Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-15, 20:56

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
This along with suggesting that the 5-a-Day for the individual came from vegetables only, avoiding fruit completely, whilst also promoting time-restricted eating / fasting.
To be fair, I believe they are referring in this quote to both the "10 hour window" (not difficult) and the 2-3 24 hour fasts prescribed for the husband. Three 24 hour fasts a week could be considered rather radical for mainstream medicine. I'm thinking that the diet is so stringent in order to get rapid results (for the show) and might be loosened up a bit afterwards (add a bit of fruit? dairy?). Kind of an induction type thing.

I watched the whole episode to see if there were any new revelations about dealing with menopausal symptoms, which for me there were not. ("Reduce stress" always kills me--I don't go around looking for stress!). Very impressive results, especially for the husband (Sandeep), but his statement that "I have a couple more months of hard work" was a bit discouraging--NO, this is a new WOL for you! you can't ever go back (without going back to the downward diabetes spiral). I'd like to see what happens long-term with them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-15, 07:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
I watched the whole episode to see if there were any new revelations about dealing with menopausal symptoms, which for me there were not. ("Reduce stress" always kills me--I don't go around looking for stress!).

Gosh yes. It's what they say instead of "I have no idea."

Personally, I'm a month and a half into progesterone cream, and it's lovely. This is the hormone that gets burned up with stress. With it, I'm a Zen Master.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 06:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DietDoctor titles this story update "Old School Dieticians Freak Out"

http://www.dietdoctor.com/doctor-in...tians-freak-out
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 12:38

BF:

Sorry to spin OT,

Quote:
Personally, I'm a month and a half into progesterone cream, and it's lovely. This is the hormone that gets burned up with stress. With it, I'm a Zen Master.
The natural valium! Please be careful, I have found it is best to use only the smallest amount that will provide symptom relief. Even the suggested amount has bad side effects for me after a period of time. Also, it is important to have a few days break now and then to make sure it stays effective and you don't have to up-dose (to keep receptors down-regulated?).
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 17:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Sorry to spin OT,

The natural valium! Please be careful, I have found it is best to use only the smallest amount that will provide symptom relief. Even the suggested amount has bad side effects for me after a period of time. Also, it is important to have a few days break now and then to make sure it stays effective and you don't have to up-dose (to keep receptors down-regulated?).

Thanks. Though I am still waiting for complete symptom relief
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-15, 12:26

Part 2, a family with body dysmorphia, addiction to painkillers, and eczema. Not as much on diet, except for helping the 5 year old clear up ezcema by eliminating wheat and dairy. I did not learn this until 60! A lifetime of ezcema, seasonal allergies, and food anaphylaxis could have been prevented, as it may have been for this little boy.

http://youtu.be/ZXEWydMGtoI
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 14:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

BBC's Dr Chatterjee: My baby’s illness changed the way I work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbein...the-way-i-work/

#23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 06:03

Thanks Demi, enjoyed reading more about Dr McDreamy.
Nothing wrong with having a doctor who is easy on the eyes makes the visits way more pleasant.

The third installment is the BEST yet. An obese family, mum with T2 diabetes, da a smoker, changes their eating habits from McDonalds on the couch to eating real food at the dining table. It should be on the BBC player for those in UK (maybe some other countries?) http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pr...or-in-the-house
but a copy just showed up on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx3yrAvD3g
Sadly, Part 2 has been removed, so if interested, watch it while still here.

[a shock for me]..In the UK, families spend 1/3 of their food budget on fast food?
The good news, the mum loses over 2 stone and her HbA1c went from Diabetic to normal in weeks and loses 5 stone by time the segment aired.

All lifestyle...Dr McDreamy states right at the beginning he does not want to use meds for the diabetes. I can imagine now way more diabetes organizations will "Freak Out" over that comment too

Edit add later:
DietDoctor's post on it: Diabetes Reversed Using Low Carb on BBC – Again! – What Will Those Old-School Dietitians Say Now?

http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes-...titians-say-now

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-05-15 at 10:39.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 12:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

In part 3 at the 13:50 mark, the speaker says "type 2 diabetes is a condition that causes dangerously high levels of blood sugar". No, it's not. The "dangerously high levels of blood sugar" is the condition called type 2 diabetes. Because, what is the distinguishing feature of diabetes? High blood glucose. What is the distinguishing feature of diabetes type 2? High insulin. This is in contrast to diabetes type 1, where there is high blood glucose, but lack of insulin.

Just sayin.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 13:34

BF:

There was something else in the voice over that didn't seem quite right, oh well, ignore the voice over, listen to the doctor.

Heartwarming story--their diet was atrocious! Reminds me of the family we bought our house from. The husband had recently died of a heart attack. The wife was very obese. We couldn't figure out how they cooked!--the oven didn't work at all, the kitchen sink drain was filled with grease from top to bottom of house, stove almost defunct (fridge was already gone). Found out from the neighbor that they never did cook, and all food was carry-out. The basement was unused, as they couldn't get up and down the stairs apparently. Very sad.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 15:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Something that really sticks with me from this show was how the woman said that she had learned that her actions had consequences (I may be paraphrasing this). I think that is one of the most important lessons we can learn. The choices we make have consequences for our lives. It is certainly true about the food choices we make.

Jean
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 15:53

Plan: low carb/grain-free
Stats: 155/118/118 Female 64 inches
BF:

This show was wonderful, and very moving.

Anyone know how to get episodes 1 and 2?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 03:49

Well darn. The person who had posted episode 2 reposted it in four parts, but those too have been blocked in the US. I'll watch for new copies but it depends on people who do have access to BBC player copying and posting on YouTube.

The Kitchen Clean Out clip from episode 1 is available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q6y95
And the pain management clip from episode 2.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 14:20

Plan: low carb/grain-free
Stats: 155/118/118 Female 64 inches
BF:

Thanks Janet. Episode 3 was more compassionate and helpful than I've ever seen in a weight-related tv show before. Gives one hope!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 06:52

Great review in the BMJ!

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6325/rr-2

Quote:
Re: The doctor will move in with you now

I commend Dr Rangan Chatterjee and the BBC for making this programme. I would even like it to be repeated every week until all diabetics and their professional medical , nursing and dietetic advisors become aware of the methods. Why? For the simple reason that we have been giving inadequate advice to many diabetics for years. If the old advice works for someone - great - but if it does not then a different approach is needed. Dr Chatterjee showed how to clear a kitchen of junk food and how to eat low carbohydrate food for better diabetic control. It is what I and several colleagues have been doing for 18 months. You cannot do it in 10 minutes but thankfully you can do it in Primary Care if your whole team is on board. Dr David Unwin is another GP who works like this and he is 2 years ahead of me in terms of experience.

I would like all readers of these letters to ask themselves if our weight management and diabetes management are actually working for the person in front of us and if not, to try a different approach. I have seen patients follow a low carbohydrate eating plan for 1 week and halve their insulin with lower blood sugars than before, as well as eczema being cured by changing from a diet of junk food to real food. It can be done. We need to know what to advise people and trust that they will be interested and give it a go.

In Sweden they have www.dietdoctor.com, a free site which methods are followed by 20% of the population. I refer to that site and www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk. In my experience some people just go away and do these new ways of living. The others need more support and to do that we need to get our whole team on board. Dr Chatterjee showed what can be done . We now need to think of how we can transfer the ideas to our patients via our primary care teams and public health departments, as well as the media including social media.

Joanne McCormack

GP and Safeguarding Children GP
www.healthylivingsite.me