Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-06, 17:56

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Trying to cure rheumatoid arthritis with diet

Hi,

I've been on the Paleo Diet for a month. I'm trying to cure RA. I discovered earlier this year that eating a gluten-free diet helps reduce inflammation, but that hasn't gone far enough so now I'm hoping that eliminating other offenders (dairy, legumes, other grains, etc.) will do the trick. If anyone has had any success--or not--with treating RA or other autoimmune diseases with diet, please let me know. It would be helpful to hear of others' experiences.

I haven't seen any results yet in terms of arthritis, but I'm happy to report that I've lost 7 pounds!

PaleoCH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-06, 19:59

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I suffer from arthritis although it's not horrible most days. But I do find that lc really makes a difference in how often and how sever my pain is. I suspect it must have something to do with the fact that carbs hold water in your body . Without them there is not as much inflammation. But that is just a guess. I have been checking out web sites trying to find the answer but so far all the info I have found just says that the weight loss from lc is what causes the lessening of pain. I'm not convinced that that is all there is.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-06, 10:12

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi PaleoCH,

Like you I am a fellow newbie here (though oldie on other sites) who is on a LC diet mostly to combat an illness- in my case inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). I am on a lower carb version of the so-called Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I am on a hybrid of the SCD and induction Atkins, and it significantly helps me.

IBD is not necessarily defined as auto-immune, but in many respects it is. In my case, I certainly don't need to lose any weight (would like to gain a few pounds), but as a former carb addict I'd rather be thin and healthy than a little heavier and sick all the time.

This site is loaded with tons of links which I'm sure discuss benefits of LCing to RA, but FYI here are a few links to the SCD, as well as to the auto-immune discussion in Lutz book "life without bread," and a link to a low-starch diets that seems to help many with ankylosing spondytis (AS), which I don't have but which is probably auto-immune.

http://breakingtheviciouscycle.info/ (start here)
http://www.scdiet.org
http://www.scdiet.com
http://www.scdiet.org/7archives/lutz/lutz7.html
http://www.kickas.org (see the 'diet center' articles)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 18:46

BF:

Probiotic,

Thanks so much for all the links! I was shocked to see that the copyright date on the Lutz article is 1986, and he says:

Quote:
Certainly there are more than 50,080 cases of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis alone in the German-speaking countries. Why are they not put on a low-carbohydrate diet? Why does not this method become established? I can only say that I have tried everything. Between 1965 and 1981 I published five scientific papers in respectable medical journals, I have written over 40 letters to editors of scientific journals, I contacted the societies for patients of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis and have not even received a reply.

I do not believe that, of all the letters the postal service handles, it has lost exactly these. There Is no limit to the arrogance of orthodox medicine toward all outsider methods, toward acupuncture, neural therapy, chiropractic, homeopathy.

He's been banging this drum since 1965 and nobody's listening?? That's really sad, isn't it?

I have not heard of SCD until now. I'll have to spend some time in those links as well. I've been reading The Eades' Protein Power Lifeplan and I may be able to make use of some of their ideas also.

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH
Hi,

I've been on the Paleo Diet for a month. I'm trying to cure RA. I discovered earlier this year that eating a gluten-free diet helps reduce inflammation, but that hasn't gone far enough so now I'm hoping that eliminating other offenders (dairy, legumes, other grains, etc.) will do the trick. If anyone has had any success--or not--with treating RA or other autoimmune diseases with diet, please let me know. It would be helpful to hear of others' experiences.

I haven't seen any results yet in terms of arthritis, but I'm happy to report that I've lost 7 pounds!

PaleoCH
Read the Protein Power LifePlan by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades. The strictest version of his (low-carb) plan can cure a whole lot of things.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 182.5/180.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I have RA too. So far the low carb is not helping me. I've been having a terrible flare and it seems to get worse the more meat I eat, however, all else (blood sugar, mood swings, hair loss, etc.) are all improving big time. I'm going to keep on this way of eating. I know it will take time to heal. Hang in there, you are most certainly NOT alone!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 19:52

BF:

Idrial,

Honestly I think I'm worse too, but it's a little hard to tell because I went off my NSAID (ketoprofen) temporarily because of gut issues and have had a tough time with flares. Now I'm back on it, pre-treating with something called sucralfate to deal with the stomach pain. Today was my first good day in the last 10, but I have to attribute it to the ketoprofen kicking in, not the diet.
I'm going to try Michael Eades' krill oil regimen and see if I can get off the NSAID altogether at some point. [URL=http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=261]

I saw a food allergist last week to try to find some guidance in all this. He told me that I could possibly not see results of such a drastic change in diet for up to 3 months. But this is from an allergy POV, and I don't know how well that applies when dealing with increased protein/reduction in carbs and getting off dairy and grains if I don't have an allergy to them.

I'm glad to hear you've had success in some areas with the diet at least!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 15:27

BF:

PaleoCH,

Glad the links were of interest. If you google "molecular mimickry" (spelling?) or that term in conjunction with the word "arthritis" or "RA" you will probably get lots of interesting articles to browse, too.

In the case of IBD, Lutz emphasizes that in hisnpatients' cases, it can take years for the vicious cycle to tame down, with lots of backsliding here and there but with each flare being on average milder and milder, less frequent, etc etc.. and that dietary change is far from instantaneous in its effect. I have been LCing for my IBD for over 6 years and still have ups and downs i.e. flares, though I know of some others who did react more fully, much faster (months).

I think that diet, like everything,
is a component but not the whole story, but that every piece we can take out of auto-inflammatory activity makes for much better quality of life and increases the odds of other natural cures being able to take effect too. Besides, you and I benefit from the LC WOE in other ways.

Last edited by probiotic : Wed, Oct-25-06 at 15:28. Reason: typo
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 19:57

BF:

Probiotic,

You're undoubtedly right about diet being just one component. Even so, I can't help hoping that I'll be free of pain (and all the drugs) one day soon!

Have you tried taking glutamine? This is part of the Eades' recommendation in Protein Power Life Plan. They talk about a 2-step process: eliminating potentially inflaming substances (you know all about that), then providing patients with 20-40 grams of glutamine per day. They say they've "seen patients with IBD of many years' duration experience marked reduction of their symptons with just these two simple steps."

I was thinking of trying it. If you have any experience with it please let me know. I think it's also called L-glutamine.

On another front, I tried a 24 hour fast from last evening through this evening, and had no abdominal pain and joint pain was pretty good as well. I'm shocked by how much energy I had all day! Lots of threads on this forum re Intermittent Fasting, if your'e interested and haven't looked into it already.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 07:59

BF:

Hi again PaleoCH... Well, I have tried scores of different supplements, including glutamine/ l-glutamine. The problem for me with it is that it is very constipating even in doses of 5 grams or so, long before I can even guage if it has anti-inflammatory properties at higher doses. Well, I guess this isn't the appropriate forum to talk too much about the sort of bodily functions I chat liberally about on some other forums, lol. But on the whole topic of supplements, one must keep using trial and error.

For RA as well as IBD, for example, circumin/turmeric extract and boswellia are examples of things that MIGHT help some, but the list is endless and as we all know, many supposedly helpful things can hurt, so one must be vigilant in experimenting with stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/176/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi,
I've done lc off and on for the last 4 years and have AS (form of rheumatoid arthritis). I can tell you from experience that after you have done it for approximately 1-2 months, your body levels out and I completely went off all medications during the time that I was faithful with the Atkins diet. I've read tons of articles and studies on this and all point to the same thing that getting the sugar out of your system slows down the RA process and controls inflammation flareups. I can also say that when I went off the diet and went back to my old ways, I had severe flareups and had to go back on medications; feldene, celebrex, lidoderm patches, darvocet, etc. just to control the pain. I know this lc thing works that is why I'm back at it again. Stick in there, give your body time to "pitch a fit" before it gives up and levels out. I swear you will have more energy and virtually pain free.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 19:17

BF:

Quote:
Well, I have tried scores of different supplements, including glutamine/ l-glutamine.

Are glutamine and l-glutamine the same? I'm a bit confused about that.

Quote:
I've read tons of articles and studies on this and all point to the same thing that getting the sugar out of your system slows down the RA process and controls inflammation flareups.

I'm really surprised to hear about sugar and RA. I've read more about likely links with dairy, legumes, and grains. At any rate, your post was very encouraging. I hope I am as lucky as you and can sort out what my triggers are. I'm VERY fond of chocolate, so giving up sugar permanently would be a bit of a hardship.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 19:21

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH

I'm really surprised to hear about sugar and RA. I've read more about likely links with dairy, legumes, and grains. At any rate, your post was very encouraging. I hope I am as lucky as you and can sort out what my triggers are. I'm VERY fond of chocolate, so giving up sugar permanently would be a bit of a hardship.

I know how you feel...I was recently diagnosed as a hypoglycemic..my doctor INSISTED I go on a very LC diet. NO Sugar whatsoever. To be honest, even tho I feel 10000x's better w/o carbs, I crave them like crazy. It's weird how cravings drive us, even tho we know something will harm us in the long run...we still want it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-06, 11:33

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

This is from PhD nutritionist, Ann Louise Gittleman:
Quote:
Originally posted by annlouisegittleman
... the use of certain essential fatty acids (like GLA) has been shown to be most helpful with inflammatory-based conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and other similar diseases...
Interestingly, some researchers also believe that there is an allergic component to rheumatoid arthritis and similar conditions. For two weeks, you may wish to eliminate all members of the nightshade family, such as tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers, as part of your elimination diet. Just a thought.
My best wishes to one and all!
Are you taking at least 400mg of GLA daily? (you can find it in the form of Evening Primrose, Borage, or Black Currant Seed oils - read the label carefully! 1000mg of EVOO does NOT equal 1000mg of GLA )
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-06, 19:22

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

No tomatoes! I'd rather suffer the arthritis than give up my tomatoes. Now eggplant, that I can do without!