Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 10:50

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
See, I need to pay attention when I read...or actually print out the recipe before I make the sodding thing by memory......

Ha. This is so very much what I do and why my husband is a better cook. He follows directions.

I kind of invented the peanut butter concoction by accident (OK, low-carb desperation) and have had several other improvised hits - but not everything's a winner, by a long stretch.

(This is gonna sound weird but you can also make an awesome sauce reducing balsamic vinegar and butter in a pan - maybe adding some Splenda. Or, maybe it's all just me and my weird tastes.)
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Ha. This is so very much what I do and why my husband is a better cook. He follows directions.

I kind of invented the peanut butter concoction by accident (OK, low-carb desperation) and have had several other improvised hits - but not everything's a winner, by a long stretch.

(This is gonna sound weird but you can also make an awesome sauce reducing balsamic vinegar and butter in a pan - maybe adding some Splenda. Or, maybe it's all just me and my weird tastes.)

That is so true...no one other than another chef/cook can feel your pain in knowing for every success there is a near miss that was as bad as the success was good...and we, being the cook ate the disaster...or at least part of it.....
  #183   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 18:20

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

*bump*

I've used coconut oil in th past and remember it caused a rise in temperature. I had researched it a lot but was not LCing at the time. My cravings and general eating issues were so bad, it was pointless trying any products. Thanks to these threads, I'm going to start it again.

I noticed a few members mentioning what sort of oil to get, and that the ones without taste where better for cooking.

Obviously, people are still researching and testing these things, and I'm certainly no expert, but my own past research came up with the information that the 'right' oil for health and weight loss benefits should have a distinctive taste. That if it is scentless and tasteless it's most likely hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated. These flavourless and scentless oils have been refined, bleached and deodorised (RBD oil).

So buy from reputable sellers/brands, because you might not be able to tell. But do try the scent/flavour test, it should smell and taste like coconut!

Looking forward to my own experiments...
  #184   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: VLC/High fat
Stats: 205/165/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I have used the Nutiva brand and Spectum organic. The Spectum doesn't have a coconut smell. Now I'm worried. Has anyone tried this brand? I got it from the Whole foods store.

I also just tried some coconut milk. In fact I'm drinking some in tea right now. It's very good!
  #185   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-07, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: undecided
Stats: 198/188/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

#186   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 11:08

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f
The Spectum doesn't have a coconut smell. Now I'm worried. Has anyone tried this brand? I got it from the Whole foods store.

I also just tried some coconut milk. In fact I'm drinking some in tea right now. It's very good!

Hi,

Coconut milk is yummy but has no weight loss benefits. You need to try the virgin coconut oil because it is the healthiest. if it doesn't have a scent or flavour of coconut, then it's a good chance it's been deodorised or bleached. You can still use it as a cooking oil. But try to get a CO that says virgin.

My experiment: http://metabolicshiftapproach.wordp...in-coconut-oil/

good luck
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 02:20

Plan: paleo
Stats: 160/160/150 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress:
Default careful about consuming too much

For those of you who plan to eat it straight. I'd advise trying a small amount and working your way up. I was dabling with the stuff a few years ago and at the end was putting two tablespoons in my coffee every morning... No ill effects.

Then I stopped for a few months. One night I ate the same two tablespoons again. An hour later I was sweating. Two hours later I was puking till every last drop (or so it seemed) was out.

It seems that if you work up to it your stomach can get used to digesting a lot of fat in one big dose, but if you surprise your system with something that it isn't used to, it can overwhelm you.

Just trying to spare anyone from the experience I had.
  #188   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: undecided
Stats: 198/188/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks for sharing. I take 1/2 tbls with each meal. I eat 5 meals a day. So by the end of the day I have had 3 tbls. I put it in my food and coffee. I have not had any warm feeling from it or sweating. I am on day 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndela1
For those of you who plan to eat it straight. I'd advise trying a small amount and working your way up. I was dabling with the stuff a few years ago and at the end was putting two tablespoons in my coffee every morning... No ill effects.

Then I stopped for a few months. One night I ate the same two tablespoons again. An hour later I was sweating. Two hours later I was puking till every last drop (or so it seemed) was out.

It seems that if you work up to it your stomach can get used to digesting a lot of fat in one big dose, but if you surprise your system with something that it isn't used to, it can overwhelm you.

Just trying to spare anyone from the experience I had.
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 11:49

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

Is any benefit from using the coconut oils vs the soft gels? I have a friend who takes the soft gel and has seen a lot of weight loss with it and I would rather take the soft gel daily and use the oil sometimes in different recipes, etc.
  #190   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 08:27

I haven't had an energy boost with coconut even taking it later (may have Candida though) In fact, I have been super tired with bad headache. But, I have lost 3 lbs. Now, if I could get that energy boost as well, I would be really excited!
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 09:03
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Twin Mama,

Sounds like the effects of Candida die-off. Depending on the amount of time you've been taking CO & Lc'ing, I find that cycling off CO for about 2 weeks (after 6 weeks on)helped me reap the benefits when I resumed taking it. I enjoy the benefits of using CO as a supplement to my LC WOL. Keep it up! ~Cheryl
  #192   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 07:48

All right I am down another pound, that makes 4 pounds since starting coconut oil a few days ago. Yeah! Still haven't felt that energy, I'm mostly tired with a daily headache. I don't mind the coconut oil taste, I think it's pretty good in my coffee.
  #193   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 09:21

Still taking the coconut oil. It helps with my energy levels and helps me not be as hungry and having cravings. Skin also is much softer, not as bumpy. It works well for my husband, too.
  #194   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Okay, now I'm curious about this coconut oil thing...could someone give me a run-down of all the benefits?
  #195   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 15:52
Registered Member

Plan: general lo carb
Stats: 130/127.0/118 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 25%

i bought the stuff yesterday, did the two tbsp, and was up 2.5 pounds this morning. I am not saying it was the CO, i am just saying.... and all the research i did on the internet sort of convinced me that it is probably just another hype from the industry, since most of the hype is coming from people trying to sell it. The few apparently non-biased sites stated that the results were basically inconclusive where weight loss is concerned (or thyroid issues). We are all slaves to marketing i am afraid. HOWEVER, as another poster pointed out, you are not waisting your money because you can use it on your feet, face, arms, lips, and it is WONDERFUL. My lips have been great today! So i did not begrudge the $10 because my regular moisturizer costs about $30 for half as much. I am going to try it in a bath, too. I also have the capsules, and i took 3 today, but i cannot take 16 which is what i am told i will need to take in order to get my 3 tbsp in. Who knows? And as another poster on another thread stated, it is very good with the chocolate "BARK" recipe. I have not tried "cooking" so i cannot say, but it probably has it's uses.

by the way, i do not recall CO being mentioned in Atkins books. Anybody?