Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Substitute for spagehti

Spagehti Marrow/squash - Anyone have any info on this ? I have heard that when cooked it makes a agreat sub for spag so you can have a spag bol.???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:20

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 281/231/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Spaghetti squash

Hi,
Spaghetti squash is a substitute for pasta. Atkins says 1/2 cup is 5 G carbohydrate and 3.9 G digestible carbs. So it is not exactly low carb, but is when you compare it to spaghetti. It is not always easy to find, the supply seems a bit intermittent. The greengrocers say it is seasonal but can't tell me when the season is! I generally cook up some bacon,mushrooms and maybe onion and celery and then mix with the cooked squash. I don't tolerate too much tomato based sauces but I found a Leggo's stir through sauce called Ricotta and Spinach with Pecorino cheese. It has 4.2 G total carbs per 100G with 2.7G sugars. So it is a good occassional meal with not too high carbs,

cheers Lyn.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bron,

Here's another thread devoted to spaghetti squash: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...paghetti+squash

Cheers.

Roz
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 22:17

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey bron, small low carb world hey?

you can peel up a zucchini, fry it quickly in a little butter and pour spag bol sauce over it for a spaghetti feel...it does the trick

sam
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 22:45

Stats: 244/224/175 Female 5'3 1/2
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya all......a GREAT substitute for pasta is.....a zesty meat sauce made with fresh herbs and garlic, chopped sirloin of course, drained well, red pepper flakes to taste, and put that over whole green beans! I have eaten this even during induction, making sure not to over do the carbs with the tomato sauce. I usually get the pureed Italian style cans, which are perfect! I make the meat sauce for my family, and I can actually make pasta for them, and not eat it! Hooray for me! I am motivated that this will do it for me....truly! good luck all!

Kelly
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 23:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Sambalam - I reccon all the help you can get from informed people is good!!!
Funny how so many vegies can be used as substituted. Beans mmm that would be a real blend of tastes Kelly, Sounds like you and I started about the same time so keep in touch and we can bounce (getting less bouncy as we go) off each other...!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:58

Stats: 244/224/175 Female 5'3 1/2
BF:
Progress: 29%

Ok, my Australian Friend! Yes, I think we did start about the same time. How's it been going for ya? Any challenges? I went shopping last evening, to a store we have in the Great Lakes Area, called Meijer. I went at 10 pm, after kids were all in bed, BIG list in my purse, and walked down every aisle, looking for bargains. It is a produce, grocery, and everything rolled- into- one store! They are open 24 hrs, so the late night shopping is convienient sometimes for me. (OF COURSE, I am always SAFE!) During college, it was the BEST place late at night, after a pub crawl! The joke I always made when I first moved here about Meijer, was that you could walk in, buy a melon, tires for your car, coveralls, high heels, fishing poles, a CD, diapers and flowers! Do you have anything like that your way?

I was able to get almost everything on the list, with the exception of a few item I always get from Costco. I am going to make a few recipes I have seen posted here, so I'll let you know how they turn out!

I will say, that for me, and having 3 kids, with a constant flow of their friends through the house, (and many stay for dinner!) keeping the things they like on hand is ok, as long as I have taken the time to prepare MY things! Do you have any children/married/pets? We also have a yellow lab, male (N) named Finny (Finnegan).

Well, I have to go and run after them......I will hear from you soon?

Have a GREAT DAY!

Kelly
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:25

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%
Default spagetti squash

I cook up the squash and add bacon bits (real, of course) pepper and some parmesan cheese (the real stuff of course- not that crap in a can).This is so yummy! I have been doing this forever- and now I know it is okay on LC! Or just butter, pepper and parm cheese. It will be hard not to eat a whole squash!
Spagetti squash is in the same season as pumpkins, acorn and other "winter" squash (winter meaning you can keep them stored in a cool place much longer than a zucchini or "summer" squash).

PS this is the only squash besides zucchini that I would buy on purpose!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:08
Registered Member

BF:

YUMMO havent been on the site for a bit as have been too busy at work and my internet connection has broken at home.
How are you all???
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 385/346/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I buy Keto brand spaghetti from netrition.com. A serving has just 5 grams of carbs and 22 grams of protein. Most important, it tastes more like real pasta than anything I've tried. My dad is diabetic and it has been a real treat for him...