Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 21:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/140/115
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy hi, i'm new...kinda unsure

Hey, I am new to the website. I tried low carb eating (no specific diet) about a year and a half ago and lost 20 lbs. Well I gained it back and am planning on starting Atkins on Monday the 9th(I have a wedding on the 7th and want to wait till after it to start induction) Any suggestions for a 1st time atkins dieter from you experienced atkins dieters?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 21:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi babydoc, welcome to our forum

Having followed a lowcarb program previously, I'm sure you have a basic idea of how it works. My recommendation is to get your hands on Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (1999) and follow the Induction to the letter as outlined in the book. Choose real food - meats, fats, salads and lowcarb veggies. Drink lots of water. Take a daily mulitvitamin and mineral supplement. Avoid the lowcarb snack bars and treats, lowcarb desserts etc until after the Induction period ... except for sugar-free Jello.

The Protein Power Lifeplan, by the Drs. Eades (2000) is excellent for explaining the physiology and chemistry behind lowcarbing, nutrition and health issues. Their program is a bit different from Atkins, allowing somewhat higher carbs, but specific recommendations for protein intake, and spreading the carbs evenly through the day. You may not choose to follow their program, but the book is very informative and thorough.

Check out the articles in our Tips column, just click on the red menu bar at the top of the page. Look for Lowcarb Basics and Frequently Asked Questions, as well as the others which may answer some of your questions. These articles should get you started, and you'll find a list of other worthwhile books to read, and links to informative websites.

Keep us posted .. and enjoy the wedding..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 22:12

BF:
Progress:
Default thanks for replying so soon!

THanks for replying so soon! I have been trying to do my old LC diet for 2 weeks, not a specific plan, just watching my carb grams. Well, after 2 weeks of strict 30 gms/day I had only lost 4-5 lbs, and that would fluctuate by 3-4 lbs, not the success I had previously. So on Saturday, I bought the "new revolution" atkins book and a low carb cookbook that is wonderful. It has 3 levels, kinda like the three levels of atkins.
Like I said I have been loosing weight for this wedding on Saturday and after being off for 2 days, I have gained the weight back mostly. So, I will forget wishing that I were thin for this wedding, (my boyfriend's friends are getting married no less-no pressure there), and I am starting fresh when I get back on sunday.
I am in medical school and my boyfriend (also in medical school) thinks atkins is crazy and very unhealthy, he doesn't understand me complaining that I am fat and then having sugar free jello with real whipped cream. He just thinks I should exercise more if I want to lose weight. (He's a man, weight just falls off him). So I am trying to not listen to him tell me it is unhealthy. Oh Well. I hope to hear from more supporters soon! I am planning to visit every day till school starts again!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 22:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Baby Doc,
I haven't read Atkins, so I don't know what kind of background information is in there. I have the regular Protein Power book, and it does a very good job of explaining why the low-carb works from a MEDICAL viewpoint. Could hep in explaining to your boyfriend. Good luck! Look forward to seeing your progress,
Jeanette
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 02:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi babydoc,

Welcome to the forum!

Excercise is great for boosting your metabolism, but it has to be in conjunction with developing eating habits that are right for you.

Congratulations for buying DANDR. Induction is the best way to catapult yourself into this new way-of-eating.

Because everyone does this a bit differently, I suggest not fooling around with anything sweet or LC substitutes until you have a few months of successful low-carbing behind you.

I always find it amusing when I am out eating with a group of people and the topic comes to diet/lifestyle. I sit there smugly with my big plate of salad and chicken, then some fresh berries with whipping cream while they trash low-carb eating.

Meanwhile, they are scarfing back french fries cooked in bad fat, white bread and dessert. They can't help but notice how "healthy" my food choice looks. Some may even look guilty when they look back to their plate of carbo-crap.

It's sometimes hard to fly in the face of what is perceived as "normal" and "healthy", especially when it comes to family. Just nod your head and smile like you've heard some really good gossip about them!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 13:17

BF:
Progress:
Question should I start now anyway?

I was not planning on starting atkins until after the wedding I am going to on Saturday because I didn't want to work hard for a week and then blow it. What should I do this week? should I do low carb without much fat because I will be eating bad and probably drinking on saturday, maybe a lot of veggies and not a lot of fatty meats and stuff. What if I did fish and chicken and veggies for the week and then do atkins on sunday? do you think that is the best plan? I really want to get started...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 14:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Go ahead and start now! Give it all you've got! If you plan to take a 'vacation' Saturday, fine, enjoy it! Then get right back on track, and start again. After being on this way of eating for a week, you'll be a lot less likely to over-indulge on Saturday, because the cravings will be gone. So, go for it!!
Jeanette