Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 09:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 295/295/170 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello I have Cardiomyopathy

Looking to do this keto thing safely without arythmia, anyone else have this problem?
Haven't started yet just doing a lot of reading lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 03:36

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 193/184.2/140 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi, I dont have this problem so cant give any advice, but I do get palpitations and ectopic beats. I have been doing intermittent fasting on and off for a year or so and my palpitations initially got worse on my fasting days. I found if I ate some sugar they resolved!! I have read loads of stuff and apparently its common, for lots of reasons, and the same when I began Keto. Obviously I cant use sugar as a remedy now, so I've started taking fish oil and magnesium supplements. So far so good, I've only had 2 episodes of bad palpitations in 3 weeks. Still a work in progress me thinks!
Do you have access to a good cardiologist who believes in this way of eating? I'm no doctor but I am a nurse and if I were in your shoes I would feel more comfortable doing this under medical supervision, at least initially. I think there has been some research that has shown the keto diet is beneficial to cardiomyopathy patients in the long term, but Ive not read it or know enough about it to comment.
Good luck and I hope you find it works for you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 08:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I got some palpitations and weird swings in blood pressure the first time I did Atkins Induction. Over time that effect went away. In addition to working with your doctor, it might make sense to ease into things, slowly lowering your carb intake over time, rather than making an abrupt switch.