Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 02:19

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Fiber & Carbs

Some one told me today that fiber is not a carb. Is this true? If it is true, why do we get to subtract the fiber numbers from our carb counts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:10

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Judy -

Schwarzbein doesn't differentiate between carbs and fibre in her plan. Other plans do allow the subtraction of fibre from the total carb because fibre passes through the body undigested and doesn't contribute to insulin release...anyone can step in and give more details anytime.

Does this mean we can (as Schwarzbeiners) do this? I think its up to you. I do it occasionally, but I also eat less carbs than on the plan...have created my own system so to speak.

Keep up the good work!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 02:16

BF:

Lisaf,

Thanks for the clarification. I only want to do it with my Rykrisp. They are very low if you shave off the fiber. It's my only vice and so far it doesn't seem to be a negative.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 09:46

BF:

Judy - if its not a problem for you then enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:33

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I think Dr. S. does differentiate between carbs and fibre - she just doesn't say so. If you look at her vegetable lists you will notice that most of the non-starchy veges are high in fibre and low in carbs, which come close to cancelling out. While her starchy veges are higher in carbs and lower in fibre - for the most part. I think some of it was her food preferences too. Plus the USDA has made big changes in their evaluation of vegetables since 1999.

However, my "modification" is to count the carbs and fibre in all my veges and I subtract the fibre to get my "actual" carb count. It works better for me to look at all veges that way. And I use the USDA RF14 database to check it. And actually, I only check my recipes, I have a good idea of what I am getting at lunch and breakfast (I eat the same thing almost every day).

I can't wait for her new book to see how she has developed her paln.

:-Deb

#6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:57

BF:

Thanks for the responses. I am curious where you check the USDA rf14 data base. Is it on line? I have a feeling despite my best efforts I am consuming hidden carbs. My weight loss is very slow and I can't quite figure out why.

EX: Typical day meal plan 5-8 16oz bottles of water consummed throughout the day

B: 2 eggs, 2 sl.bacon, green vege, 2 rycrisp with butter (15 g/c)

Lunch: salad with romaine. broccoli, mushrooms, bacon bits,
chicken, and homade salad dressing. (trace carbs)

snack 23 almonds

Dinner: meat, salad as above, green vege, 2 rcrisp with butter (
15 g/c.)
Lte nite snack: (my day is weird) I start a little later and work very late. I can't sleep hungery. a few almonds or 1 egg or 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.

I don't exercise in the traditional sense, but my job is not sedentary. I am active most tof the day. Ant thoughts? Any One?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 12:53

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default USDA Database Search Page

Here's the link. I'm getting ready to write an Access database cookbook geared toward low-carbing and I'm going to make it so it imports this database.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

I like using this search because you have choices on measurments to check and for me it's actually easier to search than some of the "carb-counters" I've seen so far.

;-Deb

#8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 02:17

BF:

Thanks I went and peeked at it . It is great
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 14:18

BF:

Hi Judy -

There's nothing in your menu that seems out of the ordinary to me. I do have two comments. The first is that you aren't completely following her plan in the sense that your lunch doesn't have a carb. This is fine and I don't think it would slow your loss. I don't know how much you are eating, but I do know that although she doesn't dictate calories, you can learn a good lesson from protein power about eating enough calories to keep your body from entering starvation mode (i.e. 10 -12 x your body weight in pounds). So make sure you're getting enough.

Finally, you didn't gain it overnight and you won't lose it that way. Some people are notoriously slow losers (see the Turtle club) and have had to learn to live with that. Also, I don't know your history, but if your metabolism is in need of serious repair, you'll take longer to lose.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 03:16

BF:

Your right there was no carbs for lunch yesterday. I usually throw some sunflower seeds on my salad, but forgot to yesterday. I do have to eat more calories. I eat enough to fill me up and in 3 hours I'm ready for my next feeding.