Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/232/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Unhappy Feeling totally defeated...

Over the past few weeks I have been overloading on the fake sweetener foods. I've been eating LC ice cream, Atkins bars/shakes, LC cookies, decaf coffee with splenda... you name it and I've been eating it. And my weight loss has slowed to almost non-existent. The problem is that I've tried cutting out these things and I haven't been able to... I feel totally defeated. First I was addicted to carbs, now I've become addicted to LC sweet foods...

I need support and help to stop eating those things... I just can't stop... And the problem is that when I eat that stuff I start craving all sorts of HC foods and I end up eating the fake sugar foods again even though I try not to....

I need to go cold-turkey, but I just can't. I feel so upset and angry because my food addictions are getting away from me again... I feel like I will never lose this weight and I will be heavy forever...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 21:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

You are right -- you need to stop eating them and you can do it. I also can't handle the artificial sugars, so I know exactly where you are coming from. I bought a package of lowcarb Klondike bars a couple of weeks ago and it was a pretty sad scene. I ended up going on the first eating binge I have had since starting low carbing 21 months ago!

This is what I did to get over the Klondike bar problem (after throwing the remainder of the bars in the garbage can) -- I gave myself permission to eat as much as I wanted as long as it was healthy lowcarb (no artificial sugar). I really did pig out for about a day on nuts and cheese and various other lowcarb things. I ate way more calories than I normally eat. However, by doing so I was able to resist the cravings for artificial sugar and give myself a clean start. The next day I returned to eating normal quantities of lowcarb food and I didn't do any long-term harm. My weight went up a pound or two, but I've lost those pounds and more since then.

So, my suggestion is to give yourself permission to eat, but just not to eat the fake sugar. If you are craving it, eat something else, even if you know that you really aren't hungry. The cravings will disappear in a day or two and then you can go back to eating normally.

The other thing to do is to focus on doing this one hour at a time. Tell yourself that just for the next hour you will not eat anything other than wholesome lowcarb foods. Anyone can do that for an hour. If things get bad, go out and take a walk or do something else to get your mind off sweets.

You can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 22:13

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

{{{hugs}}} I totally sympathize and have been battling the same demon for a week now.
All I can say is that it's HARD, but yes, we can do it. I'm currently only allowing myself sugar free jello, and find myself always tempted to go get something else sweet.

You can do it, even if it's slowly. We could even start a challenge, I'm sure there are others who want to break that habit too. It slows my weight so drastically also.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 23:15
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I understand where you are. Over the past month or so, I have found my consumption of "sweet" things increase. For me, it's just SF ice cream once a day and some Splenda on strawberries but I look forward eagerly to it in the same way I used to look forward to other stuff. Not true cravings yet but not the healthy attitude that I am trying to cultivate.

I agree with Liz that it's best to get rid of them completely by replacing them with things that get rid of the cravings and thereby recognize that these things are a danger point to you (as I recognize they are to me).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 23:37

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I sure understand what you are going through and yes, I think the suggestions about going cold turkey are good. When I have those cravings I eat fat and sure enough they will pass. I am a terrible sweets addict. As a matter of fact, I cried real tears when Liz tossed out her klondikes although I have never had one. Such a terrible way to go! Jen, hang in there. You aren't alone. Many of us have to fight those demons and together we can do it.

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 00:41
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I think Liz had a great idea for going cold turkey. Throw them out of the house and then spend the day or two after doing whatever you need to in order to get through the day without getting and consuming more.

Good luck. I know you can do it. Be strong!

Valerie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 01:30
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

The cold turkey advice is obviously the best, but wonder what everyone thinks of this idea (which is what I might try doing): setting aside a day every two weeks or so where you allow yourself to eat all the crap (low-carb products, I mean) you feel like having. I feel like it might make a difference to me to know that I CAN have that stuff, just not on a daily basis. Sort of like the reward meal helps people psychologically on CAD.

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 01:47
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

JUST SAY NO AND STEP AWAY FROM THE SINFUL FOODS!

I know how you feel. I'm fighting these demons this week and last week too. I made DH take all the bad foods with him to work and now I have nothing in the house that I'm not suppose to eat. Not even a damn Atkins bar.

My boys have their food like mac n cheese and cereals up high and I'm too lazy to get a chair to reach them.

You can do this, so snap out of it ok. You deserve to look and feel your best.

Now, go look in the mirror, Smile and say, I AM BEAUTIFUL, I AM WORTH IT, I WILL BEAT THESE DEMONS AND I WILL LOSE WEIGHT AND REACH MY GOAL.

Now SMILE!

Feel better, good!

Hugs,
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 02:14
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thought this might help:

I crave sweets, bread and crackers. Why? And what can I do about it?

If you only recently started Atkins, your blood sugar levels probably haven’t stabilized yet. After adhering strictly to the Induction phase for five days, cravings should be under control. Occasionally, women will experience cravings just before a menstrual period. The longer you continue with Atkins, the fewer cravings you’ll have.

Skipping meals or going too long between meals may also cause cravings—one reason why eating regularly is important. Another possibility is that you may have a food intolerance, often called a food allergy. People often crave the very food they should stay away from. Foods to which people are often intolerant include milk products, peanuts, soy, wheat, yeast and corn. The only way to figure out if you are sensitive to a food is to eliminate various foods one at a time to see if the cravings abate.

Stress is yet another possible trigger for cravings. Blood sugar can become unstable when you’re under stress, which in turn leads to cravings. This is just one more reason to limit, and learn to manage, stress. Excessive caffeine can also cause a hypoglycemic response in some individuals, which can cause them to crave sweets. Adding L-glutamine to your nutrient program may help curb cravings. Also, Atkins Dieters' Advantage Formula contains nutrients and food extracts that help control appetite, including chromium to help stabilize blood sugar.

Consuming fat helps you feel satisfied, mitigating cravings. If you’re doing everything else right and still craving carbs, eat half of an Advantage® Bar, a few olives, some cheese, avocado or some cream cheese in a celery stick. Most important, don’t give in to cravings. Doing so will only result in more cravings and more cheating—and inevitable weight gain.

Aside from that excerpt from Atkin's site, there is another pill that you can take to cut out the cravings. I can't for the life of me remember what it is, but if you post about it, I'm sure someone will know. It seems like it just came out this year and it's supposed to cut them completely out. I have to say, I have noticed that when I eat the candies....I just crave more.....which unfortuately means that I have released insulin. Not a good thing. As good as they are, and as important that I think it is to have a treat once in a while, I think it's bad to have these around on a regular basis. A few things I would suggest are:

1. Eat enough calories (should be between 10-12 times your body weight).

2. Eat smaller more frequent meals. This will help stabilize blood sugar...therefore less cravings...it works I promise.

3. Eat more fat. Also helps you fill up faster and cut cravings.

4. Drink, drink, drink....water, green tea. Trust me, the more you drink the more you will feel like a water logged balloon!! You won't have any room for food. Green tea is supposed to boost your metabolism....drink 7 glasses a day. Drink it on top of all that water you're supposed to get and you'll hear that stomach sloshin!

5. Throw the bad food out....or have your loved ones hide it really well. Out of site, out of mind. And get rid of any hc foods in your house. No one in your house needs them....and loved ones should support you in this. You wouldn't keep alcohol in the house of an alcoholic. Same for us. If you know it's a problem, get rid of it. I've gotten rid of my kids junk too. It's just leading them to a healthier life.

6. Get that l-glutamine....it's supposed to really help!

7. Make a goal, like 10 lbs, whatever, and when you reach that goal, give yourself an lc treat. But just one. If you have a b-day coming up, make sure that the cake is small, or go out to eat. For people having a hard time saying no to sweats, the best thing you can do is make sure when you've had your treat that there are no leftovers to binge on. Remember it's important to celebrate life and still have something you enjoy once and a while. One treat a few times a year never made anyone fat. A whole lifetime of treats have gotten us to this point. Enjoy yourself, but know when to limit yourself.

8. Come back on here any time you need help.

Good luck to you!!! I know it's hard....I go through it too!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 04:29

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Damn those Frankenfoods to hell......
Not only do they preven weight loss for most of us, they are EXPENSIVE and so not good for you.

If you can take it day at a time, for 2 or 3 days, you will lose the cravings. They are terrible things really. I bought a box of sugar free sweets, and morning start bars to go on a live in training recently. They set me off on a 4 day binge when i got back grrrrrrrrr
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 05:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

My advice, go completely cold turkey - after a week youwon't want them again. Have ice water on hand for withdrawls, have lots of snacks - boiled eggs, celery, cream cheese, cucumber etc....

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 05:46
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

*HUGS*

I feel your pain. Over the past week I have faced the fact that I can't eat those products. I can't eat sugar, I can't eat bread, I can't eat sweets of any kind. Not as a reward, not 'once' not at all. Because if I start doing it, I don't have the power to stop.

And after only a week of clean induction, I don't really even feel like I'm missing out on anything! I know it's hard to believe... I spent two years on this board reading people say it without believing it. But don't follow my example. Throw the stuff away.

Maybe come with us and join the KISS challenge? Eat nothing but whole, natural, induction foods. You can do it for a week... you can do anything for just one week.

I know you can do this, because I did it. And I am a sugar junkie of the first degree.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:28
"Louisiana Lady"

Stats: 429/408.8/200 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am here with you too. My mom bought all of the LC "candy" bars to try. Oh yeah I tried em. To the point where I would sacrifice my meals carbd for candy/ice cream carbs. Anyway, they are all put up in the pantry now. I will try and eat 1 each week. It is very hard, because I am like--hmmm theres chocolate in the pantry!!!! Takr care, and you CAN do it!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:29

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
So, my suggestion is to give yourself permission to eat, but just not to eat the fake sugar. If you are craving it, eat something else, even if you know that you really aren't hungry. The cravings will disappear in a day or two and then you can go back to eating normally.

The other thing to do is to focus on doing this one hour at a time. Tell yourself that just for the next hour you will not eat anything other than wholesome lowcarb foods. Anyone can do that for an hour. If things get bad, go out and take a walk or do something else to get your mind off sweets.

I think this is fantastic advice!!!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:41

Plan: Perricone
Stats: 340/283/175 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hugs to you! I too have been trapped with the LC sweets. My body does not like them. I won't lose when I use them so..... I gave mine all away so I could continue to reach my goals. Like you said cold turkey!
You can do it! Look at all the support you get from us!
We will be your cheerleaders! Go Jen GO!!!!!!

JeniInWa