Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 14:47

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default The Baconator

My daughter is spending the afternoon and evening at a friend's house. My husband has golf on Tuesdays. As I have a final exam tomorrow, I decided to treat my son to Wendy's for dinner so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking anything for him.

When I ordered his meal, I totally broke under the pressure of this question: "Anything Else?"

That's when I panicked about my own dinner, instantly imagining myself emptying a can of almonds followed by the entire Lindt chocolate bar in my cupboard whilst in the throes of studying, so I impulsed shopped a burger.

I skimmed the menu quickly and hit paydirt... a burger heaped with bacon. How could anything possibly be more perfect than that? It was decided. Plus, the last time I ordered a Wendy's salad, I promptly tossed it into the garbage after looking up the nutrition info. (This shoulda been my red flag. Never eat meat prepared by people who can f*** up a salad.)

"Yes. I'll have a Baconator."

"What size? Single, double or triple?"

I confidently replied, "I'll have the triple."

I expected a funny look or a confirmation from the clerk, such as "Are you sure?" I was fully prepared to justify my order to her by telling her about the Atkins Diet. "It's OK ma'am. I am an Atkins dieter. We eat meat and bacon without shame" or, "This is like diet food for me. I'll need smaller pants in the morning for sure!"

She didn't even raise an eyebrow, though.

There was no fanfare. No streamers shot out from the ceiling; no clown popped out of the back room with balloons; the manager did not present me with a free t-shirt declaring "TRIPLE BACONATOR EATING CHAMPION 2011"; no one snapped my photo to hang on the wall of past Baconator eaters. I was just another customer ordering another sandwich.

In fact, I was asked if I wanted more food to go with it.

When I brought home this monstrosity, I removed the buns and disassembled it onto a dinner plate. This thing is HUGE. It's so huge that I cannot fathom someone eating one of these things with a side of fries and a coke. I could have split this sandwich up as a family meal. I am embarrassed to have ordered it now that I had it in front of me.

I'll eat it - in installments, if need be - because I paid over $7 for it.

The Wendy's burger is a contradiction of saltiness and lack thereof. I don't know how the sandwich artists at Wendy's manage to make a sandwich that tastes like pure salt, but when you take a bite into the meat the first thing that pops into your head is, "needs salt." I'll probably be swollen tomorrow due to the extra salt but the burger had zero taste. How the hell did fast food taste so good in my former life?!

Next time, I spend my $7 on a nice steak and spend the time slaving over the grill!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/225/180 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 25%

I totally get what your saying, my wife and I went out the other day just walking around downtown and I kind of become like a kid somtimes if I dont get what I want (Grumpy) all I wanted was to eat out, So I agreed if we are going to eat out lets make it a salad so we went to a local pub and ordered two salads 30 bucks later I was ticked not only because the salad terrible but I kept thinking I could of had a real nice steak on the BBQ!! so I've come to the conclusion it's not worth eating out unless you plan on falling off the wagon.. Life on low carb, it is what it is ....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 04:53

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've had the Baconator (sans bun, no ketchup, add mayo on the side for dipping), but I couldn't eat the whole thing at once, either. I think the last time I had it was when the Baconator first came out, so there were no options for single or double - it was triple or nothin'! I actually prefer 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers with no buns and no tomato.

Melabrown, I eat out a LOT. In fact, up until just a few weeks ago, we used to literally eat out 7 days a week. It is absolutely possible to eat out frequently without "falling off the wagon."
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 05:24

Plan: Gary Taubes
Stats: 428/363/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I feel like when you're in a pinch and on the road, you could do a lot worse than a bunless fast food burger.

The bacon in the baconator seems to be more carby than normal bacon, just FYI.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 05:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I liked them, have only had 2 in the last year but thought the baconator rocked it. No bun, no ketchup and mayo for dipping. Yeah I would do it again, maybe not daily but in a pinch.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 07:38

Plan: Keto
Stats: 194/159/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I do not love fast food burgers as they do not taste great, but there are days when that is what works.