Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/172 Male 70.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Low Carb Cheese and Yogurt May Help to Prevent Heart Attacks and Diabetes

Cheese and Yogurt May Help to Prevent Heart Attacks and Diabetes
April 19, 2015
by Gabe Mirkin, MD

A new study shows that yogurt, cheese and other fermented dairy products may help to prevent heart attacks (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, April 2015;63 (10):2830-9). People who ate a lot of cheese had very high levels of butyrate in their stool and urine and much lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. This means that the fermented dairy products are being converted by bacteria in the intestines to butyrate that prevents food from forming the bad LDL cholesterol that is associated with increased heart attack risk. The authors believe that they have shown that fermented dairy products encourage the growth of healthful intestinal bacteria that may help to prevent heart attacks. Another study of 27,000 people, ages 45 to 74, shows that eating cheese and yogurt lowers risk of type-2 diabetes by 25%, while meat increases risk (Am J Clin Nutr, April 2015).

Yogurt, cheese and other fermented milk products have not been associated with increased risk for diabetes, heart attacks or bone loss (Am J Clin Nutr, 2014;99:1235S-42S), probably because they have very low levels of lactose and galactose (J Hum Nutr Diet, 2009;22:400-8). Fermenting milk breaks down the galactose so that almost no galactose is left in cheese or yogurt.

more - http://drmirkin.com/nutrition/chees...d-diabetes.html

Last edited by SnoopyT443 : Sun, Apr-26-15 at 17:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Horray for fermented yogurt

Snoopy, bless your heart, am thrilled to set his info! It was making NO SENSE that if LCHF is great, how can we cut out a major food group like dairy, or use it so sparingly. Don't the French live on cheese, eh?
++++++
Yes, I saw the 'insulinogenic' quotes, but all the fears touted didn't make sense to scare everyone off.

I have been asking like crazy about dairy to Naturpathics, and dietitians..and even my Urologist has ZERO knowledge that dairy fats are not dangerous.

Some/too much dairy is not right for all..many are lactose intolerant, but with real full fat quality dairy it should be a component of LC for us keto'ers.

www.kidneycoach.com offers lots of nutritional advice for people with kidney faiure and problems..and when I pressed them I get the SAME DUMB argument against dairy that had NOTHING to do with kidneys. here is what they say:
To get you started, yes we definitely recommend avoiding saturated fats for the best kidney health, of which dairy is included. Healthy fats, high in omega 3 are fine, such as fish and eggs, but dairy …. are to be avoided.

I can see not going overboard and having cups of yogurt a day…but eliminating dairy is a harsh price, and for MANY I am betting the is no reason to.

TODAY-4-26 I received part 7 of the Kidneycoach 10 lesson free class info….and here is MORE anti Saturated Fats bull.======
Protein: Vegetarian sources of protein are the best choices for kidney patients, followed by fish and chicken. Vegetarian sources include tofu and tempeh. Soy foods in particular can help to slow down progression of kidney damage. Red meats are the worst, and are not only hard to digest but they are high in saturated fat, which is well known to contribute to heart disease.

sigh….endless misleading propaganda by people who should know what they are talking about. I DO get cranky when the 'experts' get it wrong!

thanks agin for finding this recent article!

Last edited by MuddyGurl : Sun, Apr-26-15 at 21:30. Reason: adding info
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 04:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sort of doubt it. Not that I have a problem with dairy, but correlation isn't causation, and preferring fermented dairy while avoiding red meat has become a mainstream go-to for health-conscious people, people following that pattern are probably doing all sorts of other things right.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:06
Registered Member

BF:

MuddyGurl - Thanks for the feedback. Hope it works out for you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 07:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yogurt may also make you even more slender

Mediterranean diet of high-fat yogurt ‘keeps you slim’

In a somewhat surprising finding, the latest study concludes that whole-fat yogurt helps keep the pounds off more effectively than low-fat yogurt.

And if you eat a lot of yogurt in combination with a Mediterranean diet you could cut your risk of obesity by 36 per cent.

You need to consume at least a 150g pot every day.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460668
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 08:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

We always love to see the headlines that match our confirmation bias, don't we?

Sadly, dairy products do awful things to me. I'll have to get my butyrate by other means.
Quote:
Sources of Butyrate

There are two main ways to get butyrate and other short-chain fatty acids. The first is to eat fiber and let your intestinal bacteria do the rest. Whole plant foods such as sweet potatoes, properly prepared whole grains, beans, vegetables, fruit and nuts are good sources of fiber. Refined foods such as white flour, white rice and sugar are very low in fiber. Clinical trials have shown that increasing dietary fiber increases butyrate production, and decreasing fiber decreases it (free full text).

Butyrate also occurs in significant amounts in food. What foods contain butyrate? Hmm, I wonder where the name BUTYR-ate came from? Butter perhaps? Butter is 3-4 percent butyrate, the richest known source. But everyone knows butter is bad for you, right?

After thinking about it, I've decided that butyrate may have been a principal component of Dr. Weston Price's legendary butter oil. Price used this oil in conjunction with high-vitamin cod liver oil to heal tooth decay and a number of other ailments in his patients. The method he used to produce it would have concentrated fats with a low melting temperature, including butyrate, in addition to vitamin K2*****. Thus, the combination of high-vitamin cod liver oil and butter oil would have provided a potent cocktail of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D3, K2), omega-3 fatty acids and butyrate. It's no wonder it was so effective in his patients.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...troller-of.html

Other than LC veggies, I bet glucomannan powder is a good source. I often add it to my smoothies to thicken them up. I used to make a pudding from it. Tasted pretty tasteless, but I knew it was doing something good for me.

Oh yes, those miracle noodle things are made of it too.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 09:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Funny thing, I love sweet potatoes, but they GET A HOLD OF ME and I HAVE NO WAY OF STOPPING.

Whew! Let me get a grip.

On the other hand, dairy and I go okay. Glad I'm getting my butyrate from somewhere.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 10:23

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

On this subject, does anyone know where to get high fat yougurt? I've not seen it at any food chain yet. Of course health food stores stay clear of high fat products.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got mine at Trader Joe's. You could always make your own. Yogurt is easy. Instructions all over the internet.

If you've got any middle-eastern ethnic stores in your town, you might check them out.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 02:15
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default HFS DO Carry full fat yogurt

Ahhh this is NOT true: """Of course health food stores stay clear of high fat products.""

My HFS carries many yogurts, and the one I LOVE is Bulgarian style. glass jar, 1 qt. $6. amazing taste.

Stonyfeid out of east coast also is a plastic tub- full fat yogurt. not as good tasting to me.

White Mountain is the brand I like..and I have FAILED twice at trying to make yogurt.. I just got no mad temperature watching skills…you gotta do the mixing at an exact temp to produce thick yogurt. I used a crock pot on low-- was too low, used a stove top pot, and left the room too long and it cooled below the mixing in of starter temp. needed....dang,,produced a semi lumpy very milky product. I used it in shakes,
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 09:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

White Mountain, that's my favorite full fat Yogurt.
It is sold at many conventional stores now.
Click on the link and then go to: "Get our products", to see the full list of stores..
http://www.whitemountainfoods.com/
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 10:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I can get Dannon regular full-fat plain yogurt at my local supermarket. Sometimes I have to dig for it in the dairy case, hidden behind all the low-fat, vanilla-flavored, non-fat versions. I "greek" it at home.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 22:19

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've been making large volumes of homemade full fat yogurt lately, usually a gallon at a time which we then drain the whey out of to produce a smaller volume of "Greek" style thick yogurt. I take the gallon-size crock and its lid from my slow cooker, freshly run through dishwasher with heated dry cycle to sterilize, but do not use the heating part of slow cooker--too hot on even lowest setting. Instead I use the heating element base from an old food dehydrator with a metal roasting rack on top of it to support heavy ceramic crock's weight, add cold gallon of plain old cheap whole milk from regular store mixed with the powdered contents from one of those "colon care" type probiotic capsules (just the powder not the gelatin capsule part), then let sit with lid on crock, heated, 24 hours. Then drain and done. Yum!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 09:14

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I love dairy and will follow the French and Greeks.
It has always been kind to my tummy and during the times when I didn't eat it, I was not better, but worse.

We always follow what works for us and, I suppose, cite the studies to prove our point.
I guess that means we all cherry pick. I picked mine.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 14:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
On this subject, does anyone know where to get high fat yougurt? I've not seen it at any food chain yet. Of course health food stores stay clear of high fat products.

My local health food store has full fat yogurt from grassfed cows. And, you might ask -- many places will ask their supplier and it usually turns out someone else wanted it too