Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 00:29

Plan: Schwarzbein principle
Stats: 153/153/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Do any of you combine Schwarzbein with other LC plans? I need some help...

I'm new to LC WOE and still trying to build my eating plan. I follow CAD, but lately I think I've started to abuse the reward meal. I'm interested in trying the Schwarzbein. Does anyone ever tried to combine it with another plan, like Atkins? I don't have lots of weight to loose (less than 20 lbs) and I'm afraid Schwarzbein alone won't do it for me. Do you have any suggestions, meal plan examlpes etc?
Another thing... What is your typical daily menue on Schwarzbein?
I'll appreciate your help!

Tiggie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 06:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Hello, Tiggie.

I was doing Atkins, then I switched to Schwarzbein because I was impressed by her case for balance at each meal. She is less restrictive on carbs and stresses that each meal should have something from the four groups: carbs, protein, fat, and nonstarchy veggies. Her chapter on ibalancing nsulin and glucagon makes a lot of sense to me. Here's a typical day's menu for me:

Breakfast:
Vegetable juice (V-8)
strawberries, 1/2 cup
blueberries, 1/2 cup
(or a slice of cantaloupe)
natural peanut butter on a ricecake
1 egg (some days)
coffee

Lunch:
Sliced roast beef or turkey or can of sardines
salad with olive oil and vinegar
1/2 avocado
half a nectarine or whole plum
rice cake or one slice of whole wheat bread

Dinner:
Chicken, beef, pork, or fish
salad with olive oil and vinegar
small amount of brown rice or whole wheat bread
fruit (nectarine, plum, berries, etc.)

Snacks:
Plum and almonds (or walnuts) or
Piece of mozarella cheese or
peanut butter on rice cake or
Cream cheese on celery

I'm losing two pounds a week on this, which suits me fine.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Sheldon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 06:33

Plan: Schwarzbein principle
Stats: 153/153/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks for the info!

It is very usefull. I'll give this plan a try next week.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 13:32

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up SP is great!

Hi Tiggie!

I've been on SP since February and lost 33 pounds. I had a 2 month stall where I lost nothing and didn't lose many inches either, but I stuck with it and it started coming off again.

SP's focus is healing the body, the weight loss is secondary. If you want to lose weight FAST, you will most likely have to cthe carbs way down.

We've all learned to modify our chosen plans to suit our own bodies' needs. I, for one, do not usually eat the strachy carbs at breakfast and lunch, and have 15-45 grams carbs at dinner during normal days, or at a lunch meal on Saturdays, my treat day, I often eat a lot more carbs.

I make sure that I complete my meals within one hour, something I took from when I was on CAD years ago (which worked for a while but NEVER curbed the cravings b/c I was STILL EATING CRAP, just once a day), so that my body doesn't release that second dose of insulin and start storing fat, especially when I am on my treat day (usually at a Mexican restaurant, I have those terribly bad for me chips that I love!).

The carbs you consume are based on the size of your stomach (insulin resistance) and your activity level.

A typical food day for me looks like this:
BREAKFAST
2-3 scrambled eggs w/butter and cream, sweet peppers and cream cheese.
Herbal or caffeine free tea with whip cream.

LUNCH
Huge piece of salmon, topped with a sauce of mayo, capers, rosemary, garlic, lemon or mustard, paprika.
Asparagus or antoher cooked veggie or salad.

Sometimes I have a snack or two, but usually not.
SNACK
Can be stuffed celery with nut butter/marscarpone or cream cheese blended to cut carbs, or some cheese sticks and berries, etc. Always protein.

DINNER
Roasted chicken with gorgonzola cream sauce, or tbone steak or bacon cheeseburgers, etc.
Salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, olives, peppers, homemade roquefort dressing, etc.
Dessert of homemade whole cream ice cream or whipped cream with fresh berries and nuts (usually cashews).

So that's a typical day for me. I work at home, so I am able to easily take the time to cook. Plus, I am also blessed that my hubby is on the plan with me for life. He's at 197 and has lost 31 pounds I believe. He needs to lose about 10 more, he's very muscular and only has a tiny bit of fat (insulin resistance ) on his tummy and that's it. Good for him!

Hope this visual presentation helps. I know I certain am enjoying taking pictures of everything I eat and posting them in my own journal! Everyone thinks I'm nuts taking the pics of food all the time now.

Best wishes to you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 13:44

Wow! That looks good. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm hungry.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 07:29

Default Menu change

For the record, my menu is slightly different now from the one I posted above. I have a ricecake or piece of ww bread very seldom. Most of my carbs come from a regular but modest amount of fruit. And I rarely have rice or other starch or grain with dinner. I like how this is working.

We each have to find our own level of carb tolerance. It's trial and error and continual tweaking. There's no way around that.

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:14

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

For my meals this is what it usually is like at least this time of year with all of the veggies out of the garden.

breakfast
eggs (for my family usually scrambled with cream, it makes eggs puff up), and I make a 6 grain cereal that I can manage to eat, oatmeal is like glue to me. When I have it I will also have 1/2 a grapefruit. I work out in the morning usually and have a hard time getting in the midmorning snack so that gets me to lunch okay and i eat that early.

lunch, usually lunch deli meat like turkey, or I will have tuna or salmon or any left over meat from dinner if we have it. Sometime cottage cheese. Tomatoes, or salad or both, what ever I bring in from the garden at this point. I will have a peach or berries with cream for my carb.

snack will be sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nut butter on celery, or nuts. Something simple at this point.

dinner last night I backed chicken with herbs de province, and olive oil, winter squash with butter(somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 cup.) and tomatoes, salad(hearts of romaine, red cabbage) and homemade salad dressing.(I make my own flavored vinegars)

I was hungry before bed so I had a snack of about 1tbs hummus, and 4 greek olives, and celery. I should have had some protein but I wasn't sure what I wanted.

I also only drink water, very rarely we will have v8 juice, but that is only once every couple of months. I would rather spend my carbs on high fiber complex foods.
Tanya
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:15

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I have written in other posts about how I have started to count calories along with using the information from TSP and it has been helping me lose the last of my goal (s-l-o-w-l-y but surely?) Of course that means limiting some things , and using portion control, but I have not found that to be a bad thing. It is much easier to control calories while using the guidelines from TSP due to eating whole foods than when counting calories and not paying attention to quaility of foods consumed.

I think on any plan the last 10-20 lbs. are very tedious to shed and one has a tendency to say -- oh well -- that is all right it is just 10 or so lbs. but then I think of how heavy carrying say a couple of 5 lb sacks of flour (whole wheat of course) can be in a grocery sack. So I try to remind myself to stick with it for my body's sake, to give it a lighter load!

I read a lot of 'diet' books (use the library) and think a lot of helpful info can be gleaned from many. I kind of follow the part in CAD about the evening meal as far as including a 'dessert' (within TSP) and trying to consume it all within an hour -- then in my mind I 'close up shop' in the kitchen and rarely snack or eat anymore in the evening. This seems to work for me (I read this hint in Denise Austin's book) and I wake up with a healthy appetite for a TSP breakfast.

Betty, great photos!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 15:38

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 151/147/130
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hey, Tiggie!

I can SOOOO relate to abusing the reward meal in CAD, and switched to the SP. I kind of combine the two, in a weird way, I guess, but it seems to be working. (4lbs, three weeks..I need to lose about 20). I try to keep my total carb count for the day at about 100-150 grams, with the bulk of them at dinner. That seems like a lot, but compared to what I used to eat it's not much, and I am losing weight!
For example today, I had an egg mixed with shredded zucchini and parmesan cheese and cooked like a pancake (yum!) and a rye crisp bread (6 grams) for breakfast. In a rush a crisp bread with peanut butter will do me.
Snack (I work in a middle school library..it's hard to get to the kitchen to heat stuff up) I have celery and peanut butter, or a V8 and string cheese. Lunch is a big salad..I've gotten very creative with salads and have a different one every day. I'm not always hungry again before dinner. I REALLY try to obey my signals of hunger and fullness. For dinner, I have whatever I fix the family. But I limit carbs to just ONE slice of bread...and a small serving of rice or potatoes. More meat and lots of veggies. Maybe a piece of fruit. I don't do seconds unless I am hungry.
We often eat out on weekends, that's when I do CAD and just go low on carbs all day, till we go out and the restaurant meal is my reward meal. It's good because I can't keep going to the fridge to see what else I can stuff my face with before and hour is up! BUT, I eat what I want! We seldom get dessert, but if there's time I plan for a small treat when we get home. Funny thing is, by the time I'm home the craving for the sweet may be gone. One of the perks of eating low carb.
Didn't mean to write a novel, but I hope it helped. I'm still kind of new to this, so I am still experimenting. I don't think I could do the real Atkins thing. Extreme low carb makes me tired and cranky.
Good luck,
T
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 19:52

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I am doing a mix of TSP and the insulin resistance diet. I have between 15 to 30 carbs per meal, avoid processed stuff as much as possible, don't eat more carbs within 2 hours after having a meal and take various supplements.

So far I am delighted at my weight loss and love that I don't ever have to be hungry.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 13:42

Plan: Schwarzbein/Zone
Stats: 105/105/105
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation only vegs for carbs?

How do you do it? Whenever I eat a meal without any 'real' carbs (grains, etc), I get nauseous! A little bit will do it for me, but I figured out on Schwarzbein I can eat more than 30 g per meal (using the chart she has in the book), altho I don't always eat that much. Is this nausea normal?

I'm new here and I really find these discussions great - especially all of the menu suggestions!

Marnie