Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/150.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Trying a new low carb approach

I hope someone reads this I am back to low carbing. I am doing a new approach. 10 days 30 carbs per day, Carb out the night of the 10th. Back on 30 carbs for seven days and carb out the night of the 7th. I here it is great for losing the fat. I have been on a 6 day plateau (on Slimfast)and tomorrow I am starting this new approach. I am looking to find people who are doing this or know something about it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 13:35

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Why interrupt your lowcarbing by eating high carb regularly? Won't this mean you switch back to burning carbs and have to go through withdrawals again?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 15:29

Stats: 155/150/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi there. Just thought I would share my experience with you. It happened by accident but I have been keeping track of it because I find it interesting. I too have been LCing and I happened to have a bad day (ended up CRAVING a cheeseburger) well, this bad day turned into a bad weekend and I totally blew it. I went back to low carb on that Monday and I weighed myself on Thursday. Funny thing, I was shocked to see that I had lost an additional 3 pounds from the week before. It's almost like after having carbs for those few days, my body was shocked when I cut them out again and I had a whoosh of weight loss. I am going to allow myself one meal a week of anything I want and see what my body does. I have adapted to this way of eating and can truly see it as something I can stick to for life. It is nice however to look forward to a nice dinner once a week with my boyfriend. As I said, I'm going to keep track of what my body does when I do this.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 16:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Good luck. Many have tried... few have succeeded.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 19:01

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Good luck but it is bad chemistry.

Also, as everyone on this forum understands your weight will fluctuate 3-5 pounds (at least). Just because the scale said you were 3 pounds lighter doesn't mean that you lost the pounds.

Just sayin'
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 22:22

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricme
Good luck but it is bad chemistry.

Also, as everyone on this forum understands your weight will fluctuate 3-5 pounds (at least). Just because the scale said you were 3 pounds lighter doesn't mean that you lost the pounds.

Just sayin'

When we eat carbs the liver stores glycogen as a fuel source for the body..When we drastically reduce carbs the first thing the body will do is dump the glycogen reserve to fuel the body,this spent glycogen is part of the initial "Whoosh" of weight loss the first week of LC...Everytime that you eat excessive carbs the body will automatically store glycogen in the liver again,and you will see a gain on the scales and puffiness until you restrict carbs enough to burn off the glycogen once more..Each time you feast on carbs you will repeat this process..Do you think this is healthy for you??
Quote:
Why interrupt your lowcarbing by eating high carb regularly? Won't this mean you switch back to burning carbs and have to go through withdrawals again?

It takes 48-72 hours for the body to return to a state of once again using fat for fuel instead of carbs,and I assume that you want to burn fat stores correct? So I ask you,which is more productive,a efficient factory operating on a 24/7 365 day schedule of operation,or one that stops and takes a holiday every 48-72 hours?? Just some things for you to think about..
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 06:31

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I there, I remember long ago, I would eat clean LC for a few weeks, then binge for a day. I did actually loose the water weight that I had gained and extra each time. But, the longer this cycle went on, the harder it got to get back on plan and eat LC. I ended up giving up all together and eating HC again. Some people do the CKD plan, but that includes a lot of excercise, its a must to loose the weight when having a carb up day.

I would be warned to be careful with your approach. I believe the "shocking" of the body helps, but the negative effects can be difficult to handle. Best of luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 06:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
It takes 48-72 hours for the body to return to a state of once again using fat for fuel instead of carbs,and I assume that you want to burn fat stores correct? So I ask you,which is more productive,a efficient factory operating on a 24/7 365 day schedule of operation,or one that stops and takes a holiday every 48-72 hours?? Just some things for you to think about..

Yes, many many people have shown up thinking they "got away" with the cheat meal. Ooooh ooooh, I'm going to do this every week!

But, as Thomas1492, this kind of thing doesn't show up on the scale right away; over time, it can stall you.

And that's if you keep it to one meal a week; only people rarely seem to. They have a carby lunch, too, because it's cheat day, and since it's been ages since they've had a bagel, now it's Carb Day.

Just things to be cautious of.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 17:32

BF:

Thank you so much for your kind and informative responses to my post. It is so very supportive to know that others are going down this path right along with me. I weighed in this morning at 155.4 and I am going to try to see if I will lose a pound by Sunday. I would be overjoyed with even a small success.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 17:35

BF:

Small successes add up to large ones over time.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 12:58

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Jet, just weigh yourself once a month. Short term weighing like you are doing is very frustrating and confusing. The diet works, just accept it as your way of eating and then you will see a whole bunch of cool stuff happen, some slow and other things quickly.

I just feel that if you keep getting caught up with the scale that you might be prone to odd ideas like carbing-up on a low carb diet.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 14:48

Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

Its definitely bad news to mess with carbs imo...that said I have experienced a whoosh from eating moderate carbs and then dropping them again. That said, my "moderate" carbs were like...one ice cream...not gone hog wild.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 05:28

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I couldn't do your diet. The cravings would be horrendous. Low-carbing enables me to get my body on an even keel and stay there, gaining better control of my weight and energy. I agree with everyone else. STOOOOOP! lol.

Good luck though - one of my ex-colleagues did 5 days of a lower-carb & low-calorie diet, and was a bit more indulgent at the weekends. He looked in great shape.

Learning portion control is probably one of the keys to successful carbing. If you think of 1 teaspoon of sugar having 4 carbs, then you could allow yourself a few teaspoons of a dessert (if that's where your carbing is pulling you) along with an ultra low-carb meal without it putting your body chemistry out of synch.

A great way to ensure low-term success is to cut out all sweet-tasting foods. That way, even when you stop the diet, you'll have found healthier alternatives to those sugary snacks, and will be less likely to return to the old way of eating.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Sep-24-11 at 05:37.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 07:58

BF:

I have found that when I eat fruit, on occasion, like, once a week. I get a woosh the next day. I have a hunch, that I have already lost the fat, but the fat molecules were holding onto fluid and the change in diet caused a woosh. I wouldn't call it moderate carb either, a couple cups of water mellon or strawberries isn't an awful thing. But, in some people it could cause cravings and be awful. I know a lot of people get the woosh after a high carb day, but you probably already lost the fat, its just the fluid being released from the fat cells.

You don't want to hear this anymore, but you really shouldn't have cheat meals or days, it will potentially set you back, give you cravings and start you all over with induction flu. The people that follow the CKD plan, work out majorly to get right back into ketosis, and to keep burning the fat. It really doesn't work well for those that don't work out like twice a day, hard.

I have fallen off the wagon so many times, because I thought I could handle that cheeseburger bun or that cup of ice cream. Truthfully, most of us can't handle it, the cravings bite us in the butt.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 08:56

BF:

Thank you again for your great comments and support. I am down another pound today but I don't want to get too cocky about it. I am keeping track of my carbs on another site. I am really lucky because I have good results right away and I am a carnivore big time. For lunch I am having a hamburger patty with cheese and 1/4 cup of summer squash. I am not a vegie person although I know I am supposed to have about 15 carbs a day in them. I kind of have to face the fact that this is my new lifestyle and not so much dieting. I think some of us just have a really bad response to carbs so maybe cycling won't work for me. Time will tell. Have a great day! Ps I really tried not to weigh today but it is useless.