Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:19

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

Piano:

Anywhere from 15-30 carbs per meal 3 times a day and 7 1/2 to 15 per snack twice a day....depends on activity level and weight.

It has a chart...I will look it up more clearly and post in journal...it will be later this weekend as the book is at my folks....I need look through again anyway due to low levels of sleep...can't remember if that's too many carbs or not enough....always seeking more answers

Have a good day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Thank you Drama, I would really like to know. I am currently 169 pounds, 5' 5", exercise regularly. I would also like to know what she says about sleep in book I. I am finally getting 6 hours uninterrupted sleep and can't wait until it is 7 to 8 hours. I may get book I some day, then I could use it to lone out to friends.

Piano
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:52
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tig:

Nice to meet you and all the other Beiners out there!

Quote:
Wanda, I still have really shaky episodes sometimes late afternoon/early evening and have always suspected hypoglecemia. My doctor does not seem to get too worked up about it when I mention symptoms to her. I think I am insulin sensitive (testing showed OK)/adrenal gland burnout. I was really intrigued by your comment regarding how hypoglecemia is related to adrenal glands. I would love to get more info from you about this matter! I have not had comprehensive adrenal gland testing although my morning cortisol was WNL. I am attempting to finally get more sleep (~6-7 hrs) and know this WOE is really helping. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

OK, this book addiction of mine is getting out of control b/c I can hardly remember where I've read things anymore. I'm pretty certain that Dr. S. talks about this in SPII, but I'll have to find the time to go back through it and find it for you.

I just finished reading a book about leptins which is a newly discovered (1994) major hormone that actually regulates the 3 major hormones that Dr. S. talks about so it discusses cortisol, adrenaline and insulin. I might have read it in there too.

Here's some other stuff I found on the internet for you until I can look up Dr. S's stuff. It's all basically about these major hormones being in balance and when one of them is out of balance (either too high or too low), blood sugars can become unstable.

http://www.newtreatments.org/hypo.php
http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_d...nal_fatigue.cfm
http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp
http://www.drrind.com

Enjoy! Tell me what you think. I'll get back to you after I go through the highlighted parts of my book that I can reference.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 14:15
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Piano:

I've got a scan of the guidelines you're looking for. I hope this works.

---edit---
obviously, it didn't work - what did I do wrong? I linked my file in the "attach file" box below, but nothing.

--edit--
OK, I can't do this. The file is too large. I'm too lazy to type it all out. Oh screw it! Here it is. Enjoy!

Slightly overweight with Insulin-Meter:
Sedentary - 15 gram meals with 7.5-15 gram snacks
Somewhat Active - 15-30 gram meals with 0-15 gram snacks
Active - 30 gram meals with 0-15 gram snacks
Extremely Active - 45-60 gram meals with 0-7.5 gram snacks

Overweight with Excessive Insulin-Meter:
Sedentary - 15 gram meals with 7.5 gram snacks
Somewhat Active - 15 gram meals with 7.5-15 gram snacks
Active - 15-30 gram meals with 0-15 gram snacks
Extremely Active - 30-45 gram meals with 0-15 gram snacks

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, May-09-03 at 15:36.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:27

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

I've only read the first book. My library didn't have the second one. I'd have to buy it. I've bought so many books lately, and I really shouldn't buy more! LOL! But I'll think about it, since some of you have given it the thumbs up.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Wanda, Thanks so much for that information. I copied it and printed it out so I can keep it. That is great. That would put me eating slightly fewer carbs then she would recommend using in the second book for my body type. Interesting. I think I will use the fewer carbs and see what happens.

Happy healthy eating.

Piano
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:50

Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%
Talking Thanks, Wanda

Wanda,

Thanks loads for the links to adrenal exhaustion information. I was thinking my main problem was estrogen dominance but now am seeing that this, along with the hypoglecemia/hair loss/etc, is just ANOTHER manifestation of adrenal burnout. I am going to an endocrinologist soon and see if my suspicions are correct. I've pretty well run out of reasons for my fatigue, etc., so I'm banking on this being the cause. You never cease to amaze me with your overwhelming vast knowledge of low carb, Etc, Etc. Keep the info coming and thanks again!

Tig
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:14
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Tig:

Hopefully it's a not-so-conventional Endocrinologist since they don't generally diagnose adrenal burnout. Did you get the cortisol saliva testing done? That's supposed to be the most accurate way of testing for adrenal burnout.

If not, charting your temperature would even tell you something. There's info about charting temps on Dr. Rind's site.

HTH,
Wanda
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:22

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

I saw an endocrinologist today. It was not a total failure but I think that he thought I was full of you-know-what. I asked about adrenal burnout, especially since I used to take ECA on a regular basis. He didn't think that I would have adrenal burnout from that; he felt that the adrenal glands were very resilient. I mentioned TSP and Dr. Schwarzbein...and he gave me this funny little smirk, saying that she was an "interesting individual" (didn't elaborate on that). He didn't have any problem with the info in TSP, but I got the feeling that he wasn't terribly impressed. He felt that LC dieting was basically only useful for people with hyperinsulemia or diabetes. I took "Thyroid Power" along with me to show him some things, and he checked out the authors' bios. His response: "Oh, they're holistic people." So he's a very by-the-book guy--not what I was hoping for.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:36

Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%
Hi Wanda!

I'm not sure if the endocrinologist is conventional or not. I have a friend who was at her wits end with a thyroid problem that other doctors had told her was all in her head. This doctor that she went to finally addressed the problem and she finally got the relief that she needed. I'm hoping he's not-so-conventional then. I have had morning cortisol saliva testing done and it was WNLs. I am printing off the temp. graphing info that you told me about--I already do basal temps for Natural Family Planning purposes but this looks a little different. Again, Thanks A Bunch

Tig
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:19

Stats: 210/181/132 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Count me as a SBII. I could really realte to those symptom descriptions. And I appreciated the extra information.
Donna
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:18

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have only read SPII. I had some testing and felt I was on the right track. I still have sporatic times when I feel yucky. Not sure if it is something I am doing wrong in my eating or if it is just part of the IS/BOAG issues. I also found out that I had not taken my meds for 2 days. I felt aweful and could not figure out why. So in not taking HRT, Thyroid, and anti-depressants that probably is the reason in a big way.

Today is better, not great but better. I am glad that there is more conversation on here lately. I really think we need to connect and reach out more. Take care...all of you.

Marianne
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:04

Plan: maintenance
Stats: 145/125/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:

Back in Sept '03 I went on SPII for burnt out adrenals for one month. I felt awful. The carbs were too high, I got cravings and gained. Turns out my adrenals are not so bad but I am insulin resistant. So I went back to SP I and felt fine. I still follow her vitamin recommendations and plan to indefinitely. So guess I am a SP I type since I really couldn't make heads or tails out of SP II.

This all really makes me crazy. MIL is in the hospital with diabetes, high bp and all the other ills that comes from following a low-fat weight loss diet. Why isn't mainstream medicine following SP when it works so beautifully? I am not into conspiracy theories but man, this stinks.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 10:00
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

I'm SPII. Not as strict as I was in the beginning and have slid off track several times and put a few LB's back on Trying to get myself straightened back out. Learned a hard lesson this week; ate lunch on the fly with too many carbs and little protein, drank too much coffee that morning and by mid afternoon the tinyest little thing threw me into a screaming rage. It was like a different person was standing there. The next day I was very conscious of what I ate and had an even mood throughout the day. I follow the IS/HA program with 30-40g carb at 3 meals and a snack midafternoon. I don't eat wheat (only rice & oats, I have an allergy) so my carbs are starchy veggies & fruit. Coffee and icecream are my weaknesses. There is no IC in the house right now for which I'm greatful and I keep 1/2 caff and decaff in the house. I don't add sugar to anything. But sometimes if something is premade and has it in it I just try to get something that doesn't have a lot.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 11:38

Stats: 134/133.5/124 Female 61.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Adrenals

How can you tell if you have burnt out adrenals? I am on the Schwarzbein Plan from the first book. I no I am insulin sensitive but I don't know any symtoms of the adrenals.

I was thinking of buying the second book but I thought maybe I would just wait for the new one to be released. Not many people seem to be on this plan and it seems like the best choice if you want to be healthy.

Has anyone used her website for testing both metabolic or menopause. I was thinking of trying the menopause test since I am starting bio-identcal hormones.