Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%
Default ketosis=dark urine?

i remember reading in atkins book (92 version) that if the urine is dark then your in ketosis...well, my urine was dark until today..and maybe other days it may be dark but once or twice it isn't...if someone is in ketosis is it always dark? does that mean i'm not in it anymore? i've been wondering if i may have fallen out of it by hitting 30 carbs daily here and there. it's my TOM this week so my weight hasn't changed AT ALL, 2 weeks now. this happened last month where there was no weight change for 2 weeks during the pms time but the following week i caught up to lose my 15 pounds a month goal....if any one has suggestions or ideas on this subject i'll gladly appreciate it...
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 21:37
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I dont know about dark urine. My urine is never dark because I drink large amounts of water and I am certainly in ketosis. Darker urine, from what I understand, is a sign of dehydration. Perhaps you are thinking of a darker reading on a ketone strip?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 21:45

no, i never have used the strips. i do remember reading that there are two ways of telling if your in ketosis if you don't use the strips, one was the color of urine and the other was the low carb 'bad breath'..i drink 80 oz of water a day, sometimes only 60-70 so i don't think i'm dehydrated...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 01:41
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

The color of the urine will vary throughout the day. Usually it's darker when you first get up in the morning, because it's more concentrated. The more frequently you go during the day, the paler the urine will be (as long as you continue to drink plenty of water), because the urine will be more dilute.

Regardless, the color of urine varies from individual to individual, too. Some people simply have darker urine than others.

This is the way a doctor explained it to me. The subject of ketosis didn't come up, because I had not yet started my low-carb wol. I'm not on Dr. Atkins' plan, so I don't know what he says about the subject. If the book for whatever plan you're following addresses the subject, I suggest you go by that.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 05:50
Registered Member

Plan: unsure
Stats: 178/178/139 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default tiny bubbles

This may sound silly and I don't even really know how describe it but... First, my urine is never dark but I drink huge amounts of water. Huge. However, since doing LC and being in ketosis, I have noticed that there are tiny bubbles in my urine. Sort of like if you put some oil in water. So, even though I have never heard or read anyone else mention this, I tell myself that it is just me losing weight in my pee. Maybe it is just a little game I am playing for motivation but it makes me smile.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 08:14

forty the same thing with mine...i know this is sooo gross, but i just passed it off as weight loss as well...im glad you wrote that lol...i did worry thinking,,uh i hope that is not proteins in the urine like the naysayers say how the low carb way of life drops proteins into the kidneys...i'll be lying if that worry didn't pop into my head everytime.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 09:02

Plan: ketosis
Stats: 202/195/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have found that the darker my urine the darker the strip reading. I don't think this actually translates into more weight loss just more concentrated, like Kisal said. One thing I've noticed lately is when I'm fighting a cold I have very dark urine even though I'm drinking an absurd amt. of water. I also think it's more important to drink a lot of water than to have the high ketone reading. I know I'm in ketosis when I taste copper and that's good enough for me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 10:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can't quite tell from your description about "bubbles" but there is a condition that is described as "foamy urine" where your kidneys are excreting protein. It is a pretty serious indication there's something wrong with your kidneys and you should see a doctor about it.

A couple of times I've seen foam in the toilet after peeing, but I figured out someone left toilet bowl cleaner in there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

A couple of times I've seen foam in the toilet after peeing, but I figured out someone left toilet bowl cleaner in there.

thanks for the laugh

it's never been foamy thank god even with toilet bowl cleaner in it
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 16:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The color of your urine really doesn't indicate anything other than the concentration of it; lighter being less concentrated and darker being more concentrated. Ketones are colorless and so would have no impact whatsoever on the color of a person's urine.
Bright yellow urine can occur as the result of B-vitamin supplements.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
The color of your urine really doesn't indicate anything other than the concentration of it; lighter being less concentrated and darker being more concentrated. Ketones are colorless and so would have no impact whatsoever on the color of a person's urine.
Bright yellow urine can occur as the result of B-vitamin supplements.

Very dark (brown ) colored urine can be also a sign of hepatitis, along with jundice and pale poop.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urine-color/AN00868
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 09:50
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Brown urine can mean myoglobinuria. Unlikely as it mostly happens to extreme athletes; Severe exertion plus dehydration leads to damaged muscle tissue. The muscle leaks myoglobin which is a small enough protein that it gets through the kidney's filtering action.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 10:01

Plan: Keto
Stats: 200/190/170 Male 5.8"
BF:
Progress:

I have been doing spinning class 3-4 times a week. I sweat a great deal (aprox 1litre) of salty sweat. I have been adding pink salt to my drinking water to replace the lost electrolytes which has helped in recovery but my urine is quite dark and there is a slight burn. Don't want to assume its myoglobin so where can I find some more info because I do not want to go to the doctor as most are clueless on anything related nutrition/exercise/getting to the root of a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 11:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Have you, or anyone you know, commented on any change of hue of your skin or eyes recently?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 12:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This sounds like the sort of thing a doctor wouldn't be all that clueless about, a simple urine test, likely not a big deal, but worth the peace of mind.