Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:32

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Bicycling..

Anyone use a bike?? I am hopefully getting one today or tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

YES! There are a few of us lurking around, the type of cycling being optional. We have started a lowcarb cycling group which can be references in member CarbsBeGon's journal -

Good Luck with your Ride-

Allez!

sen

Oh shoot, one other thought - you are in the heart of the best riding country in the US, domestic home to Lance Armstrong and several of the Posties If that isn't inspiring, what is? Lots of group rides near you, too!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Northern California has to be the cycling capital of the world. We have so many great sponsored bike rides here every single weekend!! And so many great bicycles are made here, too!

Jeff, a Low Carb Century Rider,

J.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:38

Um, sheesh Jeff, I wasn't trying to tweek your nose there, LOL! I actually come every September, ride into San Fran for the Grand Prix from the hotel I stay with in Burlingame (renamed the T-Mobile Intl last year) and then ride the next day up along the ridge above the bay (can't remember that route name, is it La Flinta or La Canada or something like that?), then one day around the western half of the bay, and one day in Sacramento out the American River Route, and finally drive down to S Cal and ride down the PCH from Carlsbad, so I can't bash California cycling. And since I've ridden an Allez for the last two years, with a Roubaix on Layaway and a Tarmac as my dreambike, I can't knock Cal bikes either Peace! Peace!

sen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i have thought about getting a bike. i thought about a mountain bike so i can ride it on the farm and put a thing on the back so my 3 yr old will get to ride too. i have to wait until my doctor says i can do it safely. sue
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 22:35

You're my kind of guy, Sen,

I try to do 20 centuries a year. Often my wife and/or one and/or both of my kids come with me. When one or any combination of them come with me, I usually end up shortening the ride to a quarter-century or half-metric, but it's still great to share the ride with family!

Have you ever done the "America's Most Beautiful Century" around Lake Tahoe? I'll be riding it in June and then again in September. My in-laws have a cabin just a half-mile from the route.

I would love to meet up with you on a ride, sometime.

J
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 23:21

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I am a fairly new cyclist and LOVING IT! I started riding last year when my track cyclist brother urged me to get back on the bike after a many-year hiatus. I'm going to aim to try a century next year. Right now I'm just working on my fitness and enjoying the fresh air.

I'd love to talk to other low-carb cyclists on here, since I'm fairly new to both cycling and low-carbing.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm an avid cyclist too. I'm training for Cycle Oregon and just completed Reach the Beach here in Oregon. As my distance has steadily increased I've learned more and more about what's needed to fuel my body and keep me going. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment when you get out and ride harder, further, and faster than you ever have before.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/155/145 Female 5'5 feet
BF:30.1%
Progress: 81%
Default Question

I live in Waco, TX for school right now and I hear we have one of the best outdoor mountain/trail routes in the country. We just had a large tourn. here a few weeks ago and I was thinking about getting into some form of cycling, however, all I have is an old mountain bike. Is there some kind of bike that I could look into to get a little of both worlds? I am looking for something to ride in the city and country with. I am heading to Chicago this summer as well as to my home in Colorado and I want to get a new bike that would fit in with both terrains. Any ideas? Any help is great, thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:58

Karen and Teardrop - can we lure you over to the dark side? There are a couple of lowcarb cyclists also in eastern PA, Karen, and we're going to get together to ride two weekends or so from now, I believe. And Teardrop, consider doing at least part of our west coast ride with us Sept 2005, as we'll be passing along the coast east of you and it is really going to be a blast

Jeff, I haven't ever had that ride on my radar screen. I do know that when I drove the bikes out to the SFGP last year, I took US 50 from Utah to Reno, and was shocked to find cyclists out there on that incredibly long, lonely and destitute but beautiful stretch of highway. Because that one goes over 100 miles with no place for water or food I gave up a couple of liters of my Desani. I also ride with my daughter, who is training both to race and to do our Six-gaps ride which falls after the SFGP - http://www.porcupinews.com/sixgapcentury.html

so I completely understant riding with your kids. Hopefully, for your sake, your kids can't completely kick your bu++ like mine does

Soon I do hope we have a link for us lowcarb cyclists. I'll post it here as soon as we do-

Allez Y'all -

sen

Oh shoot, Ann, I didn't catch your post until I had finished this one, but if I can let me suggest, if your old MTB is a decent, hardtail frame, that instead of spending on a new bike right away, you consider buying some decent, lightweight wheels (maybe along the lines of something like this? - http://www.performancebike.com/shop...le.cfm?SKU=6234) and put a thinner-than what you would normally run, and smoother, tire on them, and that way you could have both worlds at your disposal? You could do some road riding and some MTB'ing. No matter what any store tells you, hybrids and comfort bikes really don't give you the best of both worlds, too big and chunky for road and too crappy on the suspension for MTB'ing. If you want to do both your best bet is to keep or get ahold of a decent hardtail MTB frame and have an extra set of wheels and tires for road rides. Hope that isn't too confusing and that it gives some help? If not give me a holler in my journal?

Last edited by senrides : Tue, May-18-04 at 12:06.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:08

Ann,

I have to agree with Sen, that most hybrids are the worst of both worlds. I had an old Royce Union mountain bike when I starting cycling and I went out and bought some light-weight alluminum wheels and thinner road tires. I would switch the wheels around for road rides and mountain rides.

That said, there is one fairly decent hybrid that I bought for my wife. If you are doing mostly road riding and some very mild mountain biking, there is one that is a pretty good bargin at only $399:

The Marin: San Rafael.

Key point here is very light mountain biking, like staying on fire roads. My wife rides centuries with me and does just fine on her San Rafael. She prefers the feel of the mountain bike and the softness of the suspension.

Jeff
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 23:58

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Of course you can lure me to the darkside I love, love, love cycling. I'm afraid you better riders would get bored really fast trying to ride at my snail pace. I just did a 13 MPH ride for an hour yesterday and I felt so great - but most of the group rides around here are at a 15 MPH pace, so I have a long way to go yet. Gosh, I am way slower when towing the trailer.

We have some great local trails near here but one big problem - my son's trailer won't fit through the gates they installed to keep out ATVs, so 99.9% of the time we are riding on the road.

Senrides, that's so neat - you will be in my area? I am right at the foot of the Poconos in eastern PA (about 1 hr from the Lehigh Valley Velodrome). My 9 year old is doing an intro to track cycling class at the velodrome right now and he loves it!

I have no clue what to eat on a longer ride, I'm still pretty new to low-carbing. Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

It is really, really great seeing everyone here!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 00:01
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

My DH and I are back into biking after many years. I got a hybrid bike (pics in my gallery or post 813 on page 55 of my journal) and I'm really happy with it. It's very light, has shocks and all that stuff, and it's really comfortable to ride.

I do both street riding and some trail riding. I've been happy with the performance on the trails - granted I'm not doing any super technical mountain biking. Just singletrack and graded gravel, some roots and small drops, etc.

We do that on the weekends, and during the week, hit the bike routes around the city.

My bike is a Norco - can't remember the model name - I will try to find out. When I was biking 10 years ago, I had a Cannondale mb but it was never comfortable for city riding. I'm happy with the compromise.

Biking is great! Feels like fun, instead of exercise. Even better if you can find some trails or old roads out of the city. Though that said, we've also had fun discovering neighbourhoods we didn't know about around town.

I'm really pleased about how it's helping me get these chunky legs in shape and burn off these last few pounds.

Woohoo!

Last edited by Kaillean : Wed, May-19-04 at 00:17.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 00:08
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Karen,

On most rides around the city, I find I'm good with my regular LC fare. Sometimes I hit the hills and do some high intensity stuff, in which case I've found I perform better with a snack before hand. I find an apple, some melon, or a few tbsp of peanut butter do the trick.

I do this when we go trail riding, too. While a protein type snack in advance was great for endurance - I could long for a long time happily -- I didn't have the get up and go when confronted with hills right off the bat, etc.

Again, I'm still experimenting, but am finding a little bit carbier snack (mostly fruit at this point) of around 20 g helps. Midway through a long ride, I might also eat a few nuts.

I'm no expert, still figuring it all out myself. I'll be interested in everyone's input.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:46

Hey All-

I have to be real careful to make sure when I give an opinion, that I do it in a way that makes clear it is only an opinion

That said, I want to explain that in the last two and a half years I have shelled out in excess of $6,000 on bikes and equipment, for my daughter and myself, and it's about to get worse. (As my daughter prepares to get into road racing) Of that amount, I consider I wasted nearly $3,000 or more of it. Almost straight down the drain because of products being 'grown out of' (and not in the child sense, but in the skill sense) too soon, or being deficient. It's because of this that I have strong opinions and voice them, but I also realize they are often mine alone. (Sadly, so Sadly )

So, the reason most anyone on a road bike or good mountain bike cautions against investing in a hybrid is because of weight and comfort for the long haul. The thing about this incredibly addictive sport is that once you are hooked, that's it, you won't go backwards - only forward. So a rider that thinks a hybrid that weighs in at 30 pounds is light and comfortable might not think so when their skill and fitness level improves to the point where they are consistently riding a minimum of 20 miles at a time. Same thing goes for my earlier comments on buying bikes at Walmart and such. Sure, they work for a jaunt around the park or a spin through the neighborhood, but those components are simply not designed to last the way, say, the Shimano 105 components on my current bike went over 4,500 miles of hard riding before the first of them needed to be replaced - that being the shifters.

I have given away first two Sears bikes just a month after buying them (Sears was still selling bikes up until a couple of years ago, which is when we started riding - oh, wait, perhaps there is something strange about their discontinuing selling bikes when we started riding? YIKES!) followed by a Trek 700 and a Trek 7200 from our next round, and even now we have a Specialized Sirrus for sale (too much money into it to give that one away, but even so it's going for $.35 for every dollar we paid for it - more loss!)

I am sharing all of this because cycling clearly represents a lifestyle change of enormity and I hope that just one of my opinions might help some other aspiring rider not to waste as much money as I did. Riding five miles today will quickly turn into your first half or entire century if you ride regularly. Also, one of the real benefits of cycling is that it is VERY social, if you want it to be.

There are group rides in every corner of the country and they DO NOT require an invitation. Karen is right in thinking the socially-paced rides will usually require that a cyclist be able to maintain a 14-15 mph average speed for 20 to 40 miles, but you simply cannot imagine all of the new people that cycling will bring into your life this way or how soon you will be ready to do this. Some stores, even the famous Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson, TX, (largest store in the US and where Lance Armstrong began his career,) host beginner rides to help you get to the point where you are ready for larger, quicker rides. Sure, anyone can get on a bike and ride and get tremendous benefit from it and sometimes just the solitary act of spinning my heart out alone and with no distractions is highly satisfying, but don't brush aside the possibility of social rides as well because of the fun and companionship they will afford you.

Absolutely no one needs to spend as much as I foolishly did. I know cyclists that do every group ride for miles around on bikes that were ten times more affordable than mine, because they were careful and bought used, etc etc. Guess that makes me the biggest fool in the universe and for everyone else's sake, I hope no one feels the need to challenge me on that !

Allez Y'all - I'll shut up now

sen

Last edited by senrides : Wed, May-19-04 at 10:53.