Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1036   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-17, 12:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I find that there are times that I must plan for future, and the challenge is for me to recognize that, complete the planning, and be in the moment for all the rest. Thud, I like your approach to the past, what's done is done, and the value comes from practicing lessons learned in the moment. This is the reality of our lives in that we will continue to think about the future by necessity at times, but honor the moment once these thoughts/ plans are complete. I've been able to reduce the amount of my future thinking by understanding what it is I need to plan and leave it there.

I stopped posting my challenge for this 90-day period, as I'm back into a LCHFKD (keto approach) full time. It's been the best WOL for me, as it's easy to sustain, and I can fit in anywhere whether it's barbecues, picnics, travel, or extending the times between feeding, it all works so well. If I'm hungry, I eat the right things, If I'm not, I IF. Experimenting with different foods (all on plan) has enabled me to fine tune my WOE, and it works, is enjoyable, and most importantly, is sustainable.
Sponsored Links
  #1037   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-17, 08:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default day 18

Thanks for the update Rob! My thinking on "planning" to be clear with myself is certainly to make a plan for "tomorrow" but after that has been formulated end thoughts of how that plan may play out. Those are thoughts of the future that hasn't happened yet. Those are thoughts that are wasting time distracting me from what I can't control, namely, what will play out in the future - sorta like that I guess...

Habit:

Spend time on the cushion practicing 6 R's each day - I will post each day if I was able to get time on the cushion or not - how long on the cushion will not be tracked, just if it happened or not.

6 R explanation go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egFZO2e799w

1) Recognize when you mind has a distraction in it
2) Release the distraction (don't keep attention on the distraction)
3) Relax the tightness in your mind
4) Re-smile (bring up something wholesome - a smile with the mind)
5) Return to the object of meditation (loving kindness to yourself and your spiritual friend)
6) Repeat staying with object of meditation as long as you can

Observation:

Sat last evening for some time watching distractions arise, releasing them, relaxing, re-smiling and returning to the object of meditation.
  #1038   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 19:33

BF:
Default day 19

No observations, sat yesterday evening. Was good to do.

I'm going to lay down now, been out kitefoiling most of the day and am bodily hammered. First time up on a foil under kite - so stoked.
  #1039   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 21:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
No observations, sat yesterday evening. Was good to do.

I'm going to lay down now, been out kitefoiling most of the day and am bodily hammered. First time up on a foil under kite - so stoked.

So good to be alive and living!!
  #1040   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 12:33

BF:
Default day 20

Yes it is Robyn. Sat last night before last entry so logging it today.
  #1041   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 11:46

BF:
Default day 21

Got in late after recording session, tried to lay down and watch 100 breaths. I drifted off around 50 and started to count up again from there. At least it was some time to slow down before sleeping. Woke up tired this morning.
  #1042   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 20:34

Good on ya fr keeping your commitment...
  #1043   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 21:11

BF:
Default day 22

thank you Robyn, if I failed 90 times in a row that would be just fine too. I would be OK. I take this very lightly.

I just finished sitting, starting with sending metta to myself per instructions. In cultivating that feeling a few interesting things happened.

- I thought came to my mind, "I'm happy that I'm my best friend"

- then, "I really enjoy hanging out with me"

- then, some tears streamed from my eyes and I felt very peaceful.

- then my sitting was over. Now it's time for bed.
  #1044   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 06:17

BF:
Default day 23

Habit:

Spend time on the cushion practicing 6 R's each day - I will post each day if I was able to get time on the cushion or not - how long on the cushion will not be tracked, just if it happened or not.

5) Return to the object of meditation (loving kindness to yourself and your spiritual friend)

Observation:

I liked this teachers take on "practice" at the end of this short 8 minute talk describing what is called SATIPATTHANA or something like Mindfulness.

https://youtu.be/dT-Vbnzb6tA
  #1045   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 20:08

BF:
Default day 24 and 25

Sat last night and again this evening.
  #1046   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 19:10

BF:
Default day 26

spent time sitting, actually laying, on a paddle board that I paddled up wind monday. The was interesting to watch my mind as I tried to let sounds go and not figure out or make a story about them. It was interesting.
  #1047   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 19:29

Thud, what body of water? I love to just float when we visit the ocean, weightless...
  #1048   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-17, 05:08

BF:
Default day 27

Habit:

Observation:

Robyn, Just a lake in the middle of Nowhere, USA - it's the one that's closest to you - go float.

Sitting last night was done before bed. This works better than laying down or floating I think.
  #1049   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-17, 08:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Confession time. My 90 Day Good Habit Workshop challenge has crashed and burned. The ultimate goal of this last 90 challenge was to get back into weight loss mode. It has been over 50 days since I started this and I have not met this goal. So I am going to end this attempt and start a new one when I am prepared to give it my all. Life got in the way of this one.

Of the 3 components of my challenge the exercise was no challenge at all. I like to walk. It is my meditation time. It relaxes me. I sleep better. What is not to love? I do it everyday. It has become part of who I am.

The goal of a return to "deep keto" level carbs and keeping calories under 2400 per day was hit and miss. I ate nothing but OP food with a single one-time exception. Most weekdays were good. Most weekends involved too much OP food. I've been weight stable and I'm still wearing the clothes that I first fit into a year ago. In fact, I'm starting to wear some of them out and for once the cause is not splitting seams. But I'm still not at the weight that I want to be. I want to lose a little more weight. I will keep working towards this end.

The major fail of this challenge was tracking food. That is the main reason that I'm ending this challenge. My entire family is now eating low carb and we are eating a wider array of new LC recipes, many of which are not registered as a custom food in MY PLAN. Tracking ingredient by ingredient is time consuming and certainly not very accurate. My summer project to fix up and paint the house requires that I do something everyday to have any hope of getting it all done by the fall. Time. I have a full time job. I simply must do my daily walking. I need my sleep. I still do the family cooking and grocery shopping. My days are full. I just got weary of trying to track everything I ate. I need a break from it.

Counting carbs is another matter. I can do that with relative ease. So for now I will return to the way I did it when I started this WOE. I will strive to keep carbs < 35 net each day and stick to OP food for the rest of the summer. That is the new plan for now. When the house projects are done, I will reevaluate. I do value these challenges. I still do have some bad habits and tendencies that need attention.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Jul-05-17 at 08:58.
  #1050   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 04:55

BF:
Default day 28

thanks for the update Ken. I appreciate how you are adjusting to changes in the environment. I still count carbs and that was one of my "90" challenges back when I started doing these time segments. My desire to use up my carb count to the number I specified turned out to be the challenge I used to eat a salad for a snack to use up the 25 ha!

I still count carbs but have removed a "restrict to x" number that, at first, was "~25" - In fact I still have that listed as my plan. I don't think I've consumed more than 50 Net Carbs in a day (knowingly) since starting almost 2 years ago. My ketone meter starts to tell me that isn't long term sustainable yet if I want to keep "above" a certain slightly random number I've come up with on the meter, namely, 55.

Here's where I've been tracking my carbs...

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Enjoy your new 90 practice session!

=====

Sitting last night before dinner and bed and after an extremely long paddleFoil and kiteFoil session with my buddy. My mind continued to race back to the past to enjoy those experiences negating what I was experiencing at the moment of sitting, which was not as pleasant as the past. This is how mind can work, this is how mind has a habit of not being still, enjoying, or at least accepting, what is going on right now.

I also watched an itchy nose arise, change and go away -- all by itself during the sitting. "I" love to interfere and fix it with a scratch. Why do that if it goes away on it's own. Why help something that doesn't need help? Hopefully these are good questions
Closed Thread