Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 02:53

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default How much protein do I need?

Hi everyone,

I am a seriously stuck tortoise

I've been at about 80 kilos for months and months. My spare tyre tells me I still have a way to go. ( I was a very fit 54 kilos as a youth!)

I have tried all sorts of tweets and adjustments but nothing seems to work.

I think I may be eating too much protein. My latest idea is to cut down on the protein and seriously up the fats. I do eat lots of fats at present by the way.

How much protein in the form of meat and eggs do I need a day to stop my muscles wasting away? I am thinking of trying a week or two on slightly lower protein, higher fat. Has anyone tried this succesfully?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

P.S. I am too much of a coward to try the fat fast.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:24
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

For a man --minimum of 16-20 ounces/day. More if you're very active.

For a modified fat fast try this. Mix protein withlots of mayonaise or cream cheese and eat some whenever you get hungry.

Tuna, crab, salmon, ham, chicken, egg salad. Chopped liver. Use with induction veggies. This will get you into strong ketosis within 3-4 days.

Try to eat 1/2 cup at a time to keep protein up.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Robert,

Here is a link to the way Protein Power recommend you estimate your protein requirements.

To estimate your lean body mass, simply subtract your body fat. There have been several threads here about estimating body fat. Here is one of them.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:38

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Umm Zuleika not exactly.

Protein requirements are based on Lean Body Weight.

Take your lean body weight multiply by 1.5 = grams of protein

The above assumes your weight is in kilograms. If not take your weight in pounds (LBM) divide by 2.2 then multiply by 1.5.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

G'day again Robert,

I've just reread your post and realise you may be under the impression that "too much" protein is slowing you down.

That is VERY unlikely. Have a look at these previous threads on Too much protein and Does too much protein get converted to glucose.
That should reassure you on that score.

As to why you're not losing, I'll have a peek into your journal.

Cheers, mate.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Re: How much protein do I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by RCFletcher
I do eat lots of fats at present by the way.

My suggestion is to calculate your calories. If you "do eat lots of fat", you need to realize that fat has 9 calories per gram. Proteins have 4 calories per gram.

The reason the "fat fast" works, isn't so much because it has so much fat in it, but 1) because it has so few calories, 2) the reason they use fat rather than protein is that fat converts to glycogen in your blood at a slower rate than protein does.

ALL diets (even low carb) work because of a deficit between calories in verses calories out (burned).

If you are eating "lots of fat" chances are you are also getting a LOT of calories. cutting protien MIGHT work, because you would be getting fewer calories (assuming you didn't replace them with fat), but it is more likely that cutting some of the fats would help you.

I KNOW Atkins says to not be afraid of fat. I agree with that except if you consume too much fat and aren't paying attention to how much and ARE consuming too many total calories then it will work against you.

I read a question once on an Atkins related site about fat. One woman thought that since she could eat fat she could consume a cube of butter every night with cinnamon and artificial sweetener on it. (Then couldn't understand why she wasn't losing).

NOT! how unreasonable. Butter has 100 calories per tablespoon. How many calories do you figure she was getting if she ate a whole cube?

To lose a pound of fat it requires that we create a deficit between calories in and calories burned of 3500 calories. If you want to lose weight you HAVE to create that deficit. It is pure science. There is NO disputing it.

There are several ways you can do this, you can increase excercise, become more active. You can cut calories.

There are those who argue against Atkins and say that the "reason it works" is that people find that they are hungry for less food and so they eat less by eating low carb.

There is TRUTH to that statement. It may not be the only truth, insulin levels do come into play in the equation, but if you find that you AREN'T losing on low carb it may be that you aren't creating the deficit.