Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 02:52

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default supplements

I'm eating mostly greens, crucifers, high fat and moderate protein.
Does anyone doing paleo/neand/primal on this thread NOT take supplements to make up for eating less fruits and etc???

I checked my old bottle of vitamins...had some freezedried veg and fruits in them and then came to "wheat germ" Really? Aargh. I pitched it out.

I am deficient in D3 so I have that. I eat sardines often and avocado so I don't think I need fish/krill oil. I have a cal/mag powder (calm) but I'm not consistent w/that either. I know the Eskimos were fine w/out fruits and veggies. What are you doing? T
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 07:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many of the Paleo writers recommend some supplement, not because of the lack of fruits, but more concerns about the quality of the present food supply. For example less iodine and magnesium in the foods and water. Of course, different ones recommend different supplements and you could go crazy adding them all. Our library has the new edition of the Perfect Health Diet that was useful for supplements, or look on his website.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

Dr. Davis who you could say somewhat follows an ancestral based way of eating with no grains and no sugar wrote his suggestions recently: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...at-elimination/

I use a multi, D, Magnesium, Kelp for iodine, and Omega 3 ...each one for health issues of concern to me.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-25-13 at 10:11.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 14:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you're deficient in D3 you're going to need to eat a beluga whale's worth of sardines to catch up. Why not just take 5-10k supplement of D3, at least until you get caught up.

There's 405iu in one cup of sardines... you'd need to eat 15 cups of sardines a day to really raise your D3 level.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 18:38

BF:

I am now taking a prescription D3 (one 50,000 a wk)

Because B12 and folate/folic acid can cause tumor growth I have been having no success in finding a multivitamin/mineral supplement w/out that in it. Have you found anything w/out it? Terry
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 18:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No, but it is a reason the Jaminets at Perfect Health Diet suggest buying supplements as individual vitamins..they are not a fan of multis.
I was on 50,000/wk plus extra D non prescription on and off for two years....and my level didn't budge. It was only when I switched from low fat vegetarian, to high fat, low carb paleo that my Vit D finally recovered to the higher levels doctors had advised for cancer protection. Took at least a year
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 22:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmm... why would you need a prescription for 50,000 iu? You can buy it in that dosage. Or take 2 5,000 iu a day 5 days a week. Always take D3 with a fat, like a tsp of peanut butter or coconut oil. You need fat to properly absorb it.

I'm not a fan of multi-vitamins either. I just take whatever I think I need.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 17:03

BF:

Nancy the doc wrote me a script for slow release D3 as I was low in it. It is inexpensive and convenient since I don't like swallowing capsules, to take it just once a week. I didn't mean that I take sardines for the D3, but for the good fats, just like the avocados I eat. btw doing good, feeling good and looking forward to good results in my health.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: vegetables
Stats: 60/50/50 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 100%

It is advisable to take vitamins. The quality of the food you take does not contain all the necessary supplements your body needs. Most doing the paleo diet take Iron, Iodine and Magnesium supplements.