Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 10:07
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Southbel!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 11:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/275/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had lost a whole bunch of weight, I was down to a size 10. Then my thyroid quit, so I quit. Now I'm up to 260 and a size 22! I could just die. I hate myself. I have to do something. As soon as grocery time comes around again I'm going back on Atkins. I know that to stick I need to vary my foods, 'cause I got board. But you were talking about 111 pounds in 1 year? That would put me at 149 pounds! When I was happiest with my body I was a size 6-8. So basically if I did this for one year I could get to 149, that is like 9 pounds a month? The doc wants me at 135-140. I could do that in around 11/2 years adding in plateau times.

I'm just going crazy the way I am. I walked around a school carnival for 3 hours and thought I was gonna fall over! THAT is sad. I used to be the one that RAN the carnivals.

Everyone is telling me to exercise, but I was on bed rest for over 1 month this winter with pneumonia and other things. I have no muscle left to start with. I know that it has to begin with diet alone till I shed enough that I am ABLE to exercise.

Please help me keep this in focus you all. It seems so far away.

I want it though! Thanks for bumping this thread. Can we keep it kinda bumped?

Thanks for the inspiration!
Gogeyi
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 12:10
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Gogej, I lost 96 pounds in my first year with no exercise.
You need to think of this in terms of a way of eating for the rest of your life. Then, so what if you only lose 50 pounds instead of 100 in a year. Won't you be happy to be 50 pounds thinner?

Good luck to you, you can do it!
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 12:47

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I, too, have lost all my weight without exercise. I wish I could, actually, but hopefully I'll get there.

I agree Prof Gumby, the tweaking and pinching at the plans tends to derail a lot of people.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
I agree Prof Gumby, the tweaking and pinching at the plans tends to derail a lot of people.
I'd put a slightly different spin on this because I agree with the statement that tweaking can get you into trouble. I tweaked Atkins until it was nearly Protein Power LifePlan. Then I read PPLP and switched. I follow the rules of that plan.

My statement would be if you feel the need to do tweaking you should investigate other plans. There are 3 Atkins plans, two Protein Power plans, one South Beach plan with an update to SB coming within a year or so from what I've read, and other plans. The trick is finding a plan that works for you and following it.

Some people, like Judy, talk about tweaking plans but what Judy talks about really is figuring out when the rules of the plan allow you to make choices that don't work for you then figuring out how to make better choices. Her plan allows her to eat grains early on, but she found out that was a killer for her and she warns other people about making that choice because she's seen where it also caused problems for others. That, to me, is smart tweaking, but rarely what people are talking about.
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 16:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
Some people, like Judy, talk about tweaking plans but what Judy talks about really is figuring out when the rules of the plan allow you to make choices that don't work for you then figuring out how to make better choices. Her plan allows her to eat grains early on, but she found out that was a killer for her and she warns other people about making that choice because she's seen where it also caused problems for others. That, to me, is smart tweaking, but rarely what people are talking about.

Thanks Liz!!
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 20:30
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Gogeyi, I'll chime in as another who lost most of my weight without exercise. I lost 100 lbs in a year, and hardly exercised at all. Exercise helps, but it's not mandatory to lose weight. Just do what you can.

You can lose weight, there are so many of us here that prove it can happen and all you need to do is follow one of the many great low-carb diet plans to get there.

Don't give up on yourself. It's possible.
  #158   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 02:17

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I'm trying to exercise but don't get it in regularly. It does give me a litte bit more energy.... congrats again to all!
  #159   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 304/235/175 Female 5'4"
BF:O/M/G
Progress: 53%

Gogeyi - take a deep breath!

Yes, it is possible to lose 100 pounds in a year. Many of us have done it. But what's more important is to adopt this as a WOE, something you're going to do (on one level or another) for good. This isn't a race, it's your life.

I also don't want you to set up unrealistic expectations for yourself and then quit. Certainly early on, you'll lose quickly. But as you approach goal, things will most likely slow down. I lost 100 in 11 months, but I had much more to lose than you do. Now I'm still 50 pounds from goal and losing very slowly, but I don't let it get to me. I'm eating well, I feel great, and I've made huge strides in improving my health.

There will be stalls and bumps in the road. But my best advice to you would be to keep your faith in your LC program and be patient. There's big payoff by eating this way - just stick with it! There are many successful lowcarbers on this board and they'll all help you. I can't encourage you enough to come back here often to get support.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 14:53
Creating a new Me!

Stats: 300/252.0/170 Female 63 1/2 in
BF:TOO **** HIGH
Progress: 37%

Just bumping up this great thread for encouragement.

If you've lost 100 lbs and haven't told your story....Please DO

Mercy
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 07:17

Stats: 339/306.5/150 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thank you all so much for posting your stories and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am grateful for your inspiration.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 11:06
Attitude is a Choice

bump
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-08, 07:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 350/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:350+ highest wt
Progress: 175%

I have lost a total of about 195 lbs so far. I began somewhere around 350+ and lost the first 30 by cutting out snacks at night and Coke. I started gaining back some of that weight and decided I really needed to get serious and start really taking care of myself and my body once and for all. On 10-2-06 I began low carb and lost 100 in 6 months. I didn't do anything extreme--no meat and eggs or fat fasts--just good ole low carb and portion control. I ate at least 2000 calories per day and upped my carbs whenever my weight loss seemed to be slowing down. The next 6 months I lost 50 lbs. I ran into some medical problems that both physically and emotionally slowed down the loss, but none the less I stuck to it. During the next 6 months I lost 15 lbs. Some of that was the weight loss naturally slowing down, some of it was me reacting to some kind of internal battle about actually becoming a normal size--which led to some not so healthy eating. In the last month or two I have been perfectly on plan and am slowly back to losing again. I continue to eat about 2000 calories a day so it's going to take awhile to get the lbs off--but one thing I told myself I would not do is anything extreme or anything that would compromise my ability to maintain (like messing up my metabolism which I have certainly done in the past). I did not do any formal exercise during most of my weight loss. I became much more active--taking little walks when I get a break at work, taking the stairs instead of the elevator and just basically getting out there and living a fairly active life. I have gone through spurts of more serious walking and/or jogging with bits of other cardio or resistance exercises thrown in--however I have never really stuck with them. This month I have made it a goal to exercise 30 minutes 5x per week and so far I have met that goal. I try not to tie exercise and healthy eating together, as I think they are actually very different things that serve different purposes and people who tie them together typically stop one as soon as they stop the other. With exercise I have tried to make sure whatever I do it is something I can do for life. My whole focus this time losing weight has been different--I have really had my mind focused on how to stay at a healthy normal weight rather than how to get there. Surprisingly it has resulted in an overall faster weight loss--which was just a bonus. I really think that taking care of your body and figuring out how to nourish it for life is the most important thing--the weight loss will naturally come if you do that. I am still learning how to do this--but I've never claimed to be more than a work in progress!
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-08, 08:27
Attitude is a Choice

Bravo t.jane!! Great story!!

Congrats on your fabulous successes!!!

Love the part about your exercising....and your food.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-08, 08:29
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

T.Jane, congratulations on your tremendous success, and thanks for sharing your story!