Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 15:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Carbs Minus Fiber

I checked my menus for carbs minus fiber and found that reduced my carb intake quite a bit. Does anyone have any tales to tell about following Atkins's direction on deducting fiber from carbohydrates? I was naturally selecting high fiber foods with carbs in mind and was quite surprised at the difference in carb count. Does this lower number show on the ketosis sticks? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 16:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

As a youngster I asked my pilot dad, "how fast do you have to go to take off?" he said, "It depends"

I didn't like that answer. He went on to explain that there are a lot of variables involved. That's how I perceive your question as well. I wish there was a simple answer, and one has been tossed out a lot and that is 20 total carbs or less. This number pretty much assures that you'll be dipping into fat or protein to fuel your body and maybe show signs of ketosis

Is it the right number for you? We can't tell you that but you can sure start there and see how you feel after a month or so.

Also a note, as a net carb counter, is that I deduct fiber from natural foods like Bok Choy and tomatoes and stuff. An extreme example of what not to do would be to eat 100g of sugar and mix it with 100g of psyllium husks and call it "0 carb" I, like you, tend to eat the foods that have a low net carb count - they just also happen to be at the top of the lists of recommended vegetables for low carb eating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 17:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I agree. I notice how I feel after eating foods. If my carb addict cravings come back ( constantly hungry, crabby or thinking about food way too much), I worry. Definitely sign too much carb for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-17, 10:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Some folks do, some don't. I think many who don't, eat a higher number of carbs (but certainly not all do!).
So if a person eats 35 carbs a day, but doesn't subtract fiber, if the person did subtract it would be say 20net carbs a day.
I don't think it matters- you just have to find your critical level of carb consumption and stick to that using whatever method makes more sense to you.

I do subtract, as they don't increase my blood sugar (I'm a diabetic).

But either method works.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 05:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thank God for forums that inform on the Internet of occasional nonsense. Thanks for the good answers.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 06:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
I agree. I notice how I feel after eating foods. If my carb addict cravings come back ( constantly hungry, crabby or thinking about food way too much), I worry. Definitely sign too much carb for me.

That's exactly what I do! If a food makes me hungry instead of satiated, it is not working like food.