Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 23:29

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Paleo Running

I want to start running more. I'm used to doing the classic type of jogging, where you slowly trot down the street, just kind of chugging along and moving your arms back and forth. I usually do a 2-4 mile loop, with A LOT of stops because I am a laiz. Any tips on how to improve? Also, am I doing it wrong? I vaguely remember hearing my paleo friends talk about how they were really into sprinting down wooded trails in bare feet or those funny toe shoes. However, it has been about two years since that conversation and I do not remember much about it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 08:49

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think the current wisdom is to move frequently at a slow pace and sprint occasionally. I don't wear shoes unless absolutely necessary and even then it's thin flip flops or water shoes (too cheap to buy proper minimalist shoes).

Mark's Daily Apple is a good resource.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:45

BF:

Raven: Wow. How often do you run in flip-flops, and how far do you go? How do your joints feel afterward?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 15:46

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I try to run around the yard with the boys a couple of times a week (including the gravel drive way) and play tag and race. It ends up being about a mile or two according to my fitbit. Joints feel great as long as I'm strict about no gluten. I have bad knees and have yet to find a pair of regular shoes that don't aggravate them.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 17:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Basically, run more. Improvements come from practice. As your strength and endurance rise, you can run longer.

I found 2 miles is a good starting distance. You may or may not be able to go that far. Once you can, move up to a mile or two more. There are barriers at 10,15,18 miles. Generally you have to learn to cover those distances.

Time yourself and run a measured course ( google earth and path the route you take.) Track the information.

There are programs like couch to 10K. Or the old standby The Complete Runner by Fixx. (Still good after decades).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I try to do either Couchto5k or HIIT... either one alternates fast walking/jogging with jogging/running... And HIIT adds a final minute of all out sprint to that.

The 20 minute HIIT that I do is:
Minute 1-3 warm-up at level 5
3-4 level 6
4-5 move up to level 8
5-6 level 9.
repeat for minutes 6-10, 10-14, 14-18 and minute 18-19 do a full sprint (level 10).
19-20 cool down level 5
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 20:26

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Why do you want to run more? You don't think it will improve your health do you?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-12, 08:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
Why do you want to run more? You don't think it will improve your health do you?

In the past, I've done a lot of running and it's made me feel pretty great, which I translate as being healthy.

I understand some of the reasons that people don't run. It can wreck your knees, it's hard on joints, and it can give you back problems if you don't take proper measures to stretch afterwards. Anything else?

If not running, what would you suggest instead?