Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Does anyone else experience strange weight loss related cyclical hunger?

Right after a bout of fat loss (weight might not change much, but usually does, however inches are always lost) I notice I get a lot hungrier and lose control with food some. My eyes will be bigger than my stomach, I can eat a lot of calories and still be thinking about food after, etc. It is a scary out of control feeling.

This post-weight loss hunger lasts for a few days.

Then after feeding my new unnaturally high hunger for awhile, everything returns to normal. Sometimes my appetite is even less than normal. You feel like you are eating an incredible amount of calories because you are so full -- and high fat meals positively stuff you (even if they are modest-sized) -- but in reality you aren't eating that much.

I just went through quite a bad bout of the first "ravenous" stage (I posted about it a few days ago), but now I am going through the second stage where I just feel uncomfortably stuffed on even a small 300 calorie meal.

I notice as I reach goal these cycles get worse. With each bit more fat I lose, the follow up "hunger" stage is more intense. Every time the hunger stage abates, the satiety stage feels that much more satiating (I suspect this one isn't changing, but it just feels like I am more stuffed in relation to how I felt before).

Does anyone notice this hunger/satiety cycle when they lose? It wasn't that noticeable when I was heavier, but like I said as I get closer to goal it is very noticeable. With each bit I lose it gets more and more noticeable. I do think it has a lot to do with dwindling leptin levels. As I lose more fat, leptin levels decrease, which brings on the hunger. After feeding myself past what I really need for a few days (per my bodies request), this raises leptin a bit, making the hunger abate, bringing back normal satiety feelings. However, the normal satiety feelings actually feel more intense, because I am just coming off a leptin-related hunger jag (the more intense the jag, the more intensely satisfied I will feel when it goes away).

This is just a theory, but it is the only way I can explain this inexplainable cyclical hunger. I just ate a meal less than 300 calories -- if this were one week ago, it would have taken 3xs as much to make me FEEL as stuffed as I feel right now. Very, very strange.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 14:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:30
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

This happens to me, but mine is usually just prior to or during a "whoosh." Sometime I think it's not so much hunger as it just is a mental thing — like I want to eat everything in sight and never seem to feel full.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:36
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

What you say makes a lot of sense, and I have definitely been experiencing that lately. My weight loss is slower now, but when it happens, I always get that crazy hunger and cravings again. It only started happening when I'd lost about 40 lbs. Before that I stuck to Induction levels and the cravings were under control.

It could be leptin as you say. I was also rereading portions of Atkins for Life last night. He says this is something you must learn to deal with - that the cravings and hunger WILL come back when you go through OWL and start adding carbs. The idea being that you will have developed some tools to deal with them. Sad, but true I fear.

I also have noticed that I am getting more marked PMS-type symptoms when I ovulate now, i.e. the hunger, moodiness, cravings, etc. I know this is common for some women, but new to me in the last 2-3 months. Before, I couldn't have told you, from physical signs, when I ovulated, but now I definitely know, without having to count days.

All in all, LC has just made me a lot more in tune with my body and mindful of my eating. Some of this is great, and some of it is a PITA!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:37

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

actually, i've def had that hunger feeling, right after a whoosh....its weird, isn't it? And a bit scary-- yours sounds worse though as does the feeling of fullness (make sure not to drop below 1200 cal!) Maybe you are making the situation worse by not eating enough even when u feel full-- for instance, u could be propelling your body into "survival mode" where it thinks its starving, so when u finally have a semi-large meal, it wants to pack in as much as possible and so you go into a ravenou stage? Just a theory....what do u think?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:39

BF:

if anyone's got any advice on how to control yourself during the hunger periods, i def want to know! The thing is, I get really hungry and crave food--not carbs like what i believe atkins is referring too, but just general everyday low carb food.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

My husband and I both experience this, ironically not at the same time. I thought it was just us, haven't seen anyone else post about this. My feeling has always been, when you're hungry eat, so this is what I do during these periods, but I do try to eat higher fat things to help somewhat.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:21

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

UInfortunately, I sold my psychology book, but there was a weightloss segment in it. There is a phenomenon where the body realizes that it is about to lose weight. For survival purposes the body will signal the brain to believe that it is hungry, to prevent weightloss. So, hunger, like this, is a sign of things to come. I don't remember the name of htis phenomenon.

Black57
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 20:26

BF:

aha!-- that's really interesting black 57....i wonder if the overeating then does really prevent weight loss, i mean our bodies are fairly effecient...and i wonder what the best method is to get around this little side dilemna, lol
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 20:54

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustycat
aha!-- that's really interesting black 57....i wonder if the overeating then does really prevent weight loss, i mean our bodies are fairly effecient...and i wonder what the best method is to get around this little side dilemna, lol

Bob Greene, Oprah's trainer says to not feed the hunger. But on this site I did read that it is better to just eat. My theory is that it if you are going to eat, have a high protein/fat snack ( not a meal unless it is meal time ) like cottage cheese, macadamia nuts or eggs.I enjoy a hard boiled egg that has been sliced and Ken's Creamy Ceasar dressing drizzled on the eggs. I don't think that it would be a good time to eat a low carb bar or shake. Just eat enough to curb the appetite and if hunger returns feed it with another high protein/fat snack. That way you won't overeat.

If you decide not to eat then you probably should do a physical activity like going for a walk to give your matabolism a revving and to get your mind off of your tummy.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 06:30
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%

This happens to me too but I have never seen it posted before. However, I have not lost any weight since before the holidays. I have not gained tho. As far as inches, well I think I have lost some still but not as fast as before. There are just days that I am hungry! Most days I have not been, just eating according to the clock but once in a while I will be at work and say "I am hungry today, what is that about?" I just stick to high protein LC foods for snacks and do not change any of my eating habits. It just feels "odd" to me to feel hungry when I usually never do. I hope it is a sign that I am losing something, if not the weight!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:34
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Yes, it used to happen to me before every significant weight loss.

No cravings, just pure wolf-like hunger. At the time I still did fitday I could easily take in 3000 calories and still lose. I always fed that hunger because we are not supposed to starve on this WOE.......and it worked. My choices were always protein and fat dense foods......

So I'd say - feed the hunger with the right foods.

Alina
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:45
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

It's like my body is telling me to eat. Before I would try to resist. Now I don't resist and then I eat and I lose.

red
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:51
Registered Member

Stats: 185.5/170.5/145 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 37%

In Dr. Atkins book "The Atkins Essentials" on page 278 there is a question: "I thought I wasn't supposed to be hungry when I do Atkins, but I am. What gives?" Dr. Atkins replies: "If you're hungry, eat! If you're starving, you should have eaten 30 minutes ago. Just as overeating can cause your body to resist weight loss, so can eating too little, which slows down your metabolism. Eat adequate amounts of food and eat regularly. Also, be sure to eat enough fat (the natural kinds, like olive oil, fatty fish and avocado); foods containg fat and protein are the most satiating. Not eating enough fat will also interfere with your body's ability to burn its own fat for energy." Hope this helps you out.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:59

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I DEFINITELY notice this, but just realized the connection this past week. I lost 2 lbs, then 4 days later another 1lb then a few days later another 2lbs--then I wanted to eat anything that wasn't nailed down!!! All LC, tho. But, craving some non-lc food more than I did before but I think that's more stress-related than from the weightloss. I just fed the hunger but felt like I shouldn't be (old diet mentality). I increased my water, too. My appetite is now feeling back to normal (LC normal )
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:09

BF:

but i dunno-- i went through a period of intense weight loss (like dropped 6 pounds in 1.5 weeks, non-induction too) and then had intense hunger, fed the hunger with all low carb foods, and gained 4 lb back....sure it was a net loss of 2 lb in 2.5 weeks (which is good since i was close to my goal weight) but i still would have liked to be the 4 lb lighter! any thoughts?