normal blood pressure and no family history of stroke, who uses only moderate amounts of ephedrine, and you could literally drop dead (or wind up with brain or heart damage).

Sorry. I want to be supportive and nonjudgmental and I admit, the urge to lose weight led me to use ephedrine in the past too.

But now that I know about the risks I can't do it any more.

#13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 16:26

Plan: Arkins
Stats: 206/206/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I know...

I know ephedra has its problems. I did a bunch of research into it too. For some people it really does help though. And like I said my girlfriend has used it for years. I'm taking a very low dose, and one of the things about it is that it must be used as directed, if it's abused it will definitely cause you problems. I'm not promoting it at all, I know it has its negatives! (By the way, you can get AM-300 ephedra-free.)