Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 23:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

shameless bump!! for all the newbies!!!

I celebrated 1 yr at my goal weight on 12/18/06...yayyy!!!

118 lbs gone and never forgotten!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 00:02
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Great thread here.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 00:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Congrats Judy!!!

Me, I'm now a wee bit over 3 years into LC and have lost 100 pounds and for the most part kept it off from about a year now. I do yo yo and right now am up about 15 pounds due to recent weakness, but am back on track and shooting for my goal weight which I have yet to hit....
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 00:04

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

My wife and I discussed it and I'm starting back on low carb right now. This thread has been an inspiration for that.

That and the fact that I've gone without a lot of protein the last couple of days and it's about killing me has pushed me back on the LC road.

100 pounds to go. 200 pounds long term.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 00:49
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 16:13

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

I have lost 110 pounds and been maintaining now for over a year. The fist year I lost seventy pounds, thirty pounds the next and ten the nex. I have had two stalls which each lasted about six months each.

I am 52 years old and have never maintained a weight loss before in my life.

The stalls have not bothered me because when I made the decision this was a way of life and not a diet it was not longer a race. Slow and steady wins out over fast and furious every time.

I would still like to drop another ten pounds or so. Fixated on the fact that I still weigh more than the doctors charts say I should for my height of 5'6".

However, when I look around at all the fifty something women I know, I look better than most, and I look good and feel attractive for the first time in my life. Other times when I lost weight I did not feel attractive and the weight loss never lasted.

Having a positive self esteem, and doing this for me, and only me has made much of the difference.

I just want all those with 100 plus pounds to lose to know that if I could lose 100+ pounds at the age of 50+ then you can too! It all starts with attitude, and belief in yourself and doing it for yourself, not to get someone else to approve of you.

Do it for yourself, not your mother, not some significant other/spouse, not your doctor. Do it for yourself.

Take it one day at a time. Take it one pound at a time. Accept the fact that this is for life, and you just have to get through one meal at a time.
If you make a mistake, then don't beat yourself up about it. You can get back on track with the next meal.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. Feel free to check my gallery if you would like to see how 100+ pounds of weight loss can change your life. I have had people ask me if my before picture was really me. Well it was, and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN.

This forum is a wonderful support network for people at all phases of this plan, the beginning, ongoing, and after. I love the support from those like me who have accomplished much. I love the inspiration I can provide to those just starting out. I enjoy motivating those in the middle to keep going in spite of the stall, they will break through if they hang in there.

God bless you all.
Karen
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 23:40

Stats: 410/298.0/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:BF 40%, BMI 43
Progress: 47%

I am so psyched and impressed by all of you TREMENDOUS WINNERS (not losers)!!! Losing so much weight is a tremendous accomplishment, but keeping it off over the long run is just SO amazing and what I want for me too. You all look SO GREAT in your gallery image pictures (before/during/after) - and thanks for sharing them as I am SO MOTIVATED to see the tremendous change and difference in each of you!!! Hoping for the same thing for myself.

I lost 100 lbs in the past (while in my 30's - I am now in my 40's), through NutriSystem (50lbs) and mostly salads and some Healthy Choice TV Dinners for the next 50. BUT I WAS ALWAYS HUNGRY (sometimes painfully so) and I got to working out 2-3 hours a day - weight training and cardio, running miles each day. Something that was not really SUSTAINABLE when you get caught up in your REAL LIFE (marriage, work, kids, etc). OK, I know some who do it, but it is really hard over the long haul, and most don't. Since I have been LCing (only since October) it I am not so awful hungry and feel better and better as I lose weight without a tremendous obligation to work myself into the ground.

I especially love the way my blood sugar is so stable and comfortable since I started. I used to get so jittery when my body needed some sugar fix and then so sleepy tired after I ate a big meal. Then getting dizzy or light headed sometimes. All that is gone!! I feel great! I took my blood sugar with my wifes meter and it has been 90 and at the most 130. No huge spikes and dropouts and insulin surges, etc. I feel so much better!! It is probably what I like most about this way of eating, even more than the weight loss.

I know as I go I will eventually work out some more than I am doing now (pretty much nothing). I have some serious circulatory problems in my legs thanks to a doctor giving me a prescriptive combination of 5 drugs you cannot/should never take together without bad things happening to you (at progressively higher doses). I got nagged and scared into seeing him over blood pressure (too high) and then he wanted to chemically prescribe my way into good health with statins (including Baycol and others), Niacin, and other drugs. My wife finally found the problem after multiple doctors didn't (including super-duper doctors at Vanderbilt) online on drug interaction web sites and I stopped the drugs and dropped the "doctor" I was seeing. Anyhow - that precludes any of the heavy walking and running I did in the past - at least for now. I can't without my calves and ankles swelling up terribly.

My decision to start this was based in part in meeting several different people who were successful with LC life. One fellow I worked with did great and lost alot. I met a doctor who I bragged to that I once lost a hundred pounds and kept it off for two years straight (then gained over the years and bloated up to the ~400 lbs I reached). He told me that HE had kept over a hundred pounds off for TEN YEARS! I asked him how and he said - no potatoes, no bread, no pasta, just meat and vegies mostly. No sweets and no deserts. No cokes. I was so impressed by that. Then when my brother called to say he'd lost ~80 lbs on an Atkins LC diet - I HAD to try.

Then one of my good lifelong friends who had gotten as big or bigger than I and did the stomach surgery route. He was so awfully miserable for so long, and can now still barely eat much at all - without getting sick (and he has to be super careful what he eats). But has had huge weight loss - but was practically suicidal & depressed for the first six months with awful misery.

That was it. I had to learn this low carb way of eating and see if I too could keep it off over the long haul just like that doctor did and avoid what I saw my friend go through.

You all are wonderful examples. I am so proud of those that have already lost the weight, and then have stuck with it afterwards - which is the whole deal, right?!!??

I am also so impressed by those who frequent the forums and help others even AFTER they themselves have already lost the weight they needed to lose. That is so great!!! I love seeing what an Ongoing Maintenance life is like, and how you can help others like this!

Highest Regards to you Weight Loss Champions!!!

Last edited by ndurance1 : Sun, Jan-07-07 at 21:01.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 22:08

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
This is going to sound corny, but this forum. I belong here now, I've got friends, it's home. I have such good friends, I would post here even if I was off plan. The thing is, it's tougher to stay off plan when you are here everyday talking with people that are working their plan. It keeps me focused. I can't forget how important it is to lose weight or maintain my loss when I read about the pain others are going through or read about the joy someone feels in exercising or fitting into a new size pant.

There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time to create the opportunity for success. I've really found this for myself. I've had times this past year where I was making bad food choices and could easily have returned to my old ways. However, I kept posting here because of the community of friends I have, and being here, I couldn't ignore what damage I was doing to myself. It made it much easier to get back on track.

Val

i dont want to give a backhanded complmnet but ur fater picture looks so mcuh younger then ur before picture. ur georgous
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 08:15

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Val, I think the previous poster means that you look great in your "after" picture, not your "fater" picture . And you do!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 06:51

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Val, I think the previous poster means that you look great in your "after" picture, not your "fater" picture . And you do!

yes that what i meant thank you
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 22:04

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskllsws
I have lost 110 pounds and been maintaining now for over a year. The fist year I lost seventy pounds, thirty pounds the next and ten the nex. I have had two stalls which each lasted about six months each.

I am 52 years old and have never maintained a weight loss before in my life.

The stalls have not bothered me because when I made the decision this was a way of life and not a diet it was not longer a race. Slow and steady wins out over fast and furious every time.

I would still like to drop another ten pounds or so. Fixated on the fact that I still weigh more than the doctors charts say I should for my height of 5'6".

However, when I look around at all the fifty something women I know, I look better than most, and I look good and feel attractive for the first time in my life. Other times when I lost weight I did not feel attractive and the weight loss never lasted.

Having a positive self esteem, and doing this for me, and only me has made much of the difference.

I just want all those with 100 plus pounds to lose to know that if I could lose 100+ pounds at the age of 50+ then you can too! It all starts with attitude, and belief in yourself and doing it for yourself, not to get someone else to approve of you.

Do it for yourself, not your mother, not some significant other/spouse, not your doctor. Do it for yourself.

Take it one day at a time. Take it one pound at a time. Accept the fact that this is for life, and you just have to get through one meal at a time.
If you make a mistake, then don't beat yourself up about it. You can get back on track with the next meal.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. Feel free to check my gallery if you would like to see how 100+ pounds of weight loss can change your life. I have had people ask me if my before picture was really me. Well it was, and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN.

This forum is a wonderful support network for people at all phases of this plan, the beginning, ongoing, and after. I love the support from those like me who have accomplished much. I love the inspiration I can provide to those just starting out. I enjoy motivating those in the middle to keep going in spite of the stall, they will break through if they hang in there.

God bless you all.
Karen

YOU GO KAREN! We are the same age I agree with everything you said, and this is for life. You look fantastic!!! I hope you can keep me motivated, I need all the support I can get..LOL, I've lost almost 100 pounds since May but I know keeping it off is going to be tough for me. It's like you said, one day at a time and one meal at a time.

I want to lose about 30 more pounds, and I will. I've just got to get my mind set NOT to go back to my old habits.... the pepsi, the ice cream, cookies, etc. It's so easy to fall back into the old eating habits, I just have to keep telling myself I've come so far and that I can't go back...ever!

You have done so good, and you do look great!!!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 08:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Surfing the thread just looking for some inspiration this morning. Congratulations to all the 100+ lb losers. These are great real life stories.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 08:42
Registered Member

Stats: 359.6/341.6/259.6 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 18%

sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but its a great read
  #89   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 09:55

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Thanks! I never saw it before. I can't wait to get done with work here so I can sit and read it!

Congratulations to everyone!!
  #90   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 10:07
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Well I am now at 105lbs loss, after 3 years being LC, and starting at over 300lbs.

Some may say I have lost very slowly - even I think I am a turtle when it comes to losing weight, but I couldn't care less how long it's taken - it's gone, and if I had never started 3 years ago, who knows where I would be at now!!

I have learnt so much since going LC, that I joke I could be a nutritionist, but it has actually crossed my mind to train to become one! I know more about food now and how it reacts to the body than I know about anything else! I am sure all my real life friends think I'm a real bore!

My journey started in March '04 when I started out on Atkins, then after losing 50lbs and then beng stuck for months on end (being stuck for over 6 months can be a real pain) I changed over to South Beach. Since the change I have lost another 55lbs (the past few weeks have been on a detox)

If you put your heart and soul into losing the weight then you will, but I think you have to WANT it enough. I knew I didn't want to be 300lbs, just the same as I know I never want to see that number on the scale ever again, and that's what keeps me on track.