Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 20:28

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 381/239.8/160 Male 5 ft 6.25 inches
BF:61%/38.4%/25.6%
Progress: 64%
Cool Only 5 more pounds to 100 lost!!! And then beyond...

I have been thinking of posting myself in this section for a little while. I guess I haven't because I didn't want to jinx myself. Nevertheless, I think the time has come, and I must post my story here.

Here's the short version:

After a childhood and an adulthood of being overweight, it looks like I've finally figured it out!!!

I was a heavy kid - 140 lbs at 10 and 198 lbs at 14, when I starved myself and got down to 143 lbs by age 15. I stayed around that weight until I went to university. I went on long-term anti-biotics for acne, and slowly started getting sicker and sicker, and started gaining the weight back. At 21, after reaching 195, I went on a low-fat high-carb diet with exercise, only to GAIN 25 pounds in six weeks. By 23, I was 240. By 25, I was 260. At 26, I reached 308. I then accidentally lost 51 pounds eating what I now know is low carb, but not with any direction. I put that back on, and then some. By 29, I had reached 328, and had been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I then started cutting out carbs again, and dropped to 279, but my wallet got thin and I got busy with school, so I stopped exercising. I gained a little, but when I couldn't find work and times got tough, I got...

If you want the long version, go to my journal:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=59235
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Thumbs up Weigh to GO!!

That is just great!! Congrats on all the hard work!!
I looked at your website, and you can really tell the difference in the pictures! Plus in your weight chart almost 55"!! I have lost 25" since Sept. 20th, but I am also measuring more places than you are... 16 in fact they are: neck,chest,bust,waist,abdomen,hips,upper left and right thigh,upper mid thigh-left and right, left and right calf,left and right biceps,and forearms. It may seem excessive, but hey it works for me, and that is all that matters right? ANYHOW, you are an inspiration to all of us, thanks for sharing your success!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 00:26

Cool, Suze! I hadn't even finished my post, and you have already responded. I tried to submit it to edit it later, but time ran out!!! I wish that I had measured more areas when I started, but the sheet that I had only listed six areas: Chest, waist, hips, abdomen, left arm, and left leg.

I will continue.

...I gained a little, but when I couldn't find work and times got tough, I got depressed, broke, and I started gaining a lot. I got up to 356. I then started learning about protein and ephedra and started losing. I got down to 290, but got frustrated and broke and couldn't afford it anymore. Times got better, but instead of trying to lose, I spent time eating buffets. By the beginning of this year, I reached 380.

I decided to try Body Solutions. After two months, I lost 14 pounds. I was frustrated that it was taking so long. I remembered my prior successes with protein supplements, so I started adding protein shakes to Body Solutions. That was working. I started cutting carbs, not really knowing what I was doing. I lost 31. It felt like this time was different - that I would be able to lose the weight. I went back to Canada for a long weekend and a wedding. I came back, and found, even though I thought I didn't stray too much (in retrospect, I did), I had gained eight pounds. I knew I had been on the right track, but I also knew that I needed to understand what to eat better.

The night I got back, I talked to my friend Bob. Bob had been doing Herbalife, a plan that I have seen a lot of people here dismissing, and I can completely understand why... but it works! A few days later, after I was able to lose a pound on my own, Bob introduced me to the Herbalife Gold Plan, a low-carb diet with meal replacements and supplements. I realized then that I needed not just to cut down on carbs - I needed to eliminate them. I needed to commit to the low-carb WOE completely.

I went on the Herbalife Gold Plan 6/29/2002, which closest relative is probably Protein Power, and my results have been nothing less than spectacular. About 2 1/2 weeks after committing completely to this WOE, I signed up at Gold's Gym and got a personal trainer. Since starting on 6/29, I have lost an additional 71 pounds!!! That makes my total weight loss 95 pounds!!!

As readers of my journal can see, I have been able to consistently lose about 5 pounds per week since I started working out. My workouts push me to the physical limit. I do roughly a 50/50 split between circuit training and cardio (treadmill, and, most recently, elliptical machine), and my workouts currently last for about 2 hours, 4 days per week (I started 3). Many of my prior health problems, including asthma, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, and candida, are either greatly improved or gone. I feel better than I have felt in years. I know my metabolism is faster than it's ever been. And, since 6/29, other than occasionally having a few carrots that were mixed with other vegetables and accidentally eating snow peas once, I have not cheated once.

I will post more here. I will especially talk about my diligence and determination in getting this done, once and for all, because I believe a lot could learn from me. For now, if you want to read more, please read my journal, which goes into my story in a lot more detail. I expect to wake up in a few hours and find myself another pound lighter. At my current pace, I should reach 100 pounds lost by Monday. If I don't, that's ok, because I will get there a day or two later.

To see pictures of me and my progress chart, go to:

http://www.brianmeloche.com

I'd love to go into more detail about my story now, but I need to get to bed!

Last edited by bmeloche : Thu, Oct-10-02 at 00:33.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 12:45

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up WOW!

Excellent progress! WTG! Thanks for sharing your success with us!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 12:49
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Dear bmeloche -

This is a great accomplishment and you should be very happy that you took the time and trouble to figure out what you needed. You look great!

I firmly believe (I know others may disagree) that there is no one way to lose weight. It is as personal as your taste and your personality and i'm so glad you found something that fit you.

All the best!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 21:38

Wink Thanks Lisa!

Thanks for the compliments, Lisa and Tricia.

Lisa, I agree with your comment that there is not one way to lose weight. That certainly explains why some people swear by Weight Watchers while others do low carb while still others do some other diet.

That even goes for low carb diets. One variation may work for one person and not for another.

And as far as finding what works for me - I knew several years ago that low carb worked for me, but I needed direction. The same goes for my workouts. I didn't have a clue what I needed to do at first. I needed someone to TELL me. Once I got going, though, there's no stopping me. It took me 35+ years to find it!!!

Oh, and by the way, only 4 more pounds to 100!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 04:39

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wow! Good going. I'm looking forward to you reaching the big 100. It'll prove to me, and many others that it CAN be done!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:21

Cool

Thanks, Talon!!! It's on the way.

I lost another pound today, and that makes 97 pounds. I have lost a pound every day for the last 8 days, and I think 15 pounds in the last 16 days.

For anyone that might be concerned: I know that weight loss pace is fast, but a lot of it has to do with my workouts. I really have been pushing myself to the physical limit. I burned 975 calories on the elliptical alone last night.

And it's not like I am not eating. At dinner the other night, for example, I had a 20-ounce porterhouse steak, on a day where I didn't work out, and I still lost a pound. I eat well every night. Daytime meals are lighter most days, and usually consist of protein bars and shakes, with an occasional salad w/meat at lunch one-three days per week. I will also occasionally snack with macadamia nuts and tuna.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up

A-MA-ZING! I can't believe you've lost so much in such a short time. I'm just amazed. What a story!

Best wishes to you!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:05

Ginkirk:

I am pretty amazed myself! It's come off so easily, and I haven't experienced any major plateaus or anything else I couldn't handle. I don't know how long this will last, but I will ride this wave as long as I can!!!

I had to split my workout in half tonight (the gym closes at 9 on Fridays), so off I go to finish it (cardio).
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:35

Cool I have lost my 100th pound!

When I started this weight loss journey back in February, I weighed 380. When I started watching carbs, I was 366 in May. On June 28th, I signed up for Herbalife's low-carb Gold plan, and weighed 356.

Today, I weigh 280! One hundred pounds gone!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:05

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Great going!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 14:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

WOW!! Great going, Brian!!
I just found your story, and you have inspired me!! I have been on Atkins since June 20th, but since I am female, and dont work out, havent done near as well as you. I am happy for y ou though,,,and satisfied with my own progress. I have to agree,,,no ONE plan works for everyone, and they almost ALL work, if ya committ to 'em!!
Keep up the great work,,,cant wait to see the finished product!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 22:59

Smile Thanks musicmama!

Thanks musicmama!

I hope you've had a chance to take a look at my website, which has lots of pictures, and my journal on this site. I go into a lot more detail in the journal of my story. This low-carb WOL has worked far beyond my wildest expectations.

I have now lost 106 pounds!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 16:08
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Smile

Hello bmeloche,

Congratulations on 106 lbs lost

This sure is an inspiration, I will check out your journal on regular basis now to keep motivated

Way to go

Mischa