Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Free Tests?

Is there anywhere I can get my tests done other than my doctor's office for a reasonable price? Will the county health dept. do them? I'm in North Carolina.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 21:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Under the ACA your annual physical is free. Why not get it done then?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 14:55

Plan: 20% Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Actually, only people with incomes ABOVE the poverty level receive subsidies through the ACA, so that's not helpful for everybody.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 15:00
Experimenter

BF:

I'm scritchin' my head over that one. If one is at or under the poverty rate then there's health coverage through medicare. If you're over the poverty rate, but still lowish income, there are subsidies. In some states, the medicare coverage goes to 133% of the poverty rate.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 15:14

Plan: 20% Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's a political disaster. The ACA assumes that states will provide medicare for people below the poverty level, but the supreme court said the federal government couldn't force states to expand medicare. (Not taking sides, just stating facts.) 23 states decided not to expand medicare. So people below the poverty level have to pay full price for healthcare, whereas if they made a little more, healthcare would be almost completely covered.

I wish more people knew about this issue. If you don't believe me (and it is unbelievable): http://www.khou.com/news/health/227803231.html
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-14, 09:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not free, but DirectLabs offers tests for lower prices and has monthly specials. Service is excellent, uses LabCorp for blood draws and testing, same as doctors. In the past, have entered a study at UNC on diet which included some tests free.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-18-14 at 09:26.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-14, 10:24

Stats: 390/231/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfishy
people below the poverty level have to pay full price for healthcare, whereas if they made a little more, healthcare would be almost completely covered.

Yes, in my state, Idaho, if I make $11,500 a year I can get insurance for $27 a month. If I make $11,499 I have to pay $406 a month. It was assumed that states wouldn't opt out, since the lion's share of the funding comes from the feds (for the first three years %100 of the funding comes from the feds, and %90 thereafter). States that do this are essentially subsidizing other states' medical costs, so it amounts to cutting off the nose to spite the face. Ideology trumps economics.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 15:26
Experimenter

BF:

Are you sure about that, Matlock? There are Federal gov. subsidies that go up to 400% (I think) of the poverty level. Something like 50,000-60,000 you still get a small subsidy. Depends on how many in your family, of course.

I live in CA and the ACA has definitely lowered prices here. I get it through my employer, but if I didn't I would be paying easily $100 less, for a premium plan, than what I had available via COBRA many years ago. I was pretty impressed. And that was without being eligible for any subsidy.

Quote:
This tool illustrates health insurance premiums and subsidies for people purchasing insurance on their own in new health insurance exchanges (or “Marketplaces”) created by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Beginning in October 2013, middle-income people under age 65, who are not eligible for coverage through their employer, Medicaid, or Medicare, can apply for tax credit subsidies available through state-based exchanges. Additionally, states have the option to expand their Medicaid programs to cover all people making up to 138% of the federal poverty level (which is about $33,000 for a family of four). In states that opt out of expanding Medicaid, some people making below this amount will still be eligible for Medicaid, some will be eligible for subsidized coverage through Marketplaces, and others will not be eligible for subsidies. With this calculator, you can enter different income levels, ages, and family sizes to get an estimate of your eligibility for subsidies and how much you could spend on health insurance. As premiums and eligibility requirements may vary, contact your state’s Medicaid office or exchange with enrollment questions. The Foundation encourages other organizations to feature the calculator on their websites using the embed instructions.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Best thing to do is go to healthcare.gov and see what you qualify for, if your state doesn't have it's own exchange.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 17:28

Stats: 390/231/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Are you sure about that, Matlock?

Absolutely. This is not a feature of the law, btw, it's a hole the supreme court punched in the law. States rights and all. 25 states have opted out of the expansion, which means that in those state the lowest income people, incomes below $11,500, get no assistance whatsoever.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 13:37

Plan: Low Carb High Fat (LCHF)
Stats: 268/242/160 Female 5' 8-1/2"
BF:too much
Progress: 24%

You might want to ask your healthcare provider. I mentioned to my doctor that the blood tests were way too expensive for me as my insurance only covers a small portion (yes, even for a physical and even under the "Affordable" Care Act). Anyway, he told me about a local pharmacy that runs some tests for very affordable prices, like $43 for a whole basic panel. They came on certain days of the week or month to the pharmacy, and then deliver the results to either you or both you and your doctor. I am in Illinois and it was based here, but maybe there are similar labs that do this in other states.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 07:58

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

My local grocery store (Hy-Vee) also offers the basic lipid panel for not too much. Of course, you have to listen to the in-house dietician spout the party line over your results.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock
Absolutely. This is not a feature of the law, btw, it's a hole the supreme court punched in the law. States rights and all. 25 states have opted out of the expansion, which means that in those state the lowest income people, incomes below $11,500, get no assistance whatsoever.

Time to vote out the morons in those states