Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
I certainly did not mean to be rude. I read each reply carefully and appreciate them all very much. I'll be sure to follow up more often.

I'd also just like to say that every day when I get home from work I look forward to looking at my replies. I am a single mom of 4 working 50+ hours a week without a lot of free time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 05:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
On many days, I am not eating enough vegetables. I do eat them, just not enough for the carb requirement.

Perfectly understand, but it is hard to give advice unless we know which plan (20 net carbs, total, or more ) and what foods you ate that day. We will all have different ideas to help you defeat those cravings if we know what food you ate.

Having fewer vegetables per se is unlikely to set off cravings. You wrote you have added nuts...that is supposed to be 1 oz. which is not much. For me, especially if eaten alone as a snack, nuts will set off cravings. If I want to lose weight and not just maintain, I have to revert to the Duke Clinic plan, no nuts.

But a more common issue for woman use to a WW style dieting, is not eating enough protein and fat in the meals you do have. You should be able to be satisfied with 3 meals and no snacking, but if not, try have 30g protein at each meal and enough fat to be satisfied. You don't have to "force the fat" but eating a skinless chicken breast doesn't have enough natural fat either. And without vegetables you are missing the vehicle for some butter. If you have a salad, add an extra T olive oil. Once the hunger is tampered down, try varying your meal patterns. Here are more tips when you are using an Atkins plan:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 06:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

So it seems like we solved the mystery- you need more veggies. Also, the idea of pork fried rice using cauli appealed.
Look in freezer section- green giant and Hanover both sell pre riced cauli now. It's a huge time saver!
We love shrimp fried rice and I make it using cauli every few weeks now that I can buy the pre riced stuff
It's great to make gumbo or paella, too (if your kids would enjoy those dishes).
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 04:23

And the fresh veg section too...now seeing bags of "cauliflower crumbles" showing up in regular grocers in addition to those in freezer. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have bags of riced broccoli next to fresh riced cauliflower...pink shrimp fried in pale green "rice". Also bags of shredded cabbage...can whip up a crackslaw in no time. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...756#post9201756
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 08:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

OMG - jumping into the thread to say I had no idea I could buy pre- riced cauli, frozen or fresh! It takes so long ( I don't enjoy cooking) but it's so good ... Only do it every couple months. I'll look in Vancouver (no Trader Joe's in Canada but I bet Whole Foods might)

Once again, senior members -- just a fountain for information.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 09:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I would buy this also... I'm willing to dice onions or garlic fairly fine, but I'm not really fond enough of any other vegetables to do much more than cut them up chunky. I prefer frozen over fresh vegetables, because I will actually bother with those.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 09:25

This is the fresh line I now see in regular stores, including the Walmart's that have large grocery sections. http://greengiantfresh.com/cauliflower-crumbles
(pizza crust recipe on this link)

And Green Giant also has the frozen riced cali and broccoli mix...they both freeze well so using the frozen version is just as good. Happy to help...I'd love to return to Vancouver to help you find it in your stores. Gorgeous city
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 09:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
... I'll look in Vancouver (no Trader Joe's in Canada but I bet Whole Foods might).....

Loblaws Superstore (a.k.a. Real Canadian Superstore) carries it in the bagged salad section, next to other cut-up veggies for cooking (stir-fry mix, cubed squash etc).

http://www.taylorfarms.com/products...iflower-pearls/

#24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 00:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yay! I just worked a 12.5 hour day and this is good news! I'll go to Superstore tomorrow!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 06:38

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
Yay! I just worked a 12.5 hour day and this is good news! I'll go to Superstore tomorrow!

Please report back ... If they have it, I'll go out of my way to check the Superstore here in Nanaimo.
Thanks!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-17, 12:48

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
You may not have eaten enough to satisfy you, as has been pointed out. Alternately, I think it's also possible that you didn't eat food that was interesting enough to satisfy you on another level.

If I eat a meal of tuna and olive oil, I'll probably not have to eat very much of it to be satiated--if your definition of satiated is not willing to stomach more tuna and olive oil. Blecch. If this is my only option, I'm on a deserted island with nothing but tuna and olive oil, this might even be an effective diet. But I'll have my eye out for something more interesting, and the undereating due to the low palatability of a pure tuna and olive oil diet will make it more likely that I'll take advantage of anything more interesting that comes along.

But a pork stir fry, well-seasoned with yummy on-plan veggies, maybe some sugar-free jello with a bit of heavy cream, or a coffee with some sweetener and "mountains of whipped cream," as Dr. Atkins describes in Atkins '72 (likely for somebody past induction level, since even heavy cream is more restricted during that period). I forget which book the recipe is in, but Dr. Atkins once suggested that I wrap a piece of bacon around some cream cheese, and then deep fry it. That might not appeal to you--the point is to make the diet interesting enough that it satisfies your need to get both nourishment and enjoyment. We are not just filling a gas tank here, the things that keep us alive are supposed to be pleasurable.

I LOVE this encouraging post...thank you very much--it really helped me right now.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-17, 13:49

Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I just had pork fried cauliflower rice. It was sooooo good! Thank you for the idea!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 08:04
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

pork fried rice on a low carb diet? Maybe you should calorie count instead of doing low carb. Eat your pork fried rice..and salad the rest of the day. But you aren't going to lose a thing unless you stick to a plan.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 08:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There's no actual rice involved, just cauliflower grated into little rice sized bits. You may also run into cauliflower mashed potatoes that have no potato, just cauliflower, or cauliflower pizza--the crust is made from cheese, eggs, and cauliflower.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 16:10

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Way off topic here, but I've used cauliflower rice to make shrimp and grits and they were delicious. I've also made Mark Bittman's Fried rice with cauliflower rice. I thought I was going to have to give up those two favs, but I didn't. 😏