Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/350/150 Female 5ft 6inches
BF:
Progress:
Default New to low carb and need advice

Hi my name is Jamie. I'm pretty new to doing low carb. I should start out by saying I weigh 350lbs and been over weight since I was a kid. I have diabetes and high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I want to lose weight to improve my health. I've also started walking every day. I've gotten to the point I never get full. I started atkins yesterday. I'm having a really hard time staying under 20 grams of net carbs a day. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. I'm getting my carbs from veggies and noticed there are carbs in things I eat like polish sausage. Can anyone give me pointers on filling meals that stay at the 20 grams net carbs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 03:24

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Jamie lyn4, welcome to the forum, congrats on making this first BIG step...good for you, and also congrats on walking, it is a wonderful activity and as you get fit you will enjoy it even more. As for the 20NC a day, you probably would be good to start on the 40 NC plan, just saying, 20NC would suit someone that did not have a considerable amount to lose. You do not want to be hungry, and bored, you need lots of choices, you can tweek the plan as you approach goal, but for now, take this one day at a time, it is a learning experience and not a race. We have all been there done that...we are here to support and cheer you on.
I suggest that you keep track of EVERYTHING that you eat, there is a place here on this forum called MY PLAN where you can record your food intake, and also carbs and fat & protein. I use the Meal Tracker on the Atkins website, it is user friendly and I need all the help I can get, I'm a computer idiot...lol
And a lot of us have our own journals, it is a safe place to write down feelings, vent, complain, celebrate, and get to know other members, I encourage you to start your own. Looking forward to getting to know you, best of luck to you,

Have a positive day, stop by my Journal sometime, I love company, ttys
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Jamie Lynne
We're happy you found this forum, there is so much good advice going back many years organized by topic. Look all around, there is a huge recipe section, lots of good information on your health conditions and especially in the dIabetes forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45. (If you are on meds...read the advice in sticky at top!)
Same if you are on BP meds. Learn more about cholesterol in that forum.

There are special sub-forums for Buddy groups to help you, including one with tips for those who have a long weight loss journey. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49
As zoogirl mentioned, some work into the lowest carb level slowly. You can read back through recent threads in these forums to find advice. Others are more jump in feet first to 20g...a level where most everyone becomes a fat-burner after the glycogen stores are used up. Here is a good beginners guide to the Keto Diet (which is what a 20g Atkins Diet is) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto with tips on handling side effects, recipes, etc.

I used the Duke Lifestyle clinic Diet which distilled the Atkins clinic plan down to very simple rules. Eat from the food list and measure a few limited foods, and you will be at 20g. No need to track "macros". https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf
On the list of permitted foods beef was the most filling for me. Make a fatty chuck roast in a slow cooker. Or burgers, try them topped with an egg. "Meatzza" skillet pizza...cover bottom of skillet with ground beef, flip, put on some tomato sauce, veggies, olives, sausage, a little cheese, cover pan until all cooked through. Crackslaw! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Ms3AHVoM8 Bake chicken with the skin on. Have hard boiled eggs always available if still hungry. If it is on the list, you can eat it until you are full. You do have to be careful with processed meats and check labels for added sugar, corn syrup, dextrose. Italian sausage at one store has 6g carbs, at another store none. Is there a real butcher/farmer left in your town who makes sausage without sugar or corn syrup? Sugar free sausage is hard to find, can be ordered on-line or some people make their own.

You can eat until you are full, add fats if your protein is lean, don’t count calories, but do cut out all sugar and starch.
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-11-18 at 05:40.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 03:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/350/150 Female 5ft 6inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice everyone I will try the suggestions
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 20:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

YOu are likely to get more satisfaction by heading to less processed foods. Skip the sausage for now---until you find online recipes to make your own WITHOUT sugar.

Eat pure meats. No bbreading, no seasonings unless you put them on and know the content of the seasoning, ie no sugar.

Eat low carb vegies. You mentioned the big carb items but there are others to skip at this time during induction. Like all root vegetables.

I use scallions instead of onions.

Brocalli and brussels sprouts, not yams.
Green beans and arugala, not apples.

You would greatly benefit from buying the book. Far more in there than most people realize. I have 3-4 copies. A wealth of information.

Counting the carbs is important to sucess, after the two weeks at 20 a day, the amount boosts up one level. THen you can add a bit more but the counting and maximum level is still very important.

Welcome to the best site in the world. Lots of longer timers here who have helped me over the years and will help you too.

THis is a process. DOnt quit.