Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 18:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb Low-Carb Resources for Candida-related illness, IBS and IBD

My aim was to give links to sites that provided helpful and useful information for Low carbers, and as well to avoid the many sites geared to advertising some miracle herb cure or Buy This Book. If you know of other useful lowcarb friendly resources, please let us know!!

Doreen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WEBSITES

1. Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use ... a veritable wealth of information and links, detailing the health benefits of a low carbohydrate diet, and its healing effects on a myriad of bowel diseases. Non-commercial site, written and maintained by forum member Kent Rieske

2. CandidaPage.com ... is a comprehensive list of links to low-carb sites devoted to Candida and Candidiasis, including
  • Sites by Individuals
  • Educational Institutions/Government Associations/Organizations
  • Commercial Sites
  • Testing
  • Books
  • E-Mailing Lists/Forums

3. The HiMoLoCarb Diet, also called the GO-Diet, or the (Hi)gh (Mo)nounsaturated, (Lo)w (Carb)ohydrate diet and lifestyle, is a lowcarb program, and includes a section dealing with Treatment for Intestinal Candida. They promote the use of yogurt with live lactic cultures.

4. Candida-Yeast.com ... homepage of Dr. William Crook, author of "The Yeast Connection", and numerous other books on allergies, yeast-related and other chronic illnesses. The links are very useful and comprehensive, as well the FAQ's, set up in Q & A format. There is also his Questionnaire to help determine if Candida illness MAY be a problem for you, and a section devoted to ADHD in children. The rest of the site of course plugs the books and publications.

5. Candida and Candidiasis .. and Irritable Bowel Syndrome comprehensive information from about.com. Not specifically low-carb, but many links and resources.

6. Paleodiet.com .. The Paleolithic Eating Support List's Recipe Collection -- Recipes are: grain-free, bean-free, potato-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free. Ingredients used: meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts, and berries.

7. Specific Carbohydrate Diet .. is a strict grain-free, lactose-free, and sucrose-free dietary regimen intended for those suffering from various inflammatory bowel diseases, Celiac Disease, and IBS. Not specifically low carb, the diet restricts the types of carbs consumed to prevent udigested sugars and starch from reaching the colon, where bacteria, yeast and other parasites thrive, causing illness and disease. There is some useful information dealing with Candida in Q & A format.

8. Specific Carbo. Diet Recipes .. not all are low carb, since honey and fruits are permitted for those not dealing with overweight or yeast-related problems. But there are some good low carb recipes in there too, and a few grain-free breads using ground almonds and egg whites.

9. Diet as a Tool for Health .. from Healing Crow archive, now hosted at scdiet.net .. promotes high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets for treating chronic illness, including Candida.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 19:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

A. Low Carb Books dealing with Candida and Carb-related Bowel disorders.

1. Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (rev. 2001) by Dr. Robert C. Atkins .. Devotes a chapter to Candida illness as a possible cause for stalled weight loss.

2. Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution (1998) by Dr. Robert C. Atkins .. Brief chapter on digestive health, recommended supplements.

3. Protein Power Lifeplan (2000) by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades. Devote an extensive chapter to the Leaky Gut: Diet and Autoimmune Response, including Candida illness and IBS. Recommendations for low carb, and helpful nutritional supplements.

4. Neanderthin : Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body (1999) by Ray V. Audette, Troy Gilchrist . Restoring digestive health with a non-processed, natural diet as our ancestors ate.

5. Thin for Good (2000) by Fred Pescatore, M.D. Chapter on weight loss stalls, with good overview of yeast problems and food allergies.

6. Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook (1995) by Robert C. Atkins M.D. and Fran Gare M.S. -- brief chapter on Candida, yeast-free menu plan and recipes

7. GO-Diet: The Goldberg-O'Mara Diet Plan (1999), by Jack Goldberg PhD, and Karen O'Mara D.O. This low-carb, moderate protein plan is based on correcting fatty acid imbalance, and incorporates live-culture yogurt and kefir to ensure healthy intestinal flora.

B. Non-Low Carb Books

1. "the Yeast Connection" (1986) by William G. Crook M.D. is the Gold Standard, and a pioneer in the study and treatment of Yeast-related illness in children and adults alike. Other books include "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Yeast Connection" and "Detecting Your Hidden Allergies" and more

2. "the Yeast Connection Cookbook - A Guide to Better Nutrition and Better Health" (1989) by William G. Crook M.D. and Marjorie Hurt-Jones R.N. Yeast-, sugar- and dairy-free.

3. "the Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook - Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet" (1996) by Jeanne Marie Martin and Zoltan Rona M.D. Drugs, herbs and supplements for treating yeast-related illness. Extensive food lists, menus and recipes, many are low carb. Highly recommended.

4. "Candida-Related Complex : What Your Doctor Might Be Missing" (1996) by Christine Winderlin, Keith Sehnert .. Less extensive than the previous book, but good nonetheless. Includes drug and non-drug treatments, controlled- and low-carb diet plans, recipes and more.

5. "Breaking the Vicious Cycle - Intestinal Health Through Diet" (1997) by Elaine Gottschall B.A., M.Sc. details the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which promotes bowel health with a grain-, sucrose- and lactose-free regimen. Includes reciipes, and shopping guide for Canada and US. Can be adapted for severe Candida control by eliminating sweet fruits and honey.

6. "the Allergy Self-Help CookBook" (1984) by Marjorie Hurt-Jones R.N. Several chapters on food allergies, health and nutrition, extensive food lists and descriptions of less-common vegetables, and grain alternatives, such as quinoa and amaranth. Most recipes are wheat, corn, yeast, sugar, dairy and egg-free.

7. "Fats That Heal / Fats That Kill" (1993) by Udo Erasmus PhD. Several chapters dealing with Candida yeast overgrowth, leaky gut, irritable and inflammatory bowel disease and the roles of essential fats and nutrition.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 14:12

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 257/253/143
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default thanks

hi Doreen,
just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort you put into compiling the lists/links for IBS etc
I am on my way to reading them
Harley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 02:59
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks Doreen for the information. I just found out that I have yeast infection and I could believe it. I have a rash that formed between my breast and iched liked crazy. The doctor diagoned it as yeast. So now I am looking into what I am eating that is causing it. It might be the reason I am not losing. I will reread Dr. Atkins book. But the information was wonderful. Thanks again.
Donna
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 18:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/167.5/150
BF:FAT
Progress: 58%

Thanks for the info Doreen as usual your a wealth of information. Thanks for your time and dedication.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 19:12
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

The Candida Albicans Yeast-Free Cookbook is a Lo-Carb program.

Donna, Any yeast related symptom appearing on your skin will take a while to go away after starting a yeast killing program. It takes time for the toxins to get out of your skin. Been on mine for a week and can't wait for the itchy flaky scalp to go away!!!

Last edited by m1whowaits : Wed, Feb-26-03 at 19:15.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:30

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Post Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

My wife has had the symptoms of Crohn's colitis on and off most of her life. She has tried other popular bowel disease diets for two years with unsatisfactory mixed results. My research during these two years has culminated in the preparation of a new low-carbohydrate diet program which has given her excellent results, so I thought I would pass the link along for anyone with any bowel diseases or a Candida yeast infection.

Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Wed, Mar-05-03 at 11:32.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 11:27

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default WOW!

All I can say is WOW to the
amount of info in this thread
alone!
I don't like what I am reading
about MORE dietary changes.

This is going to be a struggle
for me. I LOVE all the foods
that were discribed in these
articles. I feel discouraged in
the fact that I will have to give
my cheese away. I love cheese!
(I have whiskers ><)
Thanks so much for taking the
time to put this together. It
sure is helpful.
Tanya
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:28

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Doreen,

I am wondering about what appears to be confusion between the terms irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative colitis are IBD's. They are not interchangeable terms. IBS and IBD have separate diagnoses and we should take care to not lump them together.
----------------------------------------
Criteria for IBS Diagnosis - found in large intestine (colon)

Abdominal pain or discomfort for at least 12 weeks out of the previous 12 months. These 12 weeks do not have to be consecutive.

Abdominal pain or discomfort has two of the following three features:

It is relieved by having a bowel movement.

When it starts, there is a change in how often you have a bowel movement.

When it starts, there is a change in the form of the stool or the way it looks.

Impacts only the lining of the colon
------------------------------------------
Criteria for IBD Diagnosis - Crohn's Disease is usually found in small intestine (ileum) and beginning of the large intestine (colon). UC is found in the large intestine (colon).

Crohn's impacts the entire structure of the intestine and is unevenly distributed, with diseased portions divided by healthy intestine. UC targets the mucosa (superficial layers) and is usually an even and continuous distribution of disease.

Abnormal immune response - white blood cells infiltrate the intestinal lining and cause inflammation.

Loose, watery, and frequent bowel movements

Fatigue, joint pain, and skin problems

Anal fissues

Fistulaes

I do appreciate the good information here. Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page when talking about IBS vs. IBD.

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 10:15

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

THE NUTRITIONAL HEALING GUIDE (available at most health food stores).

THE YEAST CONNECTION by Dr Crook (his book literally saved my life).

Supplies for herbs and other items you may need to beat down the yeast
www.herbplenty.net Their prices are pretty good!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:56
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

Just wanted to say that I have IBS & UC and since I have been on a LC WOE, neither have given me much trouble. As a side note my acid reflux is all but gone, haven't had to take a Ranitidine in months.

However, I seemed to have developed a skin yeast infection behind my ear, my scalp, my neck, under 1 breast and it seems to keep spreading, so I will definetely check out the links to figure out what is causing it so it will go away!!!! I thinks this is worse than Poison Ivy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

Jeeze,

No cheese, mushrooms or nuts, I already cut out almost all of the other stuff.

Oh-Man!!!!

Thanks for the info, I think this has been what's been plagueing my mom!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:51
Registered Member

Stats: 146/132/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Talking All I can say is...

THANK YOU! I'm only 27 and have struggled with IBS for years! And before ever even reading any of this info I tried LC/Atkins to loose weight! And found that sadly I didn't lose more than 10 pounds...BUT my IBS was SOOO much better! Wow for the first time in years I actually felt good! And I FELT thinner because I wasn't so bloated! I actually enjoyed leaving my house! I no longer had to lock myself in my room away from EVERYONE until my episodes went away! It was great! But I didn't yet realize that is was the LC helping my stomach! So frustrated that I wasn't loosing anymore weight, I went to Weight Watchers...which I do have to say is a great WOE for many people, but not for me! Within 2 days of eating that way ALL of my stomach problems came back! I was MISARABLE!!!!! I cried and was sooo frusterated! But then I started to think back on how good I felt on LC and no exageration within 2 days back on LC I felt great again!

Now every now and then I'll eat something LC that will upset my stomach, especially CarboLite products and sugar free chocolates and a few other things! But I do my best to avoid them because it's no longer about weight loss it's about living a happier, healthier and freeier life!

THANKS again for all of this info! I'm going to read more into the SCD to see if there are a few more things I can cut out to reduce the few episodes I still have!

You are all awesome in sharing your wisdom, experience, info and time to help others! PAT YOURSELFS ON THE BACK! ;0)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:36

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Mom2haylee,

Try my plateau busting LC diet plan in combination with the restrictions on my IBD, IBS, Candida page. It's not really all that difficult. Just a few specific guidelines.

Breaking Stalls and Plateaus on the Low-Carbohydrate Diet.

Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, IBD, IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis & Candida.

Lets us know how it works.

Kent
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 01:12
Registered Member

Stats: 146/132/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thanks you SOOO mcuh...

I will read your info and hopefully it will help! I'll post an update soon! I am also quitting smoking right now (bad choice when you're also trying to loose weight and fight temptation) so the next couple of weeks will be a little tough! I've never had such bad food cravings...even when I was a carb junkie!!!

But thanks again and I'll post soon! ;0)