Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diabetes Revolutio
Stats: 205/173/150 Female 12
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Hello

Hi, I'm Jane. I started Atkins 4 weeks ago and was doing okay until a week ago when my premenstrual cravings grabbed me by the throat and kicked my butt. At first it was a bagel here, a bagel there, a few days of compliance, but then this weekend I just caved in completely. I had a lot of carbs just to ease the cravings and get some energy and now I've accepted the fact that I'll just need to start over once my period is done.

I tried the official Atkins forums but they were not helpful so I started looking around and find this site.

I've been reading the original Atkins book from 1972 and a line from it struck me. He said, the goal is not to have the weight loss be rapid, but to have it be easy. And that felt very comforting to me because he acknowledged that there will be a learning process and that it's natural to have some starts and stops along the way. I believe my pms cravings were a result of not eating enough fat and protein, and being low on vitamin B because no matter what I ate, the cravings were there... until I ate a lot of ribs! Like a lot. It was only then that the feelings went away. I've started taking a multivitamin and supplementing my vitamin B even though I'm now off-program. I'm also going to eat more ribs today. Progress not perfection, right? And no self-flagellation!

No more beating myself up for falling off the wagon. Instead, viewing this as a learning experience. I hope this site, and the community in it, will be a positive and supportive place to continue this learning and growing. I will do my best to contribute and provide support as well.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 14:45
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Hello Jane X! Welcome to the forum. It may be a little quiet around here from time to time, but you found a great place for information, support, and logging your journey. I wish you all the best in reaching your goals.

About energy... Make sure you are getting enough salt. The first week or two was the toughest for me. But once you get switched over from running on carbs to running on fat you should find that yourself with loads of energy and without the highs and lows that you had burning glucose as your main fuel. I have consistent energy all day -- no AM or PM crashes to endure.

About cravings... I don't get PMS, but I had plenty of cravings for the first month or two. We have a strong psychological tie to our old favorite foods -- many of which are not on plan in a low carb diet. Don't cheat. Resist the cravings and eventually they will fade away.

Again, welcome. Stay strong and before long you will be on your way to goal.