Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb <60 carbs/day
Stats: 271.4/271.4/140 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Kinect for exercising?

I was wondering if anyone has used the Xbox 360 Kinect for exercising. I'm thinking about getting the fitness game called Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012.

I haven't done a whole lot of exercise so far and I know I need to start. I thought about buying a treadmill, but really don't have the room at my house for something so big. We have a really cheap gym in town that I was thinking about joining. But it's about 30 minutes from my house to the nearest town and with the price of gas, I don't think I could afford to drive in to town every day to go to the gym.

So I wanted to know if anyone has found success with using Kinect fitness games as a daily exercise program. Or I'm open to other suggestions of ways to exercise. I just need something that I can do daily that doesn't take up a lot of space in my house. I thought about starting to walk outside around the block but not really one of those people that like walking outside due to it always being too hot or too cold. And right now it's really cold outside.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 13:00

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

My kids got a Kinect last year for Christmas. Dance Central is quite a workout, if you like to dance. Zumba Fitness is also quite intense, but that game tends to freeze is there is any background movement, so depending on where you have your kinect, you might not like it.

When my kids play kinect, they are covered in sweat by the end. My 11 year old son loves the kickboxing, street fighter game. Kinect Sprots is also a lot of fun and very physical. I cannot even keep up, it is that intense.

You don't need specific "exercise" games. You can get a real workout from most any of them.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-11, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb <60 carbs/day
Stats: 271.4/271.4/140 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the info, I decided to get the fitness games and Dance Central 2. I can't wait to try them out. But I have to wait one more day because the Kinect is a Christmas present.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/313.8/220 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Bringing this one back from the dead.. I'll say this much. I *hated* the fitness thing for the Kinect. I kept wanting to pimp-slap the "motivating" computer generated trainer "Lift your knees higher" And I would be all "YOU LIFE YOUR KNEES HIGHER YOU EVIL WINCH!" Seriously.. it wasn't pretty. By the end of it I was trash talking the TV. I did Dance Central though and it was a BLAST! I enjoyed that loads more, and still do!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 13:02
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

WII Fit is fairly cheap and lots of fun....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 03:57

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I bought the zumba for kinnect at christmas and think its fab...we used it for a while and stopped but now i am back doing it,i find the whole routine too much,so my daughter and i just do the sections of learning all the moves,i think this will increase your body tone as its about body isolation and not about cardio so much,although after an hour i am tired...but i feel it helps to tone..
i would recommend it as its fun and you dont have to worry about what you look like in front of anyone else...lol..
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 08:36

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm so glad this thread was ressurected! My son has an Xbox with kinect and I hadn't even thought of using it for myself. He plays one game which is a version of that show called Wipeout where people run that hilarious obstacle course. He's all hot and sweaty after he plays that and it has the entire family in hysterics just watching him! I looks like so much fun that I'm now going to try it with him later today (thanks to this thread). It's so important to make exercise fun...I think kinect might just be the way to do that!

Thanks for the idea...you folks ROCK!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-14, 02:05
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I just dug up my Zumba Fitness and Kinect Adventures games. I think I'm going to add these to the days I don't do my Power 90 workouts.

The last time I did the Zumba one I felt like I looked ridiculous. lol
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 10:51
WhatCanIDoThisTime?!

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 240/230/135 Female 5'3"
BF:too dang much!!!!
Progress: 10%

I LOVE ZUMBA on my Kinect! I have Zumba Rush, Zumba Core, and Zumba Party.

I Zumba in the am every day. I am still in the low intensity training - but I do the short routines at night and start my day with one I made up myself of 8 low intensity songs with a good warm up in front and 2 cool downs at the end. It takes me a good 40 minutes to finish my long routine - and I'm sweaty and smilin when done.

SO FUN!

Mind you - I only have a 4 x 4 space to work with too - so if you are in the same situation - be sure to get the Zoom lens for small spaces.

So far this week according to Zumba stats - I have exercised for over 250 minutes this week.

Yay!!!!

So - any other Zumba fans out there with an XBox Live account - look me up. MamaConnect is the XBox handle. We can Zumba together!

Peace ~ Love ~ Zumba!